• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

LOL. It's Indiana. Based on your logic, the only Presidential candidates should be Republicans from red states and Democrats from blue states.

Seems weird for someone with such strong Progressive credentials to insist Presidential candidates need to spent several years within the machine you want to dismantle as opposed to being successful in local politics.

He should run for Congress, Ph. If he’s capable of winning the presidency, then he can get a house or senate seat in Indiana. The same goes for Beto and Castro in Texas. Yang in whatever state he calls home.

I’m a big fan of helping people. If that’s within the system, then so be it. Until “the revolution,” it’s what we are stuck with anyway.

Politicians at least know how the system works. I’d rather not wait for a college town mayor to learn on the job while the world burns. Hell, even Obama took a few years to figure it out and this guy is no Obama.

Nobody is going to "figure out" the presidency immediately. If you're putting these types of restrictions on running for president, you're just going to have to wait that much longer for people with progressive credentials to run for President.

I'm in for Klobuchar, right background, super smart, etc. I also love that the biggest knock on her so far is that she's "mean to staff." She'd be the anti-snowflake.

LOL. It's Indiana. Based on your logic, the only Presidential candidates should be Republicans from red states and Democrats from blue states.

Seems weird for someone with such strong Progressive credentials to insist Presidential candidates need to spent several years within the machine you want to dismantle as opposed to being successful in local politics.

Not that I agree that often with Strick, but Buttigeig's resume is extremely thin. I mean Beto at least served 3 terms in the house. Buttigeig seems like a cool guy, but right now I'm thinking of who is the safest person that will likely get the most EVs against Trump. The policy differences with most of the Dems are pretty small anyway. I want someone who the moderates and progressives can live with and who can be reassuring to independents. And I think that needs to be a much more known quantity. Maybe not necessarily as known as Biden or Bernie, but at least senator, congressperson or governor. And I think that list in no particular order is Biden, Klobuchar, Beto, Harris, and maybe Hickenlooper and Inslee.

I'm in for Klobuchar, right background, super smart, etc. I also love that the biggest knock on her so far is that she's "mean to staff." She'd be the anti-snowflake.

It's odd that people think being shitty to your employees is a good quality.

Bingo.

Why Bingo? Because I don’t think a guy who has been a management consultant for more years than a mayor might not be qualified for the Oval Office?

Trump is breaking y’all’s brains.

He's at the end of his second term as mayor. That's 8 years.

He got a job out of college as a consultant for a year. Then he went to Oxford on a Rhodes scholarship. Then he came back and worked as a consultant for four years. Then he ran for office in 2011.

He's 37 in his 8th year of experience as a mayor. If we want people under 40 to run for President, very few are going to have experience as a governor or senator or several years in the House.

He's at the end of his second term as mayor. That's 8 years.

He got a job out of college as a consultant for a year. Then he went to Oxford on a Rhodes scholarship. Then he came back and worked as a consultant for four years. Then he ran for office in 2011.

He's 37 in his 8th year of experience as a mayor. If we want people under 40 to run for President, very few are going to have experience as a governor or senator or several years in the House.

You might want people under 40 to run for President. I don't. It's okay that we disagree on this point. POTUS is our government's CEO. I don't want a 38 year old CEO taking over a company that has withstood four years of Trump's kleptocracy.

As I've said over and over again, the DEMS should NOT nonimate anyone over 60 for POTUS in 2020

You might want people under 40 to run for President. I don't. It's okay that we disagree on this point. POTUS is our government's CEO. I don't want a 38 year old CEO taking over a company that has withstood four years of Trump's kleptocracy.

I'm completely fine with it especially if the 37 year old is the only one who seems to truly get that political norms have been eradicated and they're not coming back.

I am much more concerned about people over 70 being President than people under 40. I don't think it's going to happen for Pete next year, but I think he has a really bright future.

Yeah. Probably not, but he's putting himself out there. And if he loses, we can add him to the list of people under 50 who lost tough races but should be a force in the future along with Beto, Abrams, Gillum, McGrath, and a few others. When is the last time you could say Democrats had several promising people under 50 sitting on the bench?

I'm completely fine with it especially if the 37 year old is the only one who seems to truly get that political norms have been eradicated and they're not coming back.

