• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

That's the thing, cville. Republicans aren't going to go along with anything a Democrat President wants.

I think we could see movement on a couple of big things over the next 4-8 years. First is criminal justice reform. There are enough conservatives now who believe in it, even if they're coming at it from a mostly economic perspective. Second is pot legalization. A handful of states have already legalized it, and it's just eventual at this point. OTOH, I think immigration reform is near impossible in this environment, and health care is only a little less impossible.

What I think might be a good theme for the 2020 campaign would be to resurrect Harding's old theme - a return to normalcy. It beat's Trump's "America First" theme with its inherent Nazi and racist overtones. There is a good reason why neither party used that as a theme or motto for 75 years.

Conservatives would be fine with those if they came from a Republican President.

Pete Buttigieg town hall on CNN right now.

Fellow Delaware Dem Chris Coons has said he believes Biden will run. I'm conflicted on this. He's too old and likes to talk too much. OTOH, he's the only Dem right now who is consistently ahead of Bernie in the Dem polls and who polls better than all the other Dems against Trump. Biden and Beto/Harris/Klobuchar might be the best path to victory. And it's unlikely he'd lose PA to Trump, and Trump has to have PA to win. He'd also probably show up once or twice in MI and WI.

It's crazy to me that Gillibrand can't even get 1% considering she announced early and is a Senator. You'd think you could get 2% just from the ability to be on national TV far more often.

It's crazy to me that Gillibrand can't even get 1% considering she announced early and is a Senator. You'd think you could get 2% just from the ability to be on national TV far more often.

She's dead person walking. She is in the news today for the wrong reason - a female staffer complained about sexual harassment by an aide and that her response was poor. Regardless of the reality of the situation, that's her signature issue, and that's a bad look. That added to the fact that she has gotten zero traction thus far, and she has bad geography - a NE liberal.

Not so bold prediction, those Biden and Sanders numbers will dissipate and spread to Harris and 3-4 other candidates within the next 9 months.

Anybody check out the Buttigeig town hall? I think he did a good job. His lines about Pence got the most pub but the whole appearance was strong.

Anybody check out the Buttigeig town hall? I think he did a good job. His lines about Pence got the most pub but the whole appearance was strong.

Why is he running for president? Big red flag, imo. Prove that you can win in Indiana and then pursue national politics.

Also in the news today, the DNC chose Milwaukee over Houston and Miami as its 2020 convention site. So the next time around, it will be required for the nominee to spend at least a few days in WI. Seems like a good choice. If you just get PA, MI and WI back and hold everything else, that's 278.

What's the poll ? "Who would you vote for ?" or "Have you ever heard of this person ?"

Are you joking? I can’t tell.

No, I’m not joking. If mayor of south bend, Indiana is the best that you have to offer right now (he’s a former management consultant), then you probably shouldn’t run for President. Like Beto, Castro and Yang, this guy should put his resources towards helping actual people vs. feeding his ego.

LOL. It's Indiana. Based on your logic, the only Presidential candidates should be Republicans from red states and Democrats from blue states.

Seems weird for someone with such strong Progressive credentials to insist Presidential candidates need to spent several years within the machine you want to dismantle as opposed to being successful in local politics.

Last edited:
Back