• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

Actually we didn't get what all the scouts, and star ratings promised.

What do you mean? He averaged 13 and 7. He had 7 double doubles including 3 20/10 games.

His freshman numbers were comparable to JJ and AFA as freshmen and Josh Howard as a sophomore and junior.

Put Hoard on a good team with few expectations, and he will be a productive pro.

I generally don't defend Manning but you can't do much if the kid ignores the explicit evaluation feedback they are given. I'm really surprised the sentiment is at least 50/50 on this being a good call. Hoard is now going to have to develop a special skill under fire against players much older and better than him. I'd suspect he will never play in an NBA game.

He's had 3 guys go pro without being guaranteed to be a 1st round pick in 2 years. All 3 of which could have helped the team. That's a dumpster fire. My only thought is that maybe they knew Hoard was leaving and the AD didn't want to leave a 1st year coach with a 5 win team.

Hoard has been given feedback from Manning and NBA execs - none of it is positive though he does have those 20/10 games against Cornell and HB to brag about. I agree it is troubling but there are idiot kids at other schools too.

Can you give us some examples of the feedback?

All I've been told it he has been informed he has no shot at the first round and would be better off waiting. I have my one source of info so take it as you will. If all accurate, it isn't surprising for a guy who largely was overwhelmed by the best teams/players in the league and showed no elite specialty skill.

Who cares anymore. Wake Forest basketball is nothing more than disappointment after disappointment. All hope is gone and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Ron Wellman destroyed it completely.

I generally don't defend Manning but you can't do much if the kid ignores the explicit evaluation feedback they are given. I'm really surprised the sentiment is at least 50/50 on this being a good call. Hoard is now going to have to develop a special skill under fire against players much older and better than him. I'd suspect he will never play in an NBA game.

How can you blame him for wanting out of this dumpster fire of a program?

And, yes, at a point you can blame Manning for this. He's lost lots of good players to uncertain prospects, both in transfers and in early entries.

DR, meet JamesSokolove.

Hoard will find his way into the league and have a nice career. It's not that bold of a prediction. His talents were wasted by a crap coach.

I think that’s a pretty bold prediction. Not many late second/undrafted guys even get a chance and the ones that do have a pretty defined skill. Hope I’m wrong, I’m rooting for him.

I don’t think it’s bold because most of us would have made the same prediction before the season. And he was a good player on a very bad team during the season.

Wake Basketball is fun for no one. Especially the players. We have a distinct culture. Losing. In addition the whole NCAA basketball structure makes changing that culture a lot harder than it used to be. Add in a mediocre to bad coach and it's about impossible. No one could blame any player for making questionable decisions to escape it all. In addition I don't think Manning sells Wake Forest like Clawson does. I think he sells he's got an inside line to Pro Ball. You see the result.

All I've been told it he has been informed he has no shot at the first round and would be better off waiting. I have my one source of info so take it as you will. If all accurate, it isn't surprising for a guy who largely was overwhelmed by the best teams/players in the league and showed no elite specialty skill.

who is your one source of info? what other info has he/she passed on to you in the past?

Bye. Nice kid but I can’t pretend like I’m bothered by this. At all.

And like someone mentioned, Danny’s excuse for coming back was player retention and returning production. Maybe this helps Currie make the right decision in a couple weeks. Doubtful, but I’ll hang on to hope.

Is he ready for the NBA? No, and it is not close. Will he be ready someday? Hard to tell but I think he could become some depth on an NBA team down the road 2-3 years. He was over ranked by scouts due to his elite athleticism but his skill level was nowhere near where it needed to be, not knocking him it is just the way it is. With hard work and specialized training (not from Manning thankfully for his sake) he has a chance but I certainly don't think it will be a slam dunk

Poor Danny can’t keep any of his players around longer than a season or two before they get sick of playing for him. Except for Brandon Childress of course.

Even if Hoard doesn't get drafted in the top 45-50 picks and get a gtd NBA contract it is extremely likely he will have a nice selection of two-way deal opportunities to pick from. Those pay in the 200k range and get him better training than he would receive at Wake Forest next year. Plus most two ways tend to sneak into some NBA minutes during the season.

Actually we didn't get what all the scouts, and star ratings promised.

Actually, his performance lines up very well with other freshman who came in with similar ratings, both this year and in prior years. Ayo has posted those comparisons several times. He played for a terrible coach who 1)failed to surround him with enough seasoned talent and, more importantly, 2)can’t coach.

Poor Danny can’t keep any of his players around longer than a season or two before they get sick of playing for him. Except for Brandon Childress of course.
He can trot out the young team excuse again.

Bye. Nice kid but I can’t pretend like I’m bothered by this. At all.

And like someone mentioned, Danny’s excuse for coming back was player retention and returning production. Maybe this helps Currie make the right decision in a couple weeks. Doubtful, but I’ll hang on to hope.

Go back and read his interview with Les. There was a mind boggling sequence that went something like this:

D: We’ve got lots of players coming back.
L: But Hoard is declaring for the NBA.
D: Sure but players do that to get evaluated.
L: But what about Crawford and Moore?
D: They’re pros now. Can’t be mad about that.

this is the smartest choice he could have made...to not be at wake under manning next year that is
he would have regressed even more. at least now he will be surrounded by good players and coaching

Back