I am much more concerned about people over 70 being President than people under 40. I don't think it's going to happen for Pete next year, but I think he has a really bright future.

Yeah. Probably not, but he's putting himself out there. And if he loses, we can add him to the list of people under 50 who lost tough races but should be a force in the future along with Beto, Abrams, Gillum, McGrath, and a few others. When is the last time you could say Democrats had several promising people under 50 sitting on the bench?

I don't disagree with you that Pete is going to be a good politician. I just want these politicians to win tough races before running for president. Abrams, Gillum, McGrath, etc. have moral victories, but a presidential candidate will have to carry red states, win tough elections, galvanize new voters, build Dem bases in red districts, etc.

Once these folks start winning elections, I'm game. In the meantime, I prefer candidates with political experience and who can win elections in this modern age. Ocasio-Cortez comes to mind as a young politician who might be an intriguing candidate in the future. Winning NY's 14th district (vs. Crowell if you recall) wasn't easy, but AOC did it through a combination of charisma, platform, and on-the-ground campaigning. There is no reason that Buttigieg, if he is as good as y'all seem to think he is, could not do the same with Indiana's 2nd District with the support of the DNC behind him and a national grassroots mobilization effort. Beto could build on his momentum from 2018 to deliver a Senate seat or Governorship. Castro could just win something that he wasn't appointed to, etc.

Running for president only benefits Buttigieg. I would rather him take his newfound national profile and turn it into a House seat, at the very least, before making a legit run for the Oval.

Last edited:
“a presidential candidate will have to carry red states, win tough elections, galvanize new voters, build Dem bases in red districts, etc.”

Hillary didn’t do any of those. Bernie has only galvanized new voters. Beto, Gillum, and Abrams got very close on the first two and did the second two.

“a presidential candidate will have to carry red states, win tough elections, galvanize new voters, build Dem bases in red districts, etc.”

Hillary didn’t do any of those. Bernie has only galvanized new voters. Beto, Gillum, and Abrams got very close on the first two and did the second two.

Clinton was an awful candidate. That's why she lost. The same goes for Kerry. Successful Democratic candidates win elections by doing those things and candidates that haven't proven able to do those things typically don't win elections. That supports the point that I'm trying to make regarding your man Pete.

Clinton won the nomination. Sanders didn't. Stop talking about him like he lost the 2016 general. Sanders didn't have a chance to carry red states because of mechanisms that we have discussed at length on this board, but he galvanized new voters and, via Our Revolution, has slowly built Dem bases in red districts. He's done a lot more for the party than any of the candidates currently in the race. Gillibrand and Harris still strike me as better candidates, but Sanders is about as accomplished in this field as we'll get (don't even get me started on "Uncle Joe," who has been virtually been a ghost post-election).

Abrams, O'Rourke, and Gillum could not carry red states in statewide elections. They weren't close because it's a zero-sum game and O'Rourke at least has already put whatever momentum he had on a state level towards a presidential run. It's one among many reasons that I don't respect him at all. I'll lose respect for Abrams if she does the same. Folks don't understand that part of a successful electoral mobilization campaign is being able to get those voters to come back out for the candidates that they supported. There are a lot of Democrats who voted specifically for Abrams, O'Rourke, and Gillum, not just against their Republican competitors. Of all people, Ph, you should recognize this.

Besides good old white male charisma, what else does Beto have going for him on a national stage? Real moderates aren't buying his "everything for everyone" political ideology and he's not going to bring anybody over from the right against Trump because he stands for nothing and clothes himself in tired #resistance rhetoric.

Likewise, Gillum needs to win an election in Florida before I am sold on his abilities as a national candidate. Even though the DNC has been worthless lately and candidates have been weak, Florida is still demographically a blue (at worst purple) state. It's winnable. With greater name recognition, he has the chance to win an election in the near future. Same with Abrams.

I think of the three Abrams probably has the ideal combo of competence and charisma, but I would still like to see her win a congressional or gubernatorial election before investing too much in her bandwagon.

Again, we're citing moral victories like year two in the [Redacted]-era. That's not going to beat Trump.

Those are fair points but the big names in the field are safe seat blue staters.

Back