• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

I said earlier that I look at Hoard as a poor man's AFA. I suspect his NBA career, if there is one, will also reflect that.

AFA was the #7 recruit in that class, joining a team w/ future NBA players Teague & Johnson (sophs) and Ish (junior). That team also had frosh Tony Woods & Ty Walker (both highly ranked).

They went 24-7 (11-5), finishing 2nd in the ACC regular season.

AFA probably would have had much bigger numbers if Teague (18.8/3.3/3.5) & JJ (15.0/8.5/2.0) weren't on that team. His 15.8ppg / 10.7rpg as a soph reflect that (when Ish was the only other double-digit scorer on the roster).

I realize Manning sucks as a coach, and that Hoard was a lower ranked recruit than AFA, but AFA was clearly a better player as a frosh. I used the comp because they were both very raw in skills, but rich in athleticism. AFA turned 18 right before his frosh season... Hoard was 19 (and just turned 20 on 3/30).

The bottom line with me is that I wish Hoard well. I don't question his motor like some others do, but I also don't think he assured of success at the next level. He's going to have to get a lot better.

I mean, yeah he probably would have had a bit more production without so much competition for shots, boards. Much bigger, IDK. He also had a competent point guard which would have been beneficial (just as it was for JC).

We had a lot of the same criticisms about AFA as we're seeing on this thread about Hoard, it just didn't matter as much because we were good. But AFA didn't have a handle, tried to take the ball down the court too much, didn't look like he cared, didn't seem to have a high motor, etc.

Understand why the perspective here is to believe that everything is Manning's fault.

Hard to argue otherwise, but the overall #1 pick in two of the last 3 drafts were coached by Johnny Jones (who is now coaching TX Southern) and Lorenzo Romar (who is now coaching Pepperdine) both are considered incompetent college coaches at their previous coaching stops. Is Matt McMahon (Murray State HC) the reason for Ja Morant blowing up? Probably more likely that his freakish talent bloomed late, and it would've happened wherever he played (even at WF).

Among the college coaches who tutored first round picks last year were Jim Christian, Josh Pastner, Avery Johnson, Billy Kennedy and Cuonzo Martin; not exactly a murderer's row of college coaching talent. Also, K has a long record of highly rated basketball prospects who's NBA draft stock plummet after their year or two in Durham. In other words, the NBA will find you if you can play. The NBA also is pretty good at distinguishing between well-coached productive college players who can't hack it in the "League".

Just like it seemed many over-praised Manning for John Collins "development" (the kid was a stud, and would've been an NBA player whomever coached him); think that those looking to pin Hoard's fall on Manning, also seem to be trying too hard to pile on. Every year, the NBA draft list has a lot of movement from the previous year's recruiting rankings. Hoard was probably slightly over-ranked as an incoming recruit, but Hoard has talent and still think that he could/should develop into an NBA player.

Last edited:
Because this is a lousy draft, guessing that Hoard gets selected in the 2nd round. He will play in the G League for a year as Wangor stated, and then have an undistinguished career on some NBA team's bench. I quickly reviewed Hoard's season and noted he didn't play particularly well against good teams. His best stats came against bad teams.

Because this is a lousy draft, guessing that Hoard gets selected in the 2nd round. He will play in the G League for a year as Wangor stated, and then have an undistinguished career on some NBA team's bench. I quickly reviewed Hoard's season and noted he didn't play particularly well against good teams. His best stats came against bad teams.

And there was a lot of stat padding after we were down 20+ and the game was decided. I guess at least he kept playing.

I think this is a bad decision. That said, I suppose he is doing Wake somewhat of a solid by not being wishy washy on his choice up intil late May while in the meantime we lose the ability to give his scholly to someone else.

But I will say he should have waited until he got solid feedback after camp. If you watch the NBA playoffs this year, it is easy to see how a kid not even guaranteed being drafted in the 2nd round could be seduced by the possibilities. I just hope he at least got some real life data points from all of the 2nd round or undrafted players in the 8/9 main rotations in the playoffs this year: Just on Denver you have Torrey Craig (undrafted), Paul Millsap (2nd round), Monte Morris (2nd round), Will Barton (2nd round), and Jokic (2nd round). Brooklyn has Joe Harris, Spencer Dinwiddle, Rodions Kuric, and Allen Crabbe (inj) in their rotation and all are 2nd rd players. Traveon Graham was not drafted and has taken Crabbe's spot in the rotation.

It does appear to me that with a few exceptions (Jokic, Gilbert Arenas, Carlos Boozer, Paul Millsap), non 1st round players have to really GRIND for a few years to work their way up into a guaranteed NBA roster spot. Good luck to the man. I hope he's culturally ready for Sioux Falls on a Wednesday night.

If you don’t question Hoard’s motor then how do you explain his simply standing around for large stretches of time on offense last season (from anywhere from the elbow to the corner, to refusing to move off ball, to having stretches of several possessions where he never even touched the ball, to situations where he would catch the ball squared up 10-15 feet from the basket ready to take his defender to the basket but instead opted to pass and then stand there watching)?

Yeah I agree that he didn't make the right decision. John Collins made the right decision. Hoard needed that 2nd year to gain skills and guarantee an NBA contract. I'd hate to see his decision cost him a few million dollars over the next few years.

It's just a weird decision. Hoard is young enough that he can play himself into a $2MM guaranteed contract with a good year in college. Going to the Draft now where he's a mid-late 2nd and will be paid the minimum (or so) makes no sense

It's just a weird decision. Hoard is young enough that he can play himself into a $2MM guaranteed contract with a good year in college. Going to the Draft now where he's a mid-late 2nd and will be paid the minimum (or so) makes no sense

It makes perfect sense if the kid simply hates playing for Danny

Ok. I have to ask. How is it that a guy who averages 13 pts a game and shoots .221 from from 3pt land is a mid second round draft pick? Aren't there at least a couple hundred of underclassmen in college who have these comparable stats or much better?

Ok. I have to ask. How is it that a guy who averages 13 pts a game and shoots .221 from from 3pt land is a mid second round draft pick? Aren't there at least a couple hundred of underclassmen in college who have these comparable stats or much better?

Not about stats it’s about how someone projects to improve and what player they can turn into over the next few year.

Oh nice find! I thought the rule was you could sign an agent but had to withdraw before the draft to come back. Good to know.
The bigger issue is that even if Hoard was not drafted and wanted to return, he has reportedly not taken classes since the season ended so it could be really hard, if not impossible, for him to be eligible to play next season. But regardless of whether he is drafted, he is not coming back to WF as he'll either be in the NBA, the G-League, or Europe next season.

Yeah the lack of class explains why people close to the program on the reporting side had no belief he’d return.

Also I don’t think that article is accurate given the next line says teams will be in flux until late May. I’d heard you can sign an agent and go through the combine then withdraw a couple weeks before the draft and come back

512c22c57d4beb282d8f2e4cf5e3f0cb.jpg

If you don’t question Hoard’s motor then how do you explain his simply standing around for large stretches of time on offense last season (from anywhere from the elbow to the corner, to refusing to move off ball, to having stretches of several possessions where he never even touched the ball, to situations where he would catch the ball squared up 10-15 feet from the basket ready to take his defender to the basket but instead opted to pass and then stand there watching)?

It is sometimes pretty hard to get excited and motivated when everything sucks.

The bigger issue is that even if Hoard was not drafted and wanted to return, he has reportedly not taken classes since the season ended so it could be really hard, if not impossible, for him to be eligible to play next season. But regardless of whether he is drafted, he is not coming back to WF as he'll either be in the NBA, the G-League, or Europe next season.

Must not beat the very, very dead horse.

Back