• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

In the 1980s, there was a WF student who didn't play basketball (he may not even have played IM basketball) I think his name was Dewey O'Kelley, who just for the F of it, filled out the necessary paperwork to declare for the NBA draft. There are FAR less consequential early entrants in the NBA draft than Hoard. Hoard may get drafted; there are dozens of early entrants each year that don't get drafted, don't get on a Summer League roster, don't even get a FA tryout look.

Hoard had one of the lowest motors of anyone I recall playing at Wake. He disappeared for long stretches of the game where you'd forget he was even out there and he rarely sought to isolate and drive to the basket. Despite these stretches, he still averaged 13 and 7. If he rounds out his outside shooting (22% obviously sucks) and finds a higher energy level to produce for most of the time he's on the court, I think he will be a decent pro.

Unfortunately, since his stock has only dropped over the year it remains to be seen if he really even gets that opportunity in the NBA.

In the 1980s, there was a WF student who didn't play basketball (he may not even have played IM basketball) I think his name was Dewey O'Kelley, who just for the F of it, filled out the necessary paperwork to declare for the NBA draft. There are FAR less consequential early entrants in the NBA draft than Hoard. Hoard may get drafted; there are dozens of early entrants each year that don't get drafted, don't get on a Summer League roster, don't even get a FA tryout look.

I am talking about from Wake. And people that actually played on the team.

Hoard had one of the lowest motors of anyone I recall playing at Wake. He disappeared for long stretches of the game where you'd forget he was even out there and he rarely sought to isolate and drive to the basket. Despite these stretches, he still averaged 13 and 7. If he rounds out his outside shooting (22% obviously sucks) and finds a higher energy level to produce for most of the time he's on the court, I think he will be a decent pro.

Unfortunately, since his stock has only dropped over the year it remains to be seen if he really even gets that opportunity in the NBA.

Which is the reason to comeback. Many second round picks get semi-guaranteed contracts for 2-3 years at the minimum or two-way rate. If he's undrafted, that's the best he can hope for. If he returns and improves a little, he can be a first round pick.

The downside is minimal or less. The upside helps him massively.

Which is the reason to comeback. Many second round picks get semi-guaranteed contracts for 2-3 years at the minimum or two-way rate. If he's undrafted, that's the best he can hope for. If he returns and improves a little, he can be a first round pick.

The downside is minimal or less. The upside helps him massively.

Yeah I agree that he didn't make the right decision. John Collins made the right decision. Hoard needed that 2nd year to gain skills and guarantee an NBA contract. I'd hate to see his decision cost him a few million dollars over the next few years.

I feel completely different about Hoard than Moore/Crawford. Imo Hoard is a pro. He will make meaningful money in the NBA. I expect him to spend a good amount of time in the Dleague next year but he is a really good player.

The guy Hoard reminds me of is Khris Middleton. 6’9” swing forward with a good release. Will not surprise me at all to see Hoard develop an excellent jumper In the NBA and become a contributor. It saying he will be as good as Middleton, but I think that he has that upside.

Sort of this. I disagree with posters he had a low motor. I thought he worked hard on offense for positioning. If he develops a money outside jumper - no guarantee - even if it is a few feet in from the 3 point line, his dribble drive will be that much more potent. I think he is going to have trouble with his dribble drive in the NBA unless he can force defenders to play his jumpshot. No great take because that is true of just about any player in the NBA under 7 feet, but with Hoard right now, he's got two dribble drive moves and he telegraphs which one he's initiated way too early. He's gonna be totally stymied when guys jump the move on him.

This post, wow, such a bad take.

In what way "a bad take" ? Hoard was one of the most forgettable highly ranked recruits we've ever had as far as his impact on wake basketball. I'm not suggesting his leaving is anything but his own choice to make. But I am saying his leaving can't in any way be measured favorably by what he contributed to the team last season. Certainly not in any comparison to AFA or JJ. I'd bet most people, including NBA execs and scouts are considering him as "potential", not close to ready. So again, I'm not buying the notion that he proved himself as NBA ready in his one year at Wake, and I'm not buying the idea that his performance issues are solely based on coaching or the team around him. Based on what we've seen, he's got a challenge ahead of him to become a productive NBA player. Maybe he will, but I think everyone would have a better idea of his chances if he'd shown more in college.

