• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pittsburgh @ Groves Stadium NOON Sat. Nov. 17

I know injuries happen and are part of the game, but the staggering number of guys hurt this year has me wondering if something is amiss in the S&C program.

I just think we’ve had buzzard luck this year. I think our S&C program is about as good as anybody else’s.

Hartman will be better next year. Look at how much the BC QB has done since we beat them up at Chestnut Hill last year. What worries me is the linemen we'll be losing on both sides of the ball.

WF should be a magnate for top shelf linemen recruits because you’re guaranteed lots of PT.
On the optimistic side, we may be little better later in the season next year
New blood could bring better results after a period of learning.

I kinda know the answer(s) to this question, but would like for others to weight in: We talked about how yesterday the defense was "gassed" b/c they couldn't get off the field; common observation for football teams at all levels. So okay our guys on defense were shot, but why weren't Pitt's offensive guys equally tired from our inability to get them off the field so they could get a breather? How much of being "tired" in this situation is mental vs. physical fatigue?

Was Clawson asked in post-game interview about kicking the FG twice on4th and 1?

I still like the defensive improvement I have seen in just a handful of weeks.

Was Clawson asked in post-game interview about kicking the FG twice on4th and 1?

I wish coaches would play the odds correctly. Seems like all but a few of them err badly on the side of being conservative.

When you have a poor defense or are an underdog, you have to be more aggressive offensively. Even without taking that into account, the percentage play is to go for it.

I wish coaches would play the odds correctly. Seems like all but a few of them err badly on the side of being conservative.

When you have a poor defense or are an underdog, you have to be more aggressive offensively. Even without taking that into account, the percentage play is to go for it.

Dan Collins talked about in his blog. The theory of why Clawson didn't go for it is depressing, but probably accurate. Clawson knew we couldn't stop them regardless of whether the lead was 3 or 7. He wanted to ensure that we were only one score down rather than 10, since our only hope was to get a turnover when Pitt had the ball.

Dan Collins talked about in his blog. The theory of why Clawson didn't go for it is depressing, but probably accurate. Clawson knew we couldn't stop them regardless of whether the lead was 3 or 7. He wanted to ensure that we were only one score down rather than 10, since our only hope was to get a turnover when Pitt had the ball.

That is some crazy defeatist logic. I hope that was not what Clawson was actually thinking.

It’s not defeatist to want to go down one score.

I think it could be pretty close. To make sure it stayed at least a one score game. That with the realization that our type of offense, or plays we have with the people we have, can't guarantee a 1 to 2 yard gain in such a situation.

I kinda know the answer(s) to this question, but would like for others to weight in: We talked about how yesterday the defense was "gassed" b/c they couldn't get off the field; common observation for football teams at all levels. So okay our guys on defense were shot, but why weren't Pitt's offensive guys equally tired from our inability to get them off the field so they could get a breather? How much of being "tired" in this situation is mental vs. physical fatigue?

Playing defense takes more energy than playing offense. Defenders don't know where the play is going, typically have to run a lot more, etc. Thats why defenses sub more than offenses.
There was a good comment from Ryan Anderson in a recent interview. He said that when they play fast, th y get tired, but he knows the defense is more tired than he is.

This probably will not be well received because its an optimistic post on a pessimistic thread regarding a questionable unit. But with the OL attrition at the end of the year, I still believe the OL can be a "strength" next season.

If Herron holds true on his statement that he will return (the blindside will be protected), it will then move Benzinger back to his more natural position at RT.
Gilliam will move inside to G, Tom has played some solid snaps at C and Nash has played plenty as a back up. That is solid right there. Rappelya and Loic has received some PT this season.

This probably will not be well received because its an optimistic post on a pessimistic thread regarding a questionable unit. But with the OL attrition at the end of the year, I still believe the OL can be a "strength" next season.

If Herron holds true on his statement that he will return (the blindside will be protected), it will then move Benzinger back to his more natural position at RT.
Gilliam will move inside to G, Tom has played some solid snaps at C and Nash has played plenty as a back up. That is solid right there. Rappelya and Loic has received some PT this season.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't think that of OL will be a weakness.
Another year of S&C will also help along with a fair amount of experience, as you mentioned.

Also, don’t forget we’ll have big Mike to throw in the rotation. Heard he’s been impressive in practice and in the weight room

Playing defense takes more energy than playing offense. Defenders don't know where the play is going, typically have to run a lot more, etc. Thats why defenses sub more than offenses.
There was a good comment from Ryan Anderson in a recent interview. He said that when they play fast, th y get tired, but he knows the defense is more tired than he is.

I'll add some particular examples: it takes more energy to tackle than be tackled - particularly if you do it right and wrap up. When a DL disengages from an OL, he still has to pursue the ball. The DL more often has to put a hand (or two) in the dirt where OL gets to put elbows on knees.

You have received some pretty good answers but there is also a psychological situation going on, if you are driving the ball you are winning at the point of attack and that is stimulative to the offensive player. If you cannot get the other team off the field you are losing in your job which over time adds an emotional toll to the defensive player which over time deflates their will. Hope these answers help.

I just saw where somebody had their picture made with Dan Marino at the Pitt game last Saturday. I think he walked right by me and I didn't know it was him. I passed this guy coming into section 2 with a field badge on and I thought I wonder why a coach is coming in this way. After seeing he was at the game, I think that was Dan Marino, lol.

I just saw where somebody had their picture made with Dan Marino at the Pitt game last Saturday. I think he walked right by me and I didn't know it was him. I passed this guy coming into section 2 with a field badge on and I thought I wonder why a coach is coming in this way. After seeing he was at the game, I think that was Dan Marino, lol.
Where’s the pic?

Back