• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

I think Hoard might end up losing the most of any incoming WF player EVER as far as his MV from day one to when he leaves. Kid is clearly talented but completely lost with our one on one O and helter skelter system on both ends of the court and DM is unable to showcase the kid's talent since he has no clue how to coach O or D. Not sure what Hoard saw to draw him here, but he has to be one really bummed dude. Just a supreme waste of talent rotting on this team.

Ty Walker says hello.

I have watched less then 10 minutes total of wake hoops this year so I barely even know what Hoard looks like but just from looking at his stats, he is right in line with many other guys who left after one year. I think he pretty much has one foot out the door already
People hyped him up like he was a top-3 player in his recruiting class. He just wasn't. His production is pretty in line with what you should expect given where he was ranked (no doubt his 3P% is disappointing).

Thread title should be changed to Jaylen Hoard Watching Draft- Hoard can be a very good player in time- time with a competent coaching staff. Jaylen has a lot of work to do. The Wake closet needs to be changed- ALL of the old out to the second hand store replaced by all new, updated styles.

Not trying to defend Manning, but if you have talent, the NBA will find you. I can understand trying to pin everything including the government shutdown on our coach, but Johnny Jones and Lorenzo Romar coached the overall #1 picks in the 2016 and 2017 drafts, despite absolutely butchering the talent on hand.

You can and should blame Manning for another hideous year of basketball, but everyone from Sidney Lowe to Josh Pastner to Marc Gottfried to Jim Christian to Danny Manning has coached players that have become lottery picks. If you have the talent to play in the NBA, college coaching will not be an impediment.

That's why it was such a joke when people tried to laud Mannng as a developer of big men. Not relevant. Every NCAA BB's coach is judged solely on his ability to build a program. Manning has failed at that. Whether or not he can develop a power forward or center while the program has fallen apart is meaningless.

Last edited:
People hyped him up like he was a top-3 player in his recruiting class. He just wasn't. His production is pretty in line with what you should expect given where he was ranked (no doubt his 3P% is disappointing).

This. The hype came from a select group of our particularly sunshiny fans who grabbed onto our "Top 25 recruiting class" as some sort of evidence that Manning was going to turn it around this season, as well as from Hoard who declared his intentions to be one-and-done despite not having the resume or as-yet developed abilities to be making such proclamations.

I expect him back next year playing for a different coach. His sister is coming in as a frosh to play basketball herself. Just makes sense. It is arguably more likely he leaves is if we stand pat with Manning. He needs development. He needs to play with a consistent motor, and he needs to combine dribbling with his really good pivoting and foot work. A good coach would work with him on all those things. Honestly, he is getting better with motor. What I do like a lot, other than his pivot spin move, is he hasn't tried to force things as some teams have tried to take the ball out of his hands. He has become a better passer. He is also a great offensive rebounder already and his motor has been better the last few weeks despite his production dipping as teams figure out what he can't do (dribble, do anything other than post up on offense - also we run no plays to get him open).

He'll be fine (if he stays) with a good coach and it might make our job incrementally more enticing, though any coach coming in will know he may either leave or at best stay for one more year. If he stays, and if he gets a good coach, I could see him as a 15/10 guy with a lot of garbage points. Honestly though, I cannot think of an NBA player he reminds me of -- he is definitely going to need to develop better range as a pro ...

Again, I have barely seen him play but his stats are nearly identical to freshmen year Aminu. In today’s world, Aminu leaves after one year.

Maybe it's just the situation he's in here but I'm just not that impressed with Hoard. Granted, I haven't watched a ton of Deac bball this season.

Then what are you not impressed with? Watch some of the pain, then form your own opinion. Engage, don't skim.

Hoard needs development and coaching like every player on the team. The players are being denied the opportunity to fully develop their talents by the shortcomings of a coaching staff that seems to be riding out the storm. The game of basketball is no longer fun. The team is a seen as a source of disappointment and futility. The question of Hoard's future at Wake should be expanded to the entire team.

In the past year, eight players with eligibility have decided to forego attending Wake. By the end of the season many could decide to join them regardless of any coaching changes. When a game you love is no longer fun and your hopes of a lifetime are disappearing, you make changes to recover both. The players need the change of leadership as much or more than the fans who follow them.

I would hope that if a professor performed as poorly as our coaching staff, their employment would be terminated immediately. Apparently, the powers that be don't understand how badly the basketball program and the lack of response by the AD reflect on the University.

Simply put, it is embarrassing and shows an absolute lack of accountability.

Hoard finished RSCI #19. Here are the stats for the 10 most closely ranked players to Hoard.

14. Ashton Hagans - Kentucky - 7.3 PPG, 47.1% FG, 14.3% 3P, 2.2 RPG, 3.9 APG, 25.2 MPG

15. Darius Garland - Vanderbilt - 16.2 PPG, 53.7% FG, 47.8% 3P, 3.8 RPG, 2.6 APG, 27.8 MPG

16. Jalen Smith - Maryland - 11.8 PPG, 50.0% FG, 25.7% 3P, 6.8 RPG, 1.2 APG, 26.3 MPG

17. Darius Bazley - Skipped college

18. Naz Reid - LSU - 13.1 PPG, 51.9% FG, 37.2% 3P, 5.5 RPG, 1.1 APG, 22.8 MPG

19. Jaylen Hoard - Wake Forest - 13.8 PPG, 45.7% FG, 19.4% 3P, 7.9 RPG, 1.3 APG, 30.5 MPG

20. Jordan Brown - Nevada - 3.7 PPG, 52.6% FG, 0.0% 3P, 2.5 RPG, 0.5 APG, 10.2 MPG

20. Devon Dotson - Kansas - 10.9 PPG, 48.5% FG, 41.7% 3P, 3.4 RPG, 3.3 APG, 31.8 MPG

20. Louis King - Oregon - 10.4 PPG, 37.9% FG, 35.8% 3P, 5.3 RPG, 1.2 APG, 25.1 MPG

23. Immanuel Quickley - Kentucky - 6.8 PPG, 44.9% FG, 36.4% 3P, 1.7 RPG, 1.6 APG, 20.7 MPG

24. Moses Brown - UCLA - 11.3 PPG, 65.9% FG, 0.0% 3P, 8.9 RPG, 0.3 APG, 23.6 MPG

Newsflash, folks. Not everyone in the top 25 averages like 19 and 9.

Last edited:
The Athletic (Sam Vecenie) just came out with their their first 2019 Mock Draft, and Hoard is not listed in either round. He's also not included in the 'players I decided to leave out' blurb:

In regard to which players to include and which not to include, I used my judgment and used intel gathered from NBA executives and college coaches. In many cases, the players themselves have not decided what they want to do. At this stage, we just have imperfect information, which makes a lot of this speculative in nature. Guys I’ve chosen to leave out despite potential one-and-done speculation include Jalen Smith, Ignas Brazdeikis, Talen Horton-Tucker and Ayo Dosunmu, and underclassmen include Isaiah Roby and Chuma Okeke.

https://theathletic.com/780756/2019/01/29/vecenie-2019-mock-draft-1-0-its-zion-and-then-everyone-else/

For reference, and for those that are interested, below are the currently projected Top 5 (NWT):
1. Zion Williamson
2. RJ Barrett
3. Ja Morant
4. Cam Reddish
5. Jarrett Culver

19% from 3 is just horrible. Hopefully he can work on that over the summer and come back stronger. God this team could be so fun to watch with decent coaches.

Not ready for the NBA but another year here won't do him any good. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

He's going to be watching the NBA draft from his apartment in France as he gets ready to play pro ball there.

He's going to be watching the NBA draft from his apartment in France as he gets ready to play pro ball there.

That sounds pretty sweet when the alternative is breakfast at Biscuitville and then back to campus to practice with your sorry ass team.

That sounds pretty sweet when the alternative is breakfast at Biscuitville and then back to campus to practice with your sorry ass team.

I mean, breakfast at Biscuitville kicks ass. Don't lump that in with Wake Forest basketball.

Back