• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman Fan Club (No more Seinfield references, we've reached our limit)

Like a QB who started his first game winning a national honor I didn’t even know existed.

Can we now stop with some of the bullshit, racist post about "white, gym rat" quarterbacks?

Fact of the matter is both QBs played like it was their first season of college football. Some good - some bad. I find it weird that they ran Hartman more than they have Newman, but maybe that has to do with depth chart - not sure of Hinton's health. It will be interesting to see what happens next year with the QB position. My sense is that Hartman has the higher upside, but I worry about his durability. It would be really nice if Hartman and Newman both go into next season totally healthy.

There is no “we”. Just one loser on this board who makes asinine comments that his handle would eviscerate and his friends would reminisce about the board beatdown. “Remember the time Bill Braskey made Wannabee Bill Braskey shart his briefs? To Bill Braskey!”

Newman and Hartman are good (hope they progress into great) Wake QBs.
Wannabe Braskey is a midget.

Last edited:
Fact of the matter is both QBs played like it was their first season of college football. Some good - some bad. I find it weird that they ran Hartman more than they have Newman, but maybe that has to do with depth chart - not sure of Hinton's health. It will be interesting to see what happens next year with the QB position. My sense is that Hartman has the higher upside, but I worry about his durability. It would be really nice if Hartman and Newman both go into next season totally healthy.

I hope both go into next season. I’m still worried Newman could transfer.

I hope both go into next season. I’m still worried Newman could transfer.

Well, that would be a huge cop out. Not sure to where he would transfer. Fact of the matter is he will end the season as the starting QB - it's up to him how that narrative plays out. Best case scenario is Newman and Hartman battle it out for first string QB with Hinton as a WR with the ability to come back as QB if a calamity happens. I guess the worse case scenario is we only have one of those guys and then they get hurt.

Jamie Newman's QB rating last night was 172.3.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jamie-newman-1/gamelog/2018/

That's 0.1 higher than Hartman's 172.2 vs. Louisville...
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sam-hartman-1/gamelog/2018/

...and 0.2 higher than Wolford's 172.1 vs. Syracuse last season.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/john-wolford-1/gamelog/2017/

Here are the top QB ratings in ACC games under Clawson:

244.8 - 2017 Wolford vs. Louisville (28/34, 461 yards, 5 TD)
200.3 - 2018 Newman at Duke (18/23, 177 yards, 4 TD, 50 yards rushing)
192.7 - 2016 Wolford vs. Virginia (9/10, 83 yards, 1 TD, 94 yards rushing, 1 rush TD)
172.3 - 2018 Newman at State (22/33, 297 yards, 3 TD)
172.2 - 2018 Hartman at Louisville (16/24, 223 yards, 2 TD)
172.1 - 2017 Wolford at Syracuse (25/38, 363 yards, 3 TD, 136 yards rushing, 3 rush TD)

Sports reference hasn't updated, but according to BSD, Newman's QBR vs. Duke was 200.3. That's the 2nd best ACC performance in ACC play under Clawson.

Last edited:
Sports reference hasn't updated, but according to BSD, Newman's QBR vs. Duke was 200.3. That's the 2nd best ACC performance in ACC play under Clawson.

And Newman wasnt even really asked to do too much given the game flow and dominance of the run. But outside a few throws, his passes were excellent and some even the type of throws that NFL QBs make (such as the Bachman and Surratt TDs).

I didn’t get to see the whole game but the two throws he missed in the 1st quarter were to Dortch and Bachman in the sideline. They were well covered and he put the ball in bounds were only they could get to it. They weren’t bad misses and they were two of his only five incompletions on the day.

Agreeed

I love how he stays in the pocket and makes it happen. Conner has great article on his pocket ability.

I didn’t get to see the whole game but the two throws he missed in the 1st quarter were to Dortch and Bachman in the sideline. They were well covered and he put the ball in bounds were only they could get to it. They weren’t bad misses and they were two of his only five incompletions on the day.

He missed a wide open Chapman up the seem early when the game was still close which would have been a 20 yd+ gain. That’s the only “bad” miss I remember.

Newman has started 3 games and 2 of them were excellent performances and huge wins. Really excellent.
Read the previous page or two on this thread with folks knocking him following his one bad game. Sometimes I think our own fans are worse than our competitors.
In the past 3 weeks, Jamie has demonstrated that he has a strong, accurate arm and good decision making skills. And of course, he has the physical size/strength that we've never had in a QB. A lot of good here.
At the same time, I like Hartman and Hinton, but Newman's ceiling may be higher. I'm just glad they're all Deacs. Probably our best depth ever at QB.

Clawson is all about competition for every spot in the lineup. Deacs have legit competition for QB next year, with two promising options. Also, regardless of who takes the first snap in the opener next year, WF's offensive system requires at least two QBs to be ready and able to play. WF has the comfort of knowing that it can check that box.

The thing that Jamie gives us that our other QB’s don’t was evident on the TD’s to Dortch and Washington. He has the size to stand in there that split second longer against the blitz and deliver the ball. Hartman and Hinton get eat up in those situations.

I know there is a low chance of this happening, but it would be really great for Newman to get the job and play (like this) enough next season to allow Hartman a red shirt year. I thought freshman Hartman was more advanced than freshman Wolford, and would love to give him another year to develop in this offense and get stronger, and then have potentially 3 years with him at the helm.

Back