• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

Sure, but if he could return to a team that was expected to make the tournament as opposed to struggling, he would have more to comeback to.

Or he could put up sick numbers on another shitty Wake team.

I don’t disagree with you. Every situation is different.

The key question is whether a player develops more in college or playing professionally in a lower league (G-League or International). To me, it’s a no-brainer if a player is only in school for basketball.

I’ve seen others make this argument on here. I don’t think it’s nearly so cut and dry. College coaches are paid way more than g league coaches, and I think this results in much better coaching staffs, across the board, in college compared to the g league. Colleges also have much better training facilities, healthcare, travel, etc.

Again, Mo Harkless left after a 11-15 season at St. John's and worked his way into the lottery. Similar stats and measureables.

It's the information age, y'all. NBA teams have been following Hoard all year, even if the national punditry and press hasn't expressed much interest.

That’s a good comp, but it’s an old one.

More information doesn’t mean NBA teams are any better about drafting.

Though I think most of the errors are falling in love with guys on teams with successful March runs.

I have no stats to back that up.

I'm just saying that media momentum and "draft buzz" really don't matter much at this stage since team scouts are probably familiar with whatever they consider to be the top-100 prospects in college basketball. Owners may be swayed by march performances, but scouts really aren't. Usually a run in March merely cements what scouts already know about prospects... Steph Curry, for instance, was a known commodity before his historic March runs. The only thing that the run did was convince more teams he was worth looking into despite his slight frame and low major resume.

It'll take awhile to figure out, but my hunch is that the advent of mobile video technology like Synergy and the rise of the analytics movement will probably result in better drafting outside of the lottery for most NBA teams. I don't have the data and it will take another decade of drafting to be sure, but that's my hunch.

ETA: I can't quote anybody now for some reason, but IAT brings up good points and I agree that that is a fundamental question that we don't really give much chat on here...

Hoard is currently leaning towards staying in the draft. Long process still, he has time to change his mind. As of today though, don't count on him being on next year's roster.

I’ve seen others make this argument on here. I don’t think it’s nearly so cut and dry. College coaches are paid way more than g league coaches, and I think this results in much better coaching staffs, across the board, in college compared to the g league. Colleges also have much better training facilities, healthcare, travel, etc.

Manning is no G eague coach. Hoard may come back. He may improve his draft stock. Nothing manning and his staff have done at wake provide definitive proof that the coaching he gets at wake is a step up from a G league staff working with him on the things the big club wants him to improve on.

Hoard is currently leaning towards staying in the draft. Long process still, he has time to change his mind. As of today though, don't count on him being on next year's roster.

Wow! He is so not ready. No handle. Avg 15 foot J, below average from 3. He is a nice athlete and hits the boards hard and can score in the paint. Lot of guys in teh NBA are already doing that and they are much bigger/better. He needs to stay and hone the handle and outside game. i know he can do that in the G league, but seriously??? No way he will make big money with that approach.

Manning is no G eague coach. Hoard may come back. He may improve his draft stock. Nothing manning and his staff have done at wake provide definitive proof that the coaching he gets at wake is a step up from a G league staff working with him on the things the big club wants him to improve on.

Can you name a G league coach? Do you know how much they make? This article states no G league coach even makes 6 figures https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ri...h-money-do-nba-d-league-head-coaches-get-paid

Tired

Tired of all the nba speculation....the sooner Hoard leaves town-the better. :cam:

Manning might set a record for most early entrees who don’t get drafted

The combine is not until May 15th, so he may be leaning towards staying, but he is going to have quite the dilemma. He could kill it in the camp and still not have any promise of getting drafted in the 2nd round.

Also, unless he really beefs out, he projects as an NBA 3 (I think), and he doesn't have that game. At all. BUT, he's not going to get that game At Wake next year either.

He wanted to be a one and done player as he thought of himself as a lottery pick. He won't be that. This draft looks weak to me though - which is sort of eye opening that he is so far down potential draft boards. I do not know what the 2020 draft projects to be. I would think taking into account his skill set, he's going to need to be a bouncy 3/4 in the NBA and bulk out a little bit. A Clint Capella type but at the 4 with the ability to sweep out and take the 3 (eventually).

What I have noticed is that he is very good on isolation drives, but he has two goto moves and you can tell the difference between the two a full second or two before they happen. In other words, he commits to one of the two moves and "shows" his intention. He needs to get to a place where he adds a few moves, but also, the two moves look exactly the same until they happen. His two moves are:
* Dribble right hand cross to left, dip right shoulder and essentially go under and through defender for a layup (exclusive to left side of court). Weirdly, he usually goes with his right hand for the layup, exposing himself to a block. His speed and quick hops usually allow him this move.
* Dribble right hand cross to left, spin and come back the other way on the pivot (left side of court, is able to do the same move from right side and switching hands).

Can you name a G league coach? Do you know how much they make? This article states no G league coach even makes 6 figures https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ri...h-money-do-nba-d-league-head-coaches-get-paid

Salary by itself does not equate to how good a coach is. Danny is not worth 2 mil. He's not worth that buy out.

I would take any G league coach in a 1 for 1 swap. Manning won't win there either and wake would have a better record with the new coach. Not considering recruiting just coaching the actual kids currently in program.

I would take any Y league coach. Cue the Village People.

Salary by itself does not equate to how good a coach is. Danny is not worth 2 mil. He's not worth that buy out.

I would take any G league coach in a 1 for 1 swap. Manning won't win there either and wake would have a better record with the new coach. Not considering recruiting just coaching the actual kids currently in program.

I would imagine being a G League coach is infinitely easier than being a college coach. All you do is coach basketball where as college coaches have a million other job requirements.

I would be more surprised with him coming back than him staying in the draft. I think he'll stay in and end up in France for a year or two, then maybe the G-league before having a shot at an NBA roster. It's debatable whether or not he would even benefit from another year in college.

Definitely a reasonable argument. I think the bigger factor is time -- college athletes have practice hours heavily restricted along with their schoolwork, while professionals can focus all their time on getting better.

Definitely a reasonable argument. I think the bigger factor is time -- college athletes have practice hours heavily restricted along with their schoolwork, while professionals can focus all their time on getting better.

Yeah that's just "official" practice hours though. They can spend as much time as they want playing pickup games, practicing by themselves, with their non-staff shooting coaches, etc. Obviously it's not the same, but it's also not like these G league dudes are out there playing/practicing for 10 hours a day.

Back