• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pittsburgh @ Groves Stadium NOON Sat. Nov. 17

Does anybody have a list of those frosh who have burned their red shirts?

Is Bowers healthy enough to play? If so, he is probably the only one who hasn't played at all.

Bowers took a couple knees early in the year, don't know if you consider that playing or not. Not even dressing in this game will be tough, considering he is from PA.

Wake has the ability to pull this upset. Would be a big celebration on the home field to secure a 3rd bowl in 3 years. I expect we will need some luck, like winning the turnover battle and having Greg return one for 6 but I feel like the team is on an upward trajectory and will pull this off. Need the run D to step up again and play 2 good games in a row.

From Winston-Salem Journal, 11.9.2018:
“We had a lot of injuries, as well as myself, so just fighting to the end of this game. We were down, but we kept pushing, on defense and on offense,” Quarterback Jamie Newman said of what he was most proud of about the Deacons’ performance against No. 14 N. C. State Thursday night in a nationally televised game. “You know, we played every second, every snap, every play hard, offense and defense, and that just shows what we’re made of.

WF needs to do this again to have a chance.

Bowers took a couple knees early in the year, don't know if you consider that playing or not. Not even dressing in this game will be tough, considering he is from PA.

AIR, he dressed last Thursday, part of the sideline play calling crew. Why wouldn't he dress vs. Pitt....injured ?

No position in football has more transfers than QB. If you have a solid freshman and sophomore (which WF does), barring a catastrophe, there is no PT available for a minimum of two more years, and chances are that the team will recruit another stud in the interim. Hard enough to keep two QBs on the roster happy (see Clemson and Bama). Impossible to keep more than two happy.

Can't recall, don't we have a good QB recruit coming in ?

Found this interesting:

WF is 3rd in the country in plays per game at 83.9. Pitt is 128th (3rd from last) with 61.3 plays pr game. Since slowing the tempo worked against State last week, would think that WF will slow tempo again this week and try to limit possessions that WF has to defend.

To give an idea of how awful the VT defense now currently is: Pitt scored 52 points last week against VT despite running only 47 offensive plays in the game. 47! (36 runs and 11 passes; 654 yards; 14 yards per play; a 12 yard gain was a below average play). The other 6 NCAA teams that scored 50 or more last week ran 81, 81, 69, 89, 68, 90 plays.

if the odds of getting injured on a given play are constant, a team running more plays will logically have a greater chance of sustaining injuries

If injuries happen at a greater rate as players get fatigued, then running more plays will logically create an even greater likelihood of injury

through 9 weeks WF was #1 in the nation in offensive plays per game - now down to #2 after slowing tempo vs. NC State

Found this interesting:

WF is 3rd in the country in plays per game at 83.9. Pitt is 128th (3rd from last) with 61.3 plays pr game. Since slowing the tempo worked against State last week, would think that WF will slow tempo again this week and try to limit possessions that WF has to defend.

To give an idea of how awful the VT defense now currently is: Pitt scored 52 points last week against VT despite running only 47 offensive plays in the game. 47! (36 runs and 11 passes; 654 yards; 14 yards per play; a 12 yard gain was a below average play). The other 6 NCAA teams that scored 50 or more last week ran 81, 81, 69, 89, 68, 90 plays.

from the site I quoted, we're second in the nation at 87.7 per game

from the site I quoted, we're second in the nation at 87.7 per game

There are 131 FBS teams. WF runs more plays per game than either 129 or 130 of them. Either way, WF runs a lot of damn plays on offense.

Wake has the ability to pull this upset. Would be a big celebration on the home field to secure a 3rd bowl in 3 years. I expect we will need some luck, like winning the turnover battle and having Greg return one for 6 but I feel like the team is on an upward trajectory and will pull this off. Need the run D to step up again and play 2 good games in a row.

Other than a desperation hail mary, we lost the TO battle and Greg probably had the worst return game of his career last week. We beat a more highly ranked team on the road, at a 19 point dog vs. 6. Sure State had some drops (so did we), but it's not like this team needs some fluke to beat Pitt at home.

AIR, he dressed last Thursday, part of the sideline play calling crew. Why wouldn't he dress vs. Pitt....injured ?

He has been behind the walkon Considine the last 2 games on the depth chart.

He has been behind the walkon Considine the last 2 games on the depth chart.

I know but I guess he must have been injured ? And haven't we been fudging the depth chart a bit due to injuries ( hiding them ) ?

Found this interesting:

I am guessing our coaching staff believes that pace is what makes our offense successful - defense is more tired, not changing plays as often, down-distance subs, etc. We cannot assume the same amount of success on fewer plays. We may be successful because we are fatiguing the defense, not allowing situational subs. So a slower pace may mean more three and outs for us, which does not help the defense.

It's too bad we couldn't have played Pitt earlier and Florida State later. One program on the upswing the other sliding down.

Back