It's not going to happen, but if Hoard goes undrafted, he's allowed to come back to Wake if he chooses under the new rules (and we have a scholarship for him), correct?

Once again we lose a player that should be coming back. We have all our slots filled at least at this point. However, we have a void at power forward. Why not get a grad transfer? They are a one season placeholder like Manning.

FYI - Al Farouq averaged 12.9 / 8.2 his freshman year.

I feel like a lot of Wake fans bought into the Hoard hype from Wake/Manning (and from Hoard himself). He was never a Top 10, much less a Top 5 recruit that was going to step in and be dominate from Day 1, carrying an otherwise bad team to victory. He performed basically exactly as you'd expect from him. The fact that certain Wake fans and our AD played him up as some sort of high impact savior isn't on him. He was what he should have been. If Manning had bothered to keep anyone else of any talent around, Hoard probably would have been even better last year playing with them.

There's not much evidence from the last 5 seasons that sticking around another year would benefit his career. Collins was more than likely an exception, suceeding in spite of Manning and his system rather than because of it. There's just as much, if not more, of a chance that Hoard's stock would continue to drop if he stuck around another year, even if his production went up a bit.

FYI - Al Farouq averaged 12.9 / 8.2 his freshman year.

I said earlier that I look at Hoard as a poor man's AFA. I suspect his NBA career, if there is one, will also reflect that.

AFA was the #7 recruit in that class, joining a team w/ future NBA players Teague & Johnson (sophs) and Ish (junior). That team also had frosh Tony Woods & Ty Walker (both highly ranked).

They went 24-7 (11-5), finishing 2nd in the ACC regular season.

AFA probably would have had much bigger numbers if Teague (18.8/3.3/3.5) & JJ (15.0/8.5/2.0) weren't on that team. His 15.8ppg / 10.7rpg as a soph reflect that (when Ish was the only other double-digit scorer on the roster).

I realize Manning sucks as a coach, and that Hoard was a lower ranked recruit than AFA, but AFA was clearly a better player as a frosh. I used the comp because they were both very raw in skills, but rich in athleticism. AFA turned 18 right before his frosh season... Hoard was 19 (and just turned 20 on 3/30).

The bottom line with me is that I wish Hoard well. I don't question his motor like some others do, but I also don't think he assured of success at the next level. He's going to have to get a lot better.

I feel like a lot of Wake fans bought into the Hoard hype from Wake/Manning (and from Hoard himself). He was never a Top 10, much less a Top 5 recruit that was going to step in and be dominate from Day 1, carrying an otherwise bad team to victory. He performed basically exactly as you'd expect from him. The fact that certain Wake fans and our AD played him up as some sort of high impact savior isn't on him. He was what he should have been. If Manning had bothered to keep anyone else of any talent around, Hoard probably would have been even better last year playing with them.

There's not much evidence from the last 5 seasons that sticking around another year would benefit his career. Collins was more than likely an exception, suceeding in spite of Manning and his system rather than because of it. There's just as much, if not more, of a chance that Hoard's stock would continue to drop if he stuck around another year, even if his production went up a bit.

Collins was helped by having Crawford around as his PG, for sure. I mean relative to Hoard having Childress, of course.

I actually think Hoard would have benefited from playing another year at Wake, but I understand why he's not going to.

I actually think Hoard would have benefited from playing another year at Wake, but I understand why he's not going to.

I think he may have benefitted. But I don't think the risk is worth it. At best it was a 50/50 IMO.

Does anyone else follow @boomerprn on the Twitters? Seems like the whole "lamenting what one and done has done to college basketball" is perfect source material for them.

Back