• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report Is Back! NC A&T - Saturday 2 pm ACC Network

I realized while watching the game today that this is the first time in the last 17 years that I have no hope for Wake Forest basketball. This season, at its best, has the potential to be better than expected and maybe land us in the NIT. Knowing that Hoard will only be here one year and that we have essentially no one coming in next year is demoralizing. I’d like to be hopeful for the coming years because there is some young talent on the team, but the fact that we have whiffed on next years class is such a bummer.

I never thought I’d feel this way about Wake hoops.

We may not really have any spots....

I realized while watching the game today that this is the first time in the last 17 years that I have no hope for Wake Forest basketball. This season, at its best, has the potential to be better than expected and maybe land us in the NIT. Knowing that Hoard will only be here one year and that we have essentially no one coming in next year is demoralizing. I’d like to be hopeful for the coming years because there is some young talent on the team, but the fact that we have whiffed on next years class is such a bummer.

I never thought I’d feel this way about Wake hoops.

It sure took you long enough. Most others lost hope when Deman led us to believe Dino was being replaced by a Donovan, Alford or Izzo for Goodman to report [Redacted] was likely coach.
If you still had hope after that, Stetson came through and took the rest of it away.
Today we start our first lottery pick in 10 years, a top 50 guard, and a legend’s son. You shouldn’t have any hope, but this group shouldn’t be the reason why.

After attending both games, my favorite lineup is Brandon,Torry, Sarr,Mucius, Hoard. We need to take steps to improve our defense and rebounding.

Last edited:
After attending both games, my favorite lineup is Brandon,Torry, Sarr,Mucius, Hoard. We need to take steps to improve our defense and rebounding.

I agree with this. The team needs to get stops. A couple of new things I noted that suggest Manning's scheme and/or ability to motivate D is lacking - 1) as a freshman, Childress played good D and opposing guards rarely got past him. That's no longer the case. Now that may be because he is playing more minutes and also needs to avoid foul problems, but his D is not where it used to be. 2) A transfer, Torry Johnson, is our best defensive player. He rotates quickly, anticipates passes, and gets opposing players to take difficult shots. He does so while being under control.

I thought this game was very similar to the opener last year. We played a team with small, quick guards that shot well, and we struggled to stop them. Ga Southern was probably better than A&T. Last year we led and then folded in the last 2 minutes. This year we had a larger lead throughout the game but failed to completely put them away. It was good to see Wright hit that 3 when they cut the lead to 8, and obviously it's way better to come away with a win.

The problem remains the D. Under Manning, teams frequently start the game by hitting 3s. We sometimes play good D for 25 seconds and then either give up an open shot or failed to secure the D rebound. We also fail to take advantage of opportunities to put the game away. Yesterday, we were up 17 late in the second half, played good D for 25 seconds and then fouled Harris as he missed a 3 at the end of the shot clock. (We also fouled a forced 3 at the end of the shot clot against Belmont Abbey). Harris hit 3 free throws, and he then A&T got hot and hit several 3s after that.

This team will be better than last year's. More athletic, taller, Chill is a better PG, Hoard is the best player (not just freshman) we've had in years. Mucius will be very good. Brown doesn't have to push as hard. Biggest area of concern is down low. Defense will improve over time.

Hoard is a darn good ball handler. With Wright better than expected in that area as well, pressing Wake should be pretty difficult. Also nice that the bigs are good FT shooters.

Hoard is a darn good ball handler. With Wright better than expected in that area as well, pressing Wake should be pretty difficult. Also nice that the bigs are good FT shooters.

Belmont Abbey pressed us effectively in the exhibition. We turned it over several times.

I agree regarding Hoard’s ball handling. Apparently he sometimes brings the ball up in practice.

He did it some yesterday. We haven’t had a legit ball handler in the post ever.

He’s the closest one. He didn’t really have two with Teague and Ish.

I'm just so thankful that so many people have already figured out what's wrong with the team after this first game. Please be sure to stop in and see Danny or email him so he'll know what to do. I'm also really impressed with those of you who suggested the Myrtle Beach tournament might show everyone more about the team. That's some deep, insightful thinking. As an alum it's reassuring to see that a Wake Forest experience fosters such thoughtful, contemplative minds.

I'm just so thankful that so many people have already figured out what's wrong with the team after this first game. Please be sure to stop in and see Danny or email him so he'll know what to do. I'm also really impressed with those of you who suggested the Myrtle Beach tournament might show everyone more about the team. That's some deep, insightful thinking. As an alum it's reassuring to see that a Wake Forest experience fosters such thoughtful, contemplative minds.

you seem like a bitter dude

As a WF alum, it’s disappointing that the Wake Forest experience didn’t leave you with a more pleasant personality. Well, maybe you aren’t really an asshole but just post like one.

Torry Johnson was a pleasant surprise. When the Deacs showed energy and effort on D he was on the floor making life difficult for an A&T guard and leading by example.

Back