• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pittsburgh @ Groves Stadium NOON Sat. Nov. 17

Without the updated rankings, Wake has a 50 percent chance to beat Pitt and a 25 percent chance to beat Duke (these odds will increase after last nights win). So even without the update odds have us at 62.5 percent to win at least one game and go bowling.

Goes without saying that I’d love to lock up bowl eligibility next week and keep building momentum. However, being on the road in Durham the Saturday after Thanksgiving doesn’t scare me that much. The place will be a wasteland.

Who had us being 5-5 this point in the season with more road wins that home wins? It's so refreshing to go on the road and actually feel like we have a punchers chance these days, unlike the last few seasons under Grobe where going on the road was about as futile as redacted.

Goes without saying that I’d love to lock up bowl eligibility next week and keep building momentum. However, being on the road in Durham the Saturday after Thanksgiving doesn’t scare me that much. The place will be a wasteland.

Pitt is much better than these pundits realize. WF will be most fortunate to win although we can be competitive if we play as we did in Raleigh and hopefully get some breaks.

I certainly cannot say Wake is due a win over Pitt. Maybe Wake fans should take the same approach they took before the State game. Assume a huge loss and be rewarded by a possibly better result.

We are a sandwich game for Pitt. They play at VT, then go down to Miami after us. All three teams are trying to get bowl eligible and position themselves for a better bowl game. We also have 2 extra days to rest and prep. Any injury reports for them?

Pitt is a weird team. They lost at home to UNC (UNC's only win this year), and got absolutely destroyed by a good, but not great, Penn State team. OTOH, Pitt held ND to 19.

Two weeks ago, in a game where the teams combined for 99 points, Pitt beat Duke 54-45. The next week, Pitt barely gains 300 yards in a 23-13 win over UVA.

If Pitt beats VT tomorrow (Pitt is a slight fave), the WF game is for the division title.

Last edited:
Pitt is much better than these pundits realize. WF will be most fortunate to win although we can be competitive if we play as we did in Raleigh and hopefully get some breaks.

I certainly cannot say Wake is due a win over Pitt. Maybe Wake fans should take the same approach they took before the State game. Assume a huge loss and be rewarded by a possibly better result.

Huh? Pitt will be favored by 5 or less. State was favored by 19. Not in any way similar.

If you throw UNC to the bottom and take the other 6 teams in the Coastal, the Sagarin rankings are:

1. Miami
2. Duke
3. GT
4. UVA
5. VT
6. Pitt

with a few games left in the season, there is a chance the final standings can be:

1. Pitt
2. VT
3. UVA
4. GT
5. Duke
6. Miami

crazy division

If you throw UNC to the bottom and take the other 6 teams in the Coastal, the Sagarin rankings are:

1. Miami
2. Duke
3. GT
4. UVA
5. VT
6. Pitt

with a few games left in the season, there is a chance the final standings can be:

1. Pitt
2. VT
3. UVA
4. GT
5. Duke
6. Miami

crazy division

That is why they actually play games.

Pitt is not better than pundits realize IMO - if anything they're worse. They're 5-4 overall, 1-3 on the road (beat UVA last Friday), ranked 71st in S&P, 57th in Sagarin and 45th in Massey.

For comparison, before last night's game Wake was 87th in S&P, 82nd in Sagarin, and 83rd in Massey. I expect they will improve by 10+ spots in each of these. Duke is 45th, 37th, and 36th.

So Pitt is slightly better than Wake and slightly worse than Duke on balance across the season.

Barring Pitt blowing VPI out tomorrow, the line will open somewhere between Wake -1 or -2 and Pitt +2 or +3.

I hope VT absolutely blows it tomorrow vs Pitt. I'm hoping for bad snaps and unforced fumbles and that kind of thing. I want Pitt to be bowl eligible already when they show up in Winston. I don't want them to play well vs VT, just want them to have an inflated sense of relief and accomplishment.

They're going to have something to play for regardless.

If they lose they're still seeking bowl eligibility and a shot at the division. If they win they win the Coastal if they beat us.

I hope VT absolutely blows it tomorrow vs Pitt. I'm hoping for bad snaps and unforced fumbles and that kind of thing. I want Pitt to be bowl eligible already when they show up in Winston. I don't want them to play well vs VT, just want them to have an inflated sense of relief and accomplishment.

lol what? With a win vs VT the coastal goes through Winston-Salem. They can wrap up the coastal with a win vs VT and then at Wake. They have their sights set higher I would think than just trying to make a bowl this late in the season. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish 5-7. Just because...the coastal yall.

Last edited:
yeah, Pitt will definitely have something to play for either way

I'm more concerned with the Deacs' state of mind; hope we're not fat and happy after last night

Seems to be pretty much consensus on pitt. They can either be hot or cold. We have to hope we get them on a cold day. I saw them lose to Carolina in person and couldn’t believe they didn’t pull that one out.

The only reason they are contending for the coastal is because everyone in the coastal keeps tripping on themselves.

Last edited:
yeah, Pitt will definitely have something to play for either way

I'm more concerned with the Deacs' state of mind; hope we're not fat and happy after last night

We're sitting here talking about what Pitt has to play for. The Deacs are playing for a bowl game.

I didn't think Pitt fans even go to Pitt games

WVU fans refer to Pitt as "The Tarpies" because of how they put tarps out to disguise the number of empty seats at their home games. Sort of like what some fans want Wellman to do at The Joel.

Back