• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

What do you mean? He averaged 13 and 7. He had 7 double doubles including 3 20/10 games.

His freshman numbers were comparable to JJ and AFA as freshmen and Josh Howard as a sophomore and junior.

Put Hoard on a good team with few expectations, and he will be a productive pro.

Stats? That's your point? And your excuse for him is he needed better teammates and fewer expectations? So it's a good idea to leave for the pros? He's not even in the same talent universe as JJ or AFA. He did literally nothing to transform Wake's team during the season as a pre-season one and done. No effect at all. He was universally touted by everyone including folks like you to be the best player on our team last season. He wasn't a leader, he wasn't a special teammate, he hardly ever delivered game winning plays. He didn't show any significant improvement in performance over the season, no handle, no jumpshot, no effort. Great resume for a pro contract......but it's not his fault, it's everybody else and his coaches that were the problem.....ridiculous.

What do you mean? He averaged 13 and 7. He had 7 double doubles including 3 20/10 games.

His freshman numbers were comparable to JJ and AFA as freshmen and Josh Howard as a sophomore and junior.

Put Hoard on a good team with few expectations, and he will be a productive pro.

So put Hoard on a team where other players carry the load, nothing is expected up him, and he'll deliver. Thundering endorsement.

Stats? That's your point? And your excuse for him is he needed better teammates and fewer expectations? So it's a good idea to leave for the pros? He's not even in the same talent universe as JJ or AFA. He did literally nothing to transform Wake's team during the season as a pre-season one and done. No effect at all. He was universally touted by everyone including folks like you to be the best player on our team last season. He wasn't a leader, he wasn't a special teammate, he hardly ever delivered game winning plays. He didn't show any significant improvement in performance over the season, no handle, no jumpshot, no effort. Great resume for a pro contract......but it's not his fault, it's everybody else and his coaches that were the problem.....ridiculous.

take Hoard/WF out of the preceding paragraph and plug in Shittu/Vanderbilt, or Montgomery/Kentucky, or Quentin Grimes/Kansas

all guys ranked higher than Hoard coming into the season, and none of them did much of anything this year

all with their names in the draft

Hoard's biggest problems were his motor and Danny's coaching. The latter can impact the former, but the player should play harder. There was rarely anyone who could stop Hoard but Danny didn't get him the ball enough.

So put Hoard on a team where other players carry the load, nothing is expected up him, and he'll deliver. Thundering endorsement.

I described a large percentage of NBA players. As always, people will say they blame the coach but inevitably will blame the players.

I described a large percentage of NBA players. As always, people will say they blame the coach but inevitably will blame the players.

Truth. Would Manning even have made the bubble with UVA's roster?

It is really hard to gauge Hoard's ability when he was rarely put in a position to succeed. Better to hope GM's look at the potential from before Manning "coached" him.

Except for the productive part. But then again, teams have to have enough players to run a practice.

All in all, though, I am still of the opinion Hoard should have left. Another year of Wake b-ball and Manning have nothing to offer him that would be of any significance.

Truth. Would Manning even have made the bubble with UVA's roster?

It is really hard to gauge Hoard's ability when he was rarely put in a position to succeed. Better to hope GM's look at the potential from before Manning "coached" him.

I should also add that it’s kind of hard for me to assess whether Hoard has NBA-level talent. First, I’m not a particularly good judge of talent at that level. Second, I watched about ten minutes of what was apparently Hoard’s only season at WFU.

Except for the productive part. But then again, teams have to have enough players to run a practice.

All in all, though, I am still of the opinion Hoard should have left. Another year of Wake b-ball and Manning have nothing to offer him that would be of any significance.

No downside to staying in the draft. Get full evaluation and see where he lands, THEN decide if the offer is worthy or spend a year or two playing and getting paid 10x G League $ in Europe.

Good luck to him. Was hoping for one more year, but oh well.

This is how a lot of successful professionals get their start. I'm not quite sure which point you are trying to make here.

Anybody else glad? I mean let’s say Hoard improved greatly next year and we squeak into the NCAA, Manning is around at least another year or 2 after that. This way we most likely suck next year and we finally get rid of Manning.

This post, wow, such a bad take.

I feel completely different about Hoard than Moore/Crawford. Imo Hoard is a pro. He will make meaningful money in the NBA. I expect him to spend a good amount of time in the Dleague next year but he is a really good player.

The guy Hoard reminds me of is Khris Middleton. 6’9” swing forward with a good release. Will not surprise me at all to see Hoard develop an excellent jumper In the NBA and become a contributor. It saying he will be as good as Middleton, but I think that he has that upside.

I feel completely different about Hoard than Moore/Crawford. Imo Hoard is a pro. He will make meaningful money in the NBA. I expect him to spend a good amount of time in the Dleague next year but he is a really good player.

The guy Hoard reminds me of is Khris Middleton. 6’9” swing forward with a good release. Will not surprise me at all to see Hoard develop an excellent jumper In the NBA and become a contributor. It saying he will be as good as Middleton, but I think that he has that upside.

Saw Aminu stroking three's last night for the Trail Blazers, so Hoard developing a jumper is definitely possible.

Back