• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Serious question here: do you guys make sure you save receipts and get write off for all of your charitable donations? I definitely don't -- probably get them for a little less than half (because I'm lazy with that stuff or lose them or don't get them all together in time), but I was wondering if that is common.

Not all, but I definitely think I end up deducting more than half of what I contribute - maybe 80% or 90%? I have 3 annual gifts that are easy to remember and are real dollars. The $25 or $50 because someone is running for Team in Training or the elementary school is doing a read-a-thon (and anything that goes to Goodwill) tend to get lost in the shuffle.

Homophobic hecklers are now following Mayor Pete in Iowa. So far, he has handled it beautifully. These hate-filled non-Christians are strengthening his support.

They're Christians and that's the problem. Let's not pretend like it isn't the Christian faith that is radicalizing these nut jobs.

Last edited:
I thought Beto had the it factor. Turns out that couldn't be more wrong.

Yeah. He’s a donk who greatly benefitted from running against one of the most hated people in politics.

D2BpLiBWwAARv6g.jpg

Yeah. He’s a donk who greatly benefitted from running against one of the most hated people in politics.

Isn’t your guy Pete doing college colored signs? Ain’t no way he’s not doing purple and orange in SC.

You can look them up on the link I posted. SC is light blue writing on a dark blue background. There’s only 9 colors in the palette. Seems like they use team colors when they’re in the palette. There’s no purple or maroon in the palette.

Serious question here: do you guys make sure you save receipts and get write off for all of your charitable donations? I definitely don't -- probably get them for a little less than half (because I'm lazy with that stuff or lose them or don't get them all together in time), but I was wondering if that is common.

you can't write off what you give to your church...can you? if so, how do you track it...checks? i mean, who writes checks any more.

you can't write off what you give to your church...can you? if so, how do you track it...checks? i mean, who writes checks any more.
Seriously? Yes you can write off what you give to your church and most of them will send you statements at the end of the year

Heard one of Jay Inslee's interviews with PSA. Sharp guy. Definitely has good ideas and was a good interview all around. I continue to be impressed with the entire field in different ways.

Welp, Mayor Pete now has DEA endorsement. not gonna go over well with the M&M crew.

https://theintercept.com/2019/04/17/democratic-candidates-lobbyist-donations/

The donation disclosures released this week by the Federal Election Commission highlight a number of murky areas where candidates take special-interest cash despite pledges not to. John Buckley, chief executive officer of Subject Matter, a sprawling lobbying firm that represents corporate clients, such as health insurance giant UnitedHealth and oil giant BP, is an O’Rourke donor. Buckley, however, is not himself a registered lobbyist.

Some donations clearly cross the threshold. The FEC disclosures show that O’Rourke also received money from Amy Thomas, a federal lobbyist for the American Public Power Association, as well as from Patrick Killen, a registered state lobbyist for Chevron in New Mexico.

Booker appears to have closely followed his no federal lobbyist rule. The campaign revealed on Monday that it had returned a $1,000 from Kristen Ludecke, a federal lobbyist for PSEG, the largest utility company in New Jersey. But the Booker campaign continues to embrace corporate lobbyists that register under state and municipal registration guidelines. His campaign received campaign funds from multiple lobbyists working at Mercury Public Affairs; Dennis Marco, a local health care and pharmaceutical lobbyist; and from Dennis Culnan, a New Jersey lobbyist closely tied to the Norcross family political machine.

The Harris campaign received the most registered lobbyist donations of any Democratic presidential campaign that has said it would not take the cash.

The long list of state- and municipal-registered lobbyists giving to the Harris campaign includes Leecia Eve, a Verizon lobbyist in New York; Alex Tourk, an Airbnb lobbyist in San Francisco; Alexander Clemons, who represents AT&T; Cliff Berg, registered to lobby on behalf of Novartis, Cemex, and Visa; Darrell Campbell, a South Carolina lobbyist for Pfizer, Juul, HCA health care and Duke Energy; Emily Giske, a former Democratic National Committee superdelegate who lobbies for Cigna, IBM, and Google; Jennifer Wada, a charter school lobbyist; and Justin Ross, a Maryland construction and real estate lobbyist.

Other lobbyists who gave to Harris fall into the gray area of unregistered influence peddlers. William Castleberry is not technically registered, but he is an influential Facebook lobbyist who oversees the Menlo Park, California, company’s expansive state-level government affairs operations; he gave $2,700 to Harris. Matthew Gerst, who gave $500, falls into similar territory: He leads the regulatory lobbying for CTIA, a trade group for wireless-telecom companies, such as Verizon and AT&T, but is not registered to lobby.

Democrats across the board have raised huge sums of grassroots money this cycle, in large part by promising that they will reject cash from Super PACs, corporate PACs, and lobbyists.

“Our campaign is not taking a dime from corporate PACs or lobbyists — and that was a very deliberate choice. Yes, it means we are leaving money on the table. But that’s ok with me,” Harris wrote in an email to supporters in February.

The Harris email made clear the purpose of the lobby donation ban: “I never want there to be any question about whether I’m listening to the people or corporate lobbyists. The answer will always be the people.”

Heard one of Jay Inslee's interviews with PSA. Sharp guy. Definitely has good ideas and was a good interview all around. I continue to be impressed with the entire field in different ways.

I like Inslee and Hickenlooper as governors. And y'all have me interested in Buttigieg. He strikes me as a more honest and thoughtful than usual pol, and who has a lot more depth than Beto, who is more of a nice, good looking and popular guy but would rather avoid talking about hot button issues. Beto is starting to remind me of Bobby Newport. But I continue not to be impressed with the entire field in the sense that I'm not seeing someone who can both win the primary and then definitely defeat Trump. I realize it's early and that the general public doesn't really know these folks outside of Bernie (and Biden if he runs). But none of them are polling particularly well against Trump in national or state polls thus far, and the eventual Dem nominee will likely have to win the popular vote by 4-5% in order to win the election. To me, the question is who can perform best in a handful of states: PA, MI, WI, IA, NV, MN, NC, FL and maybe AZ. Because that's really all that matters. And I don't have much of an idea as to who that is yet. I'm tentatively thinking Harris or Beto.

I like Inslee and Hickenlooper as governors. And y'all have me interested in Buttigieg. He strikes me as a more honest and thoughtful than usual pol, and who has a lot more depth than Beto, who is more of a nice, good looking and popular guy but would rather avoid talking about hot button issues. Beto is starting to remind me of Bobby Newport. But I continue not to be impressed with the entire field in the sense that I'm not seeing someone who can both win the primary and then definitely defeat Trump. I realize it's early and that the general public doesn't really know these folks outside of Bernie (and Biden if he runs). But none of them are polling particularly well against Trump in national or state polls thus far, and the eventual Dem nominee will likely have to win the popular vote by 4-5% in order to win the election. To me, the question is who can perform best in a handful of states: PA, MI, WI, IA, NV, MN, NC, FL and maybe AZ. Because that's really all that matters. And I don't have much of an idea as to who that is yet. I'm tentatively thinking Harris or Beto.

I wish Hickenlooper would run for Senate; pretty sure he'd blow Cory Gardner out of the water. CO really needs to flip Gardners seat next year.

I am really digging Mayor Pete

the guy is unflappable, even with the hypocritical bible thumping in Iowa. it is the utmost importance to me that an adult get back into the WH. time to bring some sort of prestige back to the Presidency...a long way to go after this adolescent abortion of a president.

Back