• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pittsburgh @ Groves Stadium NOON Sat. Nov. 17

Was Clawson asked in post-game interview about kicking the FG twice on4th and 1?
In his press conference today , Clawaon said the second 4th and 1 was really 4th and two and a half--and that if 4th and 1 he would have gone for it. I don't have access to the tape but is that right? I remember it as closer to one yard.

He expressed that 1st 4th down kick was one he could re-think in hindsight. (not those words)

The two fourth down field goal attempts were very frustrating. Those decisions felt very un-Clawson like.

-Statistically, teams should be going for it so much more often on fourth and short. It's a proposition that will net you more points and wins over time.
-If you need to score a touchdown, anyway, why wouldn't you try when you're already right there near the goal-line? So many coaches will take a chipshot FG attempt and pray they'll 1) get other opportunities to possess and 2) succeed in marching all the way down the field, again, culminating with a touchdown.
-Psychologically, a coach can challenge his team to win by going for it in those situations. This is where going for it on the first drive could've set a different mood for the game.

The two fourth down field goal attempts were very frustrating. Those decisions felt very un-Clawson like.

-Statistically, teams should be going for it so much more often on fourth and short. It's a proposition that will net you more points and wins over time.
-If you need to score a touchdown, anyway, why wouldn't you try when you're already right there near the goal-line? So many coaches will take a chipshot FG attempt and pray they'll 1) get other opportunities to possess and 2) succeed in marching all the way down the field, again, culminating with a touchdown.
-Psychologically, a coach can challenge his team to win by going for it in those situations. This is where going for it on the first drive could've set a different mood for the game.

Maybe we need a new and different goal line / short yardage offense. On that doesn't make handoffs 3 yards deep.

And I'll give credit where credit is due, Duke is a nice campus. My wife says its what she would imagine Hogwarts would look like.

More like what Universal Studios' version of Hogwarts would look like. It's utterly fucking artificial.

Staircases sanded down, Harkness tower reproduced brick by brick. It's vomit-inducing pretension in the genuine sense of the word. Fuck 'em.

Maybe we need a new and different goal line / short yardage offense. On that doesn't make handoffs 3 yards deep.

With a supposed.top of the league center and a big power running QB, the QB sneak would be much more effective than if it was run with a 170 lb. QB who doesn't have much power.

Back