Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jaylen Hoard NBA Draft Watch

Quote Originally Posted by MichDeac25 View Post
    I'm pretty surprised Fernando was projected as a one-and-done. I remember when Manning first offered him and no one knew who he was. I watched some videos and thought he had good raw, athletic potential but he was nowhere near a top-25 type player. I'm not sure when he became a projected one-and-done but that's a lot of hype.
    That was at least his own thinking and some of his team mates. He and another player entered the NBA evaluation process. He thought he would be told he would be drafted and the other guy sent back to school. Reality flip-flopped those outcomes. Link to article in Washington Post.

http://Bruno Fernando was expected t...-fuel-instead/

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Deacon 65 View Post
    Then we can stop pretending these are student/athletes. One and dones should find themselves on semi-pro teams not on campus. I guess the old concept of (team) has gone by the wayside.
    Please retire, Ron.

I thought this thread was a joke. Kind of disappointed after opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Deacon 65 View Post
    Then we can stop pretending these are student/athletes. One and dones should find themselves on semi-pro teams not on campus. I guess the old concept of (team) has gone by the wayside.
    Quote Originally Posted by qcdeac View Post
    Please retire, Ron.
    qcdeac, I'm confused. Are you criticizing the Wellman-sanctioned recruiting of one-and-dones at Wake? Or are you criticizing the fact that Wellman's basketball hires can't seem to recruit enough one-and-done players to be successful?

[QUOTE=deacfan123;3193142]Jaylen can be a very good player, but he is not Ben Simmons. Ben was a unanimous top player in the class and it was a done deal he was challenging for the #1 pick. Please do not compare Jaylen to that. Tons of guys ranked in the teens by recruiting services are never heard of. Let's hope Danny can develop him into a player that WFU can be proud of./QUOTE]

I'd like to see Danny develop a team that WFU can be proud of.
    When in doubt, rub one out -BiffTannen

Anyone have a report on the game and how our freshmen did?

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Jaylen had a decent game. His talent is indisputable. He got two fouls early on. He's very smooth. I'd like to see his motor revved up a little. Most importantly, I'd like to see Danny let him play rather subbing in and out.
    Last edited by RJKarl; 11-10-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Jaylen had a decent game. His talent is indisputable. He got two fouls early on. He's very smooth. I'd like to see his motor revved up a little. Most importantly, I'd like to see Danny let him play rather subbing in and out.
    I thought manning did a good job with Hoard and the rest of our substitutions. Let the kid come along like a normal recruit and the give him the leash come ACC play.

How high does Hoard need to go in the NBA draft for this to be considered a successful season for Wake?

Rusty Larue
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    If I didnít know anything about him I wouldíve thought he looked like a smooth player that might come to something. Maybe Iím jaded after watching the Duke freshman the other other night but he isnít a program changing talent (after one game).

Quote Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
    How high does Hoard need to go in the NBA draft for this to be considered a successful season for Wake?
    Iím not sure if this answers your question, but Markelle Fultz was drafted #1 overall despite Washington going 9-22 in his lone season in college.

Quote Originally Posted by timdunkandthefunk View Post
    If I didnít know anything about him I wouldíve thought he looked like a smooth player that might come to something. Maybe Iím jaded after watching the Duke freshman the other other night but he isnít a program changing talent (after one game).
    Dude had 19 pts & 13 rebounds... he to me is obviously the most talented player to wear the jersey in at lest a decade, if not since CP3.
    With that being said, one player is never going to change a program if he only plays one season.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daaberry View Post
    Dude had 19 pts & 13 rebounds... he to me is obviously the most talented player to wear the jersey in at lest a decade, if not since CP3.
    With that being said, one player is never going to change a program if he only plays one season.
    Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by WFUWaldo View Post
    ...Markelle Fultz was drafted #1 overall despite Washington going 9-22 in his lone season in college.
    That must have been one of the most exciting seasons in UDub basketball history. Imagine being able to watch a top NBA draft pick perform in your team's uniform for an entire season! It would be like watching someone from your team perform in the NBA draft combine twice a week for an entire season!

Of course, the Huskies didn't do too well as a team-they lost 16 out of 18 PAC-12 conference games, including the last 12 in a row. They also lost to Yale (I didn't even know that Yale had a basketball team!) in Seattle. Oh well, you can't have everything. I'm sure that Huskies fans felt blessed just to be able to watch Fultz for one season.

^^^^^

Hoard is obviously much better than the freshman Collins. I'd also be surprised if Hoard isn't much better than Collins in a couple years. Remember Collins was and is still a terrible defender.

^^^^^

Hoard is obviously much better than the freshman Collins. I'd also be surprised if Hoard isn't much better than Collins in a couple years. Remember Collins was and is still a terrible defender.
    I wouldnít be surprised. Collins growth is just getting started and will only get better.

Hoard is also like a year and a half older than Collins was as a freshman.
    Runs with deer.