• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Because it's not penalizing those that paid theirs off, and it's not a "reward" for those that are currently suffering from crippling debt. To frame the policy as such is to ignore the fundamental economics that underlie it. RJ put it relatively simply above re: Wake Forest: tuition used to be 30% of average per capita income, now it's over 130% of average per capita income (using his numbers, I don't know Wake well). Public schools aren't much better. In 1970, public universities cost around 20% of average per capita income, now it's well over 50% and only increasing. So to start, anyone who has entered college in the last 10-15 years got screwed and the kids who are entering college now are even more screwed.

In addition to college costs skyrocketing, it's never been harder to find employment without at least a 4-year degree. I am in the process of applying for jobs (pending May graduation) and my entry level salary range is around $40,000 on average. But, every single job I've applied for has at a minimum required a 4-year degree plus at least 2 years experience in the field, and most of the jobs have "preferred" qualifications of a post-graduate degree. And paid internships are increasingly rare and most likely only available for a very privileged few, so most college students are forced to work as unpaid labor until they graduate to meet the work experience requirements and then hope that those hours put in for free turn into an opportunity somewhere.

So college costs are huge, decent paying jobs are mostly unavailable to anyone who doesn't have at least a bachelor's degree, and it's nigh impossible to find an internship to gain experience that will pay you for your work. So how do you pay for all this? Student loans. And what increases as college costs increase and it's difficult to find any work experience that also pays? Student loans. Giving relief to Gen X and millennials will likely boost the economy as literal billions of dollars become available for millions of Americans who otherwise would be paying off interest for the next 20 years. And it will allow Gen Z kids and the next generation to have peace of mind that they are not going to be totally fucked in 5-10 years because college ruins them financially for the next 3 decades.

If you have a technical or bachelors degree in a useful field it is not hard to find a decent paying job. Unemployment has never been lower since the 60s or 70s, and the volume of unfulfilled jobs have never been higher since we began keeping track of the statistic. So spare us this anecdotal bullshit.

And let’s just all agree that arguments centered around “I didn’t get this, therefore fuck everyone else, they don’t get it either” is just dumb on its face and also one of the largest reasons we are in deep shit in a lot of aspects in America

This horribly bad take is getting ripped apart on Twitter* -- need to read the replies on this one:

*By people who haven't struggled to pay student loans and are not the ones getting slapped in the face.

And let’s just all agree that arguments centered around “I didn’t get this, therefore fuck everyone else, they don’t get it either” is just dumb on its face and also one of the largest reasons we are in deep shit in a lot of aspects in America

Also just dumb to have a take like... I can't get a decent paying job with my personal bullshit degree, so fuck the tax payers make them pay for my debt.

If you have a technical or bachelors degree in a useful field it is not hard to find a decent paying job. Unemployment has never been lower since the 60s or 70s, and the volume of unfulfilled jobs have never been higher since we began keeping track of the statistic. So spare us this anecdotal bullshit.

Yes this anecdotal bullshit that nearly everyone in Gen X or my generation is suffering from. Ignore the data, it’s just stories from bitchy millennials who are spoiled and don’t want to work for anything.

Also just dumb to have a take like... I can't get a decent paying job with my personal bullshit degree, so fuck the tax payers make them pay for my debt.

At no point did I ever intimate that I was not finding a decent paying job.

Says a lot about whatamount’s head space that he thought I was bitching that a $40,000 job was not decent pay. Shit I’d jump out of my shorts if I was making even $25,000. I’ve been living on like $12,000-15,000 a year for a decade lol.

Yes this anecdotal bullshit that nearly everyone in Gen X or my generation is suffering from. Ignore the data, it’s just stories from bitchy millennials who are spoiled and don’t want to work for anything.

Not true, my company, and tons of companies (more than ever stats don't lie) are throwing cash at qualified applicants out of school. Many times the problems are we can't compete with starting salaries of the big tech firms like Google, and Amazon. Kids are coming out of school weighing multiple offers at 200K a year plus, and we can't find enough qualified people to hire.

All Gen Xers and Millennial are

Not true, my company, and tons of companies (more than ever stats don't lie) are throwing cash at qualified applicants out of school. Many times the problems are we can't compete with starting salaries of the big tech firms like Google, and Amazon. Kids are coming out of school weighing multiple offers at 200K a year plus, and we can't find enough qualified people to hire.

All Gen Xers and Millennial are

That’s great. I don’t know what field you are in, but I hope you continue to do so. And I hope that for any employees you hire, if they fall into one of the tiers for loan forgiveness put forward by Warren that they receive that forgiveness.

Says a lot about whatamount’s head space that he thought I was bitching that a $40,000 job was not decent pay. Shit