• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman Fan Club (No more Seinfield references, we've reached our limit)

NFW. You need to understand that Cade, Sam, the LB Chase Monroe and Groulx all grew up together and played on the same high school team. Sam isn't going anywhere.

This could be huge for us. I mean, best stretch of Wake football ever huge for us.

NFW. You need to understand that Cade, Sam, the LB Chase Monroe and Groulx all grew up together and played on the same high school team. Sam isn't going anywhere.

Thank you. There's no doubt in my mind Sam is going to work his ass off and eventually start at Wake whether it be next Fall or 2021.

Right. Wake fans have gotten too used to this. There's nothing wrong with a guy coming in, getting his academics together, hitting the weights, learning the position, and then stepping on the field after a few seasons. Newman is an example of what happens. He redshirted and was on the sidelines behind a starter. He got stronger. He got healthy. And when it was time for him to play, he played well.

By golly, PhDeac crystallizes the whole point perfectly. It's not complicated. And if we've got a guy in the second position who cannot live with that then so be it. He's got options, not great ones, but options. Besides, Newman could get hurt again, unfortunately. Then in comes Hartman. The greatest thing to ever happen in Hartman's football career (and riskiest) was when as a Freshman Hartman played against ND, Clemson and FSU. What dreams realized?!! He's a smart guy. I suspect Hartman will stand behind Newman if asked.

What the fans think is immaterial to what the players think, when Hartman or Newman loses out as starter, (barring injury to one of them) I would be willing to bet one of them leaves. I hope they wouldn't but QB's by nature are very competitive and want to play if they are any good.

This point is perfectly applicable to Newman whose clock is ticking much more loudly than Hartman's. Newman has much more pressure to depart if he takes a back seat to Hartman simply to wait for Hartman to become injured again. But even then I'm not convinced Newman leaves, but much more likely in his case.

Got to say how weird it is to read all of this and think about our future, given that I was so looking forward to the Kendall Hinton era. Then everything changed. It’s worked out for us, and I hope it works out for Hinton, but it is not the Wake football I thought I was going to be watching this year and next.

Thank you. There's no doubt in my mind Sam is going to work his ass off and eventually start at Wake whether it be next Fall or 2021.

He doesn't strike me as a quitter or a guy who is afraid of competition.

I don’t see either of our QB’s to be the transfer type. Our offense needs at least 2 QB’s anyway.

Got to say how weird it is to read all of this and think about our future, given that I was so looking forward to the Kendall Hinton era. Then everything changed. It’s worked out for us, and I hope it works out for Hinton, but it is not the Wake football I thought I was going to be watching this year and next.

Agreed. I am excited about Newman/Hartman though.

Hartman vs Tulane was a truly remarkable 1st game. Yet Newman vs NCState was perhaps the gutsiest 1st start ever for WF. Can't recall Skinner's 1st start.

Hartman vs Tulane was a truly remarkable 1st game. Yet Newman vs NCState was perhaps the gutsiest 1st start ever for WF. Can't recall Skinner's 1st start.

It was the Duke game that ended with the Chip Vaughn blocked FG. Skinner played well.

It was the Duke game that ended with the Chip Vaughn blocked FG. Skinner played well.

That was a home game, right? Newman was playing on the road and State was ranked. I don't believe that Duke was. But it both were must wins.

That was a home game, right? Newman was playing on the road and State was ranked. I don't believe that Duke was. But it both were must wins.

Yeah. Home vs a bad Duke team.

Skinner only had two games in his first three years with a passer rating higher than Newman vs State. He threw 8 and 11 passes in those games.

Skinner’s only road game with a passer rating that high was his last game ever at Duke.

Skinner only had two games in his first three years with a passer rating higher than Newman vs State. He threw 8 and 11 passes in those games.

Skinner’s only road game with a passer rating that high was his last game ever at Duke.

That's surprising, but underscores how remarkable Newman's game was.

It’s not that surprising. Skinner was in a Lobotomized offense.

happy Bday for 5 more minutes Jamie! Thanks for getting us to a bowl game!

I remember thinking that we should have been down 28 points at the half during that Duke game. So I guess you could say they were a bad team but they completely outplayed us.

Back