• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

You're right. It makes much more sense for the bball player to leave than computer or biology savant. You only have X number of years to play in the NBA. You can work on computers or biology for forty or fifty years.

ACC players have been going to the NBA for for over half a century. I'm guessing you went to many games at the Coliseum and Joel during that time. Hell, Lenny Chappell went to the NBA in the early 60s. Players started leaving early in the 70s or 80s. I bet you went to games then.

I did, but there wasn't this almost orgasmistic fawning about who is going where and when even before a season starts. I guess there is some betting involved with this as well which for some folks is much more exciting than a game.

I did, but there wasn't this almost orgasmistic fawning about who is going where and when even before a season starts. I guess there is some betting involved with this as well which for some folks is much more exciting than a game.

Because the internet didn't exist.

But your statement about liking basketball in an era when people went pro early versus now when people are honest about what they are doing is totally inconsistent.

Because the internet didn't exist.

But your statement about liking basketball in an era when people went pro early versus now when people are honest about what they are doing is totally inconsistent.

Not really, sure there a few one and done's but it became much worse during the early 21st century This phenomenon has occurred primarily since the NBA passed a rule in 2005 that required drafted players to be at least one year out of high school. Calipari is largely credited with leading the way to make elite players only wish to play one year of college basketball before jumping to the professional level. This has made him a controversial figure in the college basketball world. From: https://fee.org/articles/college-basketballs-one-and-done-should-be-none-and-done/. I never heard-internet or not-whether Skip Brown or Jim Johnstone were hoping to head for the NBA as freshmen. Not saying that past eras were the hey days of college B-ball but, this one and done scene is just another big business intrusion and probably linked to sports betting (which I despise). I tried to watch a number of ACC/Big Ten Challenge games and found them to be boring..such is the order of things.

“Bol has a unique skill set for his size,” says Wake Forest coach Danny Manning. “He’s capable of stepping out on the perimeter and making shots, and his length gives him a chance to do things at the rim that surprise you. He has really soft hands ... and he has more ballhandling capabilities than he’s showing here. On the EYBL circuit he was on the perimeter more, putting it down a little bit. That’s not something Nutie [Manute] used to do.”

someone say Bol?

Tp6gHZn.jpg

The Manute/Muggsy pic is up there with the Shaq/Danny Ferry pic for fun.

nbadraft.net doesn't have Hoard in the first or second round in their mock draft. At one point, he was #9 on their list.

He's not in NBC's first round.

Basketball Insiders have him at #22.

ESPN has him at #42.

Right now, he has to be thinking about coming back if we get a decent new coach.

I guess we can thank Manning for doing nothing to take advantage of Hoard and his skillset. At least the new coach and fans will have him for one more year.

I guess we can thank Manning for doing nothing to take advantage of Hoard and his skillset. At least the new coach and fans will have him for one more year.

I just hope that the Athletic Department knows that retaining Manning past March will lead to another mass exodus, leaving the cupboard entirely bare. Such a mistake would leave Wake Forest forever in the pit of despair. Dilly Dilly!

Its very evident he needs one more year... New coach and more improved team.... should we get a small bit excited?

Its very evident he needs one more year... New coach and more improved team.... should we get a small bit excited?

Definitely could use another year to improve physical strength, basketball skills and IQ.

Hoard would look like first rounder if he was playing with a better distributing point guard than Childress.

nbadraft.net doesn't have Hoard in the first or second round in their mock draft. At one point, he was #9 on their list.

He's not in NBC's first round.

Basketball Insiders have him at #22.

ESPN has him at #42.

Right now, he has to be thinking about coming back if we get a decent new coach.

Draft.net tends to place a kid in the draft they think he will be available in. Point being of course he would get drafted if he left, but it could fall into second round. They have him in first round following his sophomore season.

I would be shocked if he comes back or is drafted by the NBA in the first round. I do think he will play pro ball next year but in France, not the USA

Back