• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Field Hockey

ChrisL68

Riley Skinner
Reaction score
Wake beats Duke 1-0 in 2OT to go to the final four.

Wake had to have a run in the ACCT just to make the NCAA tourney.

A really impressive run for the Deacs.

Wake sports have been on a roll since the football win Thursday night. The women's soccer team made the NCAA tournament (after not making the ACC tournament!) and beat Ohio State on a golden goal in OT. Field hockey beat #7 Iowa and then #3 Duke in the NCAA tournament. Petros Chrysochos won several matches and is now in the finals of the NCAA fall singles championship. Volleyball came back from down 0-2 to beat Miami Friday night. Women's basketball won two games over the weekend to go to 3-0 on the season. And men's basketball won their first game. I think the only team to have lost is volleyball to Louisville today.

Face undefeated and #1 seed UNC in the final four.

Beating duke then facing Carolina is the same path we had to take in the ACC tournament. Carolina killed us in the final, so hopefully we can make this a match!

A really impressive run for the Deacs.

Wake sports have been on a roll since the football win Thursday night. The women's soccer team made the NCAA tournament (after not making the ACC tournament!) and beat Ohio State on a golden goal in OT. Field hockey beat #7 Iowa and then #3 Duke in the NCAA tournament. Petros Chrysochos won several matches and is now in the finals of the NCAA fall singles championship. Volleyball came back from down 0-2 to beat Miami Friday night. Women's basketball won two games over the weekend to go to 3-0 on the season. And men's basketball won their first game. I think the only team to have lost is volleyball to Louisville today.

Petros wins

Carolina looks like in A League of Their Own but it's really nice that we were able to make it to the Final Four.

UNC-CH is a machine. Duke actually was the more dominant team today, but Wake got the win.

Go Deacs! Beat #3 Duke twice in 9 days to get to the ACC Finals and the Final Four! We are hot. Carolina is a machine, but sometimes machines break down.

Bump. Heading to Louisville tomorrow for the Final Four. This is our first Final Four in 10 years. The last one was in....Louisville. That was the last of 9 straight Final Fours. The first of three national championships won by the Deacs was in 2002...at Louisville. Good vibes! Channel your inner 1985 Villanova. We are going to need it to beat UNC. They are very good.

Bump. Heading to Louisville tomorrow for the Final Four. This is our first Final Four in 10 years. The last one was in....Louisville. That was the last of 9 straight Final Fours. The first of three national championships won by the Deacs was in 2002...at Louisville. Good vibes! Channel your inner 1985 Villanova. We are going to need it to beat UNC. They are very good.

Good on you! I’ll be watching!

how did hockey go from such dominance to seeming irrelevance?

how did hockey go from such dominance to seeming irrelevance?
I don't think irrelevance is the right word because Averill's teams are always competitive. But there are only something dumb like eighty division one programs (and, like soccer, the ACC is the dominant conference and I don't think all teams can make the conference tournament). I just think that taking a team to the final four is perhaps harder than we tend to imagine given our run. I guess I'd say we're only irrelevant if you're not paying attention (and most of us are not).

I don't think irrelevance is the right word because Averill's teams are always competitive. But there are only something dumb like eighty division one programs (and, like soccer, the ACC is the dominant conference and I don't think all teams can make the conference tournament). I just think that taking a team to the final four is perhaps harder than we tend to imagine given our run. I guess I'd say we're only irrelevant if you're not paying attention (and most of us are not).

It's hard to stay at the absolute top of any sport. Wake field hockey remains one of the top 10 programs in the country (maybe top 5). For perspective, from 2000 to present Wake field hockey has 8 final fours and 3 national championships. During that same time Duke men's basketball has 4 final fours and 3 national championships.

It's hard to stay at the absolute top of any sport. Wake field hockey remains one of the top 10 programs in the country (maybe top 5). For perspective, from 2000 to present Wake field hockey has 8 final fours and 3 national championships. During that same time Duke men's basketball has 4 final fours and 3 national championships.

We are certainly not irrelevant but there was a clear drop in the status of the program. We were incredibly dominant and made the final 4 every year from 2000 -2008. Since that point we hadn't made until this year and missed the NCAA tournament 3 times ('10, '11, '16) and barely made it this year.

Last edited:
I totally disagree. Maybe a "clear drop in the status of the program" for you, a person who only tunes in when we're making finals. From what I've seen our recruiting hasn't dropped off at all. I bet if you ask anybody in the field hockey world we're still near the top.

We just had an incredible group of players for that run who, eventually, had to graduate. I mean, hell, we had a future Olympian in the incoming class of 2005 and she never made a final as far as I know.

I totally disagree. Maybe a "clear drop in the status of the program" for you, a person who only tunes in when we're making finals. From what I've seen our recruiting hasn't dropped off at all. I bet if you ask anybody in the field hockey world we're still near the top.

We just had an incredible group of players for that run who, eventually, had to graduate. I mean, hell, we had a future Olympian in the incoming class of 2005 and she never made a final as far as I know.

Not sure why recruiting is a better metric than on field performance.

Since we were last in the final four, UNC has made it 9 times, Maryland 7, Uconn 6, Syracuse 4. We are a top 10 program, but compared to where we were that is still a drop off.

To answer the question regarding the dropping the status of the program there was some sort of disciplinary action involving suspensions that happened right around the time we went our last final four in the program never really recovered to the elite level that it was at. Was it regarding some sort of hazing incidents I think? And going from nine straight final fours to no final fours in a 10-year period is clearly a drop-off.

Last edited:
Back