• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

The way I read the rule is that you can only come back to school after the draft if you were undrafted, yet participated in the NBA Combine.

Combine is invite only. Moore and Crawford did not get invited last year, FWIW.

Hoard is not coming back.

Hoard will be invited to the combine imo. I think some people on here will be surprised with his career. I think he will be quite good (meaning that he will have a solid 8+ year career and make a lot of money).

Hoard will be invited to the combine imo. I think some people on here will be surprised with his career. I think he will be quite good (meaning that he will have a solid 8+ year career and make a lot of money).

BUT WHAT ABOUT HIS EDUCATION ?!

I mean Hoard isn’t coming back because he always planned on being one and done, hasn’t gone to class, and overrates his abilities.

TITCR

It's just a weird decision. Hoard is young enough that he can play himself into a $2MM guaranteed contract with a good year in college. Going to the Draft now where he's a mid-late 2nd and will be paid the minimum (or so) makes no sense

If he is good enough to play himself into a 1st round pick next year, he’s good enough to play himself into a big contract after being a 2nd round pick this season.

Agree that he’ll go to the combine.

I think he’ll even be drafted.

I’m less bullish than you on his NBA career, though.

The guy went pro after one year and is borderline to be drafted at all. You don’t think that indicates he overrates his own abilities?

Given the number of playerswho have made similar decisions the last few years, I think it more likely indicates that players and those around them, after being in the program, see another year at Wake as more likely to hurt their career than help it. Sure, he probably overrates his abilities...like every other player at every other school that dreams of playing professionally but decided to stay in school for another year.

i can't believe we are going to lose another player hoping to be a 2nd round pick, but possibly not drafted. wtf is going on? I think Hoard will be a 2nd, but this is crazy...it used to be just 1st rounders. Wake is setting a new trend, and not a good one.

i can't believe we are going to lose another player hoping to be a 2nd round pick, but possibly not drafted. wtf is going on? I think Hoard will be a 2nd, but this is crazy...it used to be just 1st rounders. Wake is setting a new trend, and not a good one.

The only trend that Wake is setting is hiring, and holding onto, shitty coaches. We break that trend and all of the other issues sort themselves out.

The trend of players leaving early for the NBA is not Wake-specific. It just hurts us more because we suck and haven't been able to put consecutive recruiting classes together. Or recruit to needs... For example, why in the fuck did we not sign any decent bigs when we were thin to begin with? Even if Hoard stayed and Sarr improved, we still would have needed a decent 4/5 for ~20mpg.

But there are plenty of marginal prospects declaring and leaving early... This list this year is ridiculous, and it gets longer by the day.

Also troubling for Wake that there are a TON of transfers out there and we don't seem to be in the running for any (graduate or traditional). In past years, our really shitty players have moved on... This season, we have ZERO transfers and it seems like Hoard's scholarship is already going to a a project recruit (is Coleman going to sign?). Bringing in Torry Johnson seems like a huge mistake in hindsight... He couldn't play PG or shoot... Those minutes could have been used for Wright. Now we have an eligible White and Johnson is still here.

Just so many problems with our roster as currently constructed. I believe we have a decent amount of talent, but with Manning at the helm and a logjam at guard (with no bigs, aside from Sarr), it's tough to have any optimism.

Danny just realizes his 4 guard scheme is what was missing this year. He's playing chess while we play checkers.

The trend of players leaving early for the NBA is not Wake-specific. It just hurts us more because we suck and haven't been able to put consecutive recruiting classes together. Or recruit to needs... For example, why in the fuck did we not sign any decent bigs when we were thin to begin with? Even if Hoard stayed and Sarr improved, we still would have needed a decent 4/5 for ~20mpg.

But there are plenty of marginal prospects declaring and leaving early... This list this year is ridiculous, and it gets longer by the day.

Also troubling for Wake that there are a TON of transfers out there and we don't seem to be in the running for any (graduate or traditional). In past years, our really shitty players have moved on... This season, we have ZERO transfers and it seems like Hoard's scholarship is already going to a a project recruit (is Coleman going to sign?). Bringing in Torry Johnson seems like a huge mistake in hindsight... He couldn't play PG or shoot... Those minutes could have been used for Wright. Now we have an eligible White and Johnson is still here.

Just so many problems with our roster as currently constructed. I believe we have a decent amount of talent, but with Manning at the helm and a logjam at guard (with no bigs, aside from Sarr), it's tough to have any optimism.

I sort of agree with you on players leaving early for the NBA, but ...

Last year we had two players leave early to play pro who didn't get drafted, didn't play in the NBA, and weren't projected to play in the NBA. Programs with actual recruiting and development strategies provide a smoother transition when player leave early. Winning also factors into the decision of players leaning towards going pro. Take UVa. Mike Scott and Malcolm Brogdon were there for 5 YEARS. Both got a medical redshirt. Joe Harris was there four years. Villanova has guys leave early after breakout seasons, but every kid recruited there knows they will likely play under 20 minutes a game their frosh year, maybe even their soph year as they apprentice behind a future NBA or Euro pro.

We don't have a strategy. We bitch and moan about how we mucked up Collins, but he essentially Villanova-ed his frosh year. It's just - since we have no development or recruiting strategy it looks weird. Those types of season jumps happen to one or two players per year at Villanova.

I agree that Hoard always wanted to be a one-and-done -but any non dysfunctional program would have lured him back for another year with the hopes of the coming season, the chance to dominate as the game "slows down" and improve draft stock and earn more money from the get go. Because Hoard likely just saw one big slog upcoming with the upside of living near his sister and near a whole bunch of co-eds, he has essentially chosen Sioux Falls on a Wednesday night over Wake and the ACC. I repeat. Hoard has chosen Siouix Falls over Wake. Honestly, Currie needs to look at that and have a huge wtf moment. Even if he starts at a place of total neutrality - it's a huge red flag.

I actually think the stars are lining up for Billy Donovan. I know it's a fool's hope, but Monday night was awful for the Thunder - Coach D says Thunder weren't in the paint enough and that's why they lost; their star says no, coach is full of shit essentially. If the Thunder lose (tonight?) and are bounced from the playoffs, they'll need to either fire Donovan or trade Westbrook. They can't trade Westbrook.

Last edited:
https://247sports.com/Article/2019-NBA-Draft-underclassmen-College-players-leaving-early-for-NBA-130482866/

I'm on record as saying that Hoard should have stayed another year, but there are PLENTY of players on this list that made a more questionable decision. He's not going to be alone in Sioux Falls.

agreed, but he made his questionable decision the same day his coach was retained because all the scoring and rebounding was coming back per the talking points

Back