• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

I'm pretty surprised Fernando was projected as a one-and-done. I remember when Manning first offered him and no one knew who he was. I watched some videos and thought he had good raw, athletic potential but he was nowhere near a top-25 type player. I'm not sure when he became a projected one-and-done but that's a lot of hype.

That was at least his own thinking and some of his team mates. He and another player entered the NBA evaluation process. He thought he would be told he would be drafted and the other guy sent back to school. Reality flip-flopped those outcomes. Link to article in Washington Post.

http://Bruno Fernando was expected to leave Maryland basketball. He’ll start this season as its ‘fuel’ instead.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/05/bruno-fernando-was-expected-leave-maryland-basketball-hell-start-this-season-its-fuel-instead/

Then we can stop pretending these are student/athletes. One and dones should find themselves on semi-pro teams not on campus. I guess the old concept of (team) has gone by the wayside.

Please retire, Ron.

I thought this thread was a joke. Kind of disappointed after opening.

Then we can stop pretending these are student/athletes. One and dones should find themselves on semi-pro teams not on campus. I guess the old concept of (team) has gone by the wayside.
Please retire, Ron.
qcdeac, I'm confused. Are you criticizing the Wellman-sanctioned recruiting of one-and-dones at Wake? Or are you criticizing the fact that Wellman's basketball hires can't seem to recruit enough one-and-done players to be successful?

Jaylen can be a very good player, but he is not Ben Simmons. Ben was a unanimous top player in the class and it was a done deal he was challenging for the #1 pick. Please do not compare Jaylen to that. Tons of guys ranked in the teens by recruiting services are never heard of. Let's hope Danny can develop him into a player that WFU can be proud of./QUOTE]

I'd like to see Danny develop a team that WFU can be proud of.

Jaylen had a decent game. His talent is indisputable. He got two fouls early on. He's very smooth. I'd like to see his motor revved up a little. Most importantly, I'd like to see Danny let him play rather subbing in and out.

Last edited:
Jaylen had a decent game. His talent is indisputable. He got two fouls early on. He's very smooth. I'd like to see his motor revved up a little. Most importantly, I'd like to see Danny let him play rather subbing in and out.

I thought manning did a good job with Hoard and the rest of our substitutions. Let the kid come along like a normal recruit and the give him the leash come ACC play.

If I didn’t know anything about him I would’ve thought he looked like a smooth player that might come to something. Maybe I’m jaded after watching the Duke freshman the other other night but he isn’t a program changing talent (after one game).

How high does Hoard need to go in the NBA draft for this to be considered a successful season for Wake?

I’m not sure if this answers your question, but Markelle Fultz was drafted #1 overall despite Washington going 9-22 in his lone season in college.

If I didn’t know anything about him I would’ve thought he looked like a smooth player that might come to something. Maybe I’m jaded after watching the Duke freshman the other other night but he isn’t a program changing talent (after one game).

Dude had 19 pts & 13 rebounds... he to me is obviously the most talented player to wear the jersey in at lest a decade, if not since CP3.
With that being said, one player is never going to change a program if he only plays one season.

Dude had 19 pts & 13 rebounds... he to me is obviously the most talented player to wear the jersey in at lest a decade, if not since CP3.
With that being said, one player is never going to change a program if he only plays one season.

Exactly...

646940472.0.jpg

^^^^^

Hoard is obviously much better than the freshman Collins. I'd also be surprised if Hoard isn't much better than Collins in a couple years. Remember Collins was and is still a terrible defender.

^^^^^

Hoard is obviously much better than the freshman Collins. I'd also be surprised if Hoard isn't much better than Collins in a couple years. Remember Collins was and is still a terrible defender.

I wouldn’t be surprised. Collins growth is just getting started and will only get better.

Hoard is also like a year and a half older than Collins was as a freshman.

Hoard projected 23rd in SI's mock draft 1.0 published today.

Who Cares

Hoard projected 23rd in SI's mock draft 1.0 published today.

As I've written before the NBA and numerous business contacts are ruining college basketball. One and dones shouldn't ever be on a college campus.

Back