• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Because I'm not trying to claim he's a Progressive. I do think he will tack further left if he's running for President as opposed to running in Texas.

No it wasn't. My claim was that Bernie's supporters are not going to let Progressives into the mix. The complete fealty to Bernie and early assault on Beto 23 months before the election were a sign they'll use the One True Progressive argument against actual Progressives too.

Seems like a stretch and there just isn’t much evidence of it at all, beyond speculation. I’m sorry for misrepresenting your argument.

Merry Xmas to all!

Because I'm not trying to claim he's a Progressive. I do think he will tack further left if he's running for President as opposed to running in Texas.

No it wasn't. My claim was that Bernie's supporters are not going to let Progressives into the mix. The complete fealty to Bernie and early assault on Beto 23 months before the election were a sign they'll use the One True Progressive argument against actual Progressives too.

So journalists examining and critisizing Beto's voting record is "fealty to Bernie" and an "assault" on "actual progressive" Beto? Thats a weird statement, because

1.It's not fealty to Bernie, it's fealty to a progressive platform
2. It's not assault, it's vetting a candidate
3. Beto isn't a progressive. Liz Warren (sorta) and Sherrod Brown are progressives.

Last edited:
So journalists examining and critisizing Beto's voting record is "fealty to Bernie" and an "assault" on "actual progressive" Beto? Thats a weird statement, because

1.It's not fealty to Bernie, it's fealty to a progressive platform
2. It's not assault, it's vetting a candidate
3. Beto isn't a progressive. Liz Warren (sorta) and Sherrod Brown are progressives.

Yeah, this is a better articulated version of my point. Thanks, mdmh. It’s not like there aren’t prominent progressives in the mix. They just aren’t Beto O’Rourke who the media portrayed as a progressive despite the fact that he has a centrist’s record.

Weird. I thought I read the article. The article I read identified people as Bernie supporters, not Progressives.

Also the article wasn’t journalists researching Beto’s record. It was a journalist writing about Bernie supporters negative campaigning before any candidates have declared.

I’d rather see each candidate put her or his best foot or no foot forward and supporters make their case than see in-fighting during such a crucial time.

Other Tammy. Pretty cool that we have two Tammys who could legitimate run for President.

More people need to run against corporations. What % of the country pays credit card interest do you suppose?

What makes Beto a fraud?

Press has hyped himself up as a progressive or at least progressive-leaning a lot during and in the aftermath of the election, which just does not match his voting record. It reminds me of when Clinton supporters briefly tried painting her as a progressive when her voting record was out there for all to see.

Calling him a fraud is hyperbolic, but I don’t respect that move in contemporary politics

Press has hyped himself up as a progressive or at least progressive-leaning a lot during and in the aftermath of the election, which just does not match his voting record. It reminds me of when Clinton supporters briefly tried painting her as a progressive when her voting record was out there for all to see.

Calling him a fraud is hyperbolic, but I don’t respect that move in contemporary politics

Is it your contention that the press has done that or the candidate?

His record reflects his district and his constituents. I suspect he'll look a little bit different on the national stage.

I'll try to read the article when I get as minute.

I wouldn't call Beto a fraud, but he has been more conservative than the average Democrat, and more of a centrist than a progressive from what I've read on his stances and voting. There are a half dozen journalists I've seen discussing this so not sure how it's a "hit" from Bernie supporters so much as analysis of his record. It's also no fault of Beto. I haven't heard him referring to himself as a progressive candidate, though I think people mistakenly get excited he is because he ran a grassroot style campaign.

I think Haley would be a better lead for the ticket since Kasich had a very poor 2016 campaign. He was just one of the last to bail.

I think Haley would be a better lead for the ticket since Kasich had a very poor 2016 campaign. He was just one of the last to bail.

Yeah That’s probably true. Also, it’d be sweet if Haley was the first woman president. That’d be a tough pill for hill dawg to swallow.

But I’d have a tough time not voting for Betbro. He seems like a pretty cool dude who has the charisma to cross party lines and get shit done.

Seems like the left is right on schedule to cannibalize itself before the 2020 general.

Exactly. Beto is probably to the left of most Dem nominees over the last 40 years.

We literally had people who call themselves progressives defending people who voted for a Russian backed spoiler over Hillary.

Last edited:
What makes Beto a fraud?

Fraud is the wrong word. I’m prone to hyperbole. It’s not Beto’s fault that the media crowned him a progressive. He’s just another charismatic liberal with a voting record that is anything but progressive.

Back