• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pittsburgh @ Groves Stadium NOON Sat. Nov. 17

DeacAssured

Reaction score
From Winston-Salem Journal, 11.9.2018:
“We had a lot of injuries, as well as myself, so just fighting to the end of this game. We were down, but we kept pushing, on defense and on offense,” Quarterback Jamie Newman said of what he was most proud of about the Deacons’ performance against No. 14 N. C. State Thursday night in a nationally televised game. “You know, we played every second, every snap, every play hard, offense and defense, and that just shows what we’re made of.

Will need to repeat same against Coastal Division leader Pitt Panthers.

Line will be interesting on this one. Before last night, Pitt would have been about a 3.5 point favorite per Sagarin. If they perform roughly to par tomorrow, will likely be close to a toss up.

The good news for Wake is we have a home game against a team who (leading the Coastal or not) is not a top 50 team per advanced metrics.

This will be the first ever meeting between the Pittsburgh Panthers and the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, despite Pitt joining the ACC in 2013.

Standing behind these advanced metrics stat FRAUDS like how Numbers and others kept defending the gibberish that there is no such thing as the hot hand in basketball. Sad.

One thing that gives me some hope for being about to beat Pitt is our defense was so good against State's running game last night. Pitt is going to try to run it down our throats and if we can do a good job of containing it, we've got a great chance to beat them.

I'm suddenly very interested in this game. I'll be getting married about 20 mins away out near Bermuda Run, but will certainly have this on in the Groom's Room. Ceremony isn't until 4, so hopefully I can catch most of the game.

Jamie Newman and a reasonable offensive game plan has brought me back from the abyss!

Last edited:
I'm suddenly very interested in this game. I'll be getting married about 20 mins away out near Bermuda Run, but will certainly have this on in the Groom's Room. Ceremony isn't until 4, so hopefully I can catch most of the game.

Jamie Newman and a reasonable offensive game plan has brought me back from the abyss!

Should be able to catch the whole thing unless it goes into overtime. Grooms really don't have much to do the day of it seems.

Will we get any of the injured guys back for next weeks game?

Hopefully Hinton can suit up, just in case Newman gets dinged. I assume Bowers was the back up to Newman last night, with Hinton in street clothes.

I was on the fence about going to this game, now I'm looking for tickets.

Anybody know how well Pitt travels? Similar to Syracuse?

I don't think Syracuse travels well, I think there are a ton of new yorkers living in Raleigh/Charlotte who go to occasional Syracuse games. Highly doubt there will be nearly as many Pitt fans.

The big question is: will Wake fans travel well enough to fill BB&T field? Will mediocre fans be curious to see the man/child at QB and the rejuvenated defense enough to travel from Clemons and Lewisville and Kernersville and Pfafftown and Rural Hall and fill the stadium? It has been too long since Grove Stadium was truly rocking.

I don't think Pitt travels particularly well.

Probably stating the obvious, but if we are going to make a bowl game this year, I feel a lot better about beating Pitt in Winston than I do about going to Durham to face Duke in a "must win."

Pitt is 1-3 on the road.

Has no impact on Wake (since we're playing at Duke), but the Blue Devils are only 2-2 at home, yet 4-1 on the road.

I feel pretty good about beating Duke in Durham after they’ve clinched a bowl bid.

Back