• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pace of Play

deacdixieboy

Reaction score
It’s being mentioned in threads but deserves one of its own. While we all, myself included, have been railing on the defense this year, this game showed that slowing it down on offense directly correlates with defensive performance, especially given our lack of depth and injuries.

It’s being mentioned in threads but deserves one of its own. While we all, myself included, have been railing on the defense this year, this game showed that slowing it down on offense directly correlates with defensive performance, especially given our lack of depth and injuries.

I think you are correct. I wonder how we compared in time of possession? At any rate, we dominated more of the clock which helped the D. stay fresher. Formula moving forward.

That’s the pace we need to play with the thin numbers on defense.

I think you are correct. I wonder how we compared in time of possession? At any rate, we dominated more of the clock which helped the D. stay fresher. Formula moving forward.

I haven’t looked it up, but judging by the numbers they put on TV occasionally it was close to even.

We ran 71 plays, our second fewest of the season behind Rice. We had 435 yards, 5th most after the first three games and Louisville. We averaged 6.1 yards per play, the third best of the season after Towson and Louisville.

Slowing down the pace didn’t hurt our offense and it helped our defense.

From the CBS Sports app write up:

STRATEGY SHIFT
The Demon Deacons are usually one of the fastest-playing teams in the country, averaging more than 85 plays per game. But the quarterback change and the lack of depth on defense forced Clawson to slow things down. They ran only 71 plays in this one. ''If we do what we normally do ... there's no way we hold them to 23 points,'' Clawson said.

Undoubtedly, coach’s decision finally to modify his firm commitment to fast tempo was/is essential to success.

I've calling for it for a while. Yes, it helped the defense, but it really helped Newman. This was the most enjoyable game to watch (save the Petrino games) in a long while. Maybe unc in '12.

I've calling for it for a while. Yes, it helped the defense, but it really helped Newman. This was the most enjoyable game to watch (save the Petrino games) in a long while. Maybe unc in '12.

Yes, exactly. Believe the tempo and the cumulative impact of taking so many hits and almost immediately reading the defense and running another play wore Hartman down. Thanks for changing Dave. Go Deacs.

It’s almost as if you can play at multiple speeds in the same game! Thought we did a good job of playing faster once we got closer to midfield and had a little offensive rhythm.

It’s almost as if you can play at multiple speeds in the same game! Thought we did a good job of playing faster once we got closer to midfield and had a little offensive rhythm.

This is also true. Sometimes it's good to go tempo and try to catch the defense off guard.

Exactly, use an uptempo pace as a weapon when you have the other side struggling. When you're struggling slow it down.

Back