• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Not surprising. He never seemed to have the zeal for it. One less Midwest candidate should be good for Mayor Pete.

That's too bad. He could could have gone toe-to-toe with Trump.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/06/biden-trump-2020-florida-poll-1206260

Some encouraging news on the FL front in this Politico piece this a.m. Poll showed that DeSantis is pretty popular, at least among Pubs and independents - overall favorable rating is 50-23%. But in the same poll, Trump was 9 points down in his favorability rating - 43-52%. Also showed Biden with a bigger lead over Sanders there than in most other state polls. While many of us have lamented how the electoral map favors Pubs because of the small states all getting an extra 2 EVs just like the big states, Trump has an even narrower electoral map. With MI likely back in the fold, the Dems are sitting at 249 without PA, WI, IA, FL, NC or AZ. Trump absolutely can't afford to lose PA or FL. Even if he wins everything else but loses PA, it's 269/269, and the Dem house elects the Dem.

Except the vote is by state delegation, not by members. GOP has a majority in 26 states in the house. And it may be the newly elected congress that decides in 2021.

Not surprising. He never seemed to have the zeal for it. One less Midwest candidate should be good for Mayor Pete.

Lot of white moderate Democrats wanted him to run, but I never once saw that coming from anyone with close connections to him. I think he is a great Senator, not sure he would have been an effective President. Pretty similar to Warren, actually.

Lot of white moderate Democrats wanted him to run, but I never once saw that coming from anyone with close connections to him. I think he is a great Senator, not sure he would have been an effective President. Pretty similar to Warren, actually.

moderates wanted Sherrod Brown to run?

Is this n=1 where RJ is the moderate?

Brown would have been left of every candidate outside of Sanders. I can’t imagine the likes of ChrisL being that into him.

Brown would have been left of every candidate outside of Sanders. I can’t imagine the likes of ChrisL being that into him.

I don’t think they realized that. I’m speaking anecdotally (fucking dangerous, I know) about classmates and friends that are Democrats but wouldn’t necessarily be considered liberal (let alone progressive) that liked Brown. IMO it’s just “white guy not named Biden or Sanders” syndrome, but they liked him more than Warren, Harris, Booker, et al.

Again, great Senator, not sure he’s ideal as President.

Also I can kind of see the appeal of a Midwest white dude in a state like Kansas, regardless of where they fail on the spectrum. That comfortable feeling that a dude from Ohio would understand your issues better than a candidate from New England or a minority woman from California. I obviously don’t agree, but I at least see where they are coming from.

Sherrod Brown is progressive. He has been one of, if not the strongest supporters of unions in the Senate. He's been fully in support of healthcare expansion and many other issues.

Except the vote is by state delegation, not by members. GOP has a majority in 26 states in the house. And it may be the newly elected congress that decides in 2021.

Good point, forgot about that. So I looked at the #s. I assume we're just going by the number of reps per state and not the total of EVs per state. So MI and PA are tied in the house, taking away 34 votes. So assuming no rep broke party ranks, the final tally is Dems 203 to Pubs 200. And I'm pretty sure it's this current house that would decide, not the new prospective house. But if it were total EVs, which I don't think it is, instead of 203-200 Dems, the result would be 252-247 Pubs. Just consider the pressure on the potential reps who might consider breaking ranks.

I don’t think they realized that. I’m speaking anecdotally (fucking dangerous, I know) about classmates and friends that are Democrats but wouldn’t necessarily be considered liberal (let alone progressive) that liked Brown. IMO it’s just “white guy not named Biden or Sanders” syndrome, but they liked him more than Warren, Harris, Booker, et al.

Again, great Senator, not sure he’s ideal as President.

It's about being the best and most electable person PERIOD. The worst thing thing to be done is to put up the "correct" person who would have no chance to beat Trump or would be an easy target for Trump and his cabal.

Sherrod Brown is progressive. He has been one of, if not the strongest supporters of unions in the Senate. He's been fully in support of healthcare expansion and many other issues.

Not to mention he was firmly anti-Iraq War when it wasn’t super popular and had super high grades from HRC when LGBTQ support was very unpopular

Good point, forgot about that. So I looked at the #s. I assume we're just going by the number of reps per state and not the total of EVs per state. So MI and PA are tied in the house, taking away 34 votes. So assuming no rep broke party ranks, the final tally is Dems 203 to Pubs 200. And I'm pretty sure it's this current house that would decide, not the new prospective house. But if it were total EVs, which I don't think it is, instead of 203-200 Dems, the result would be 252-247 Pubs. Just consider the pressure on the potential reps who might consider breaking ranks.

each state delegation gets one vote

As Democratic voters begin to consider who to make their standard-bearer in the 2020 election, Joe Biden has held an early, commanding lead in the polls, fueled by the belief that he’s the best Democrat to take on Donald Trump. The former vice president spent the closing weeks of the 2018 midterms in what Politico called a “working class whisperer tour” to the midwestern states that Trump carried. Emphasizing his Scranton, Pennsylvania, roots, Biden styled himself in stop after stop as “Middle-Class Joe,” savoring praise from fellow Democrats as the “kind of guy you could have a beer with.”

This version of “folksy Joe” even touted himself as “labor from belt buckle to shoe buckle.” There’s only one problem with this carefully cultivated image: Joe Biden’s entire career.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-biden-2020_n_5c796502e4b087c2f295ba31?arq

We really need to just stop the polls. They're all just name recognition. That's it.

We really need to just stop the polls. They're all just name recognition. That's it.
Can we also stop doing the stupid polls where people generically label their political beliefs with no standard definitions.

Let's just poll people to determine what constitutes a suburb.
Socioeconomics is a far more determinant political formation than geographic proximity to a city. The political preferences of suburbanites have far more to do with their white collar managerial socio-economic status (which they share with the rural middle class) than with their proximity to a city.

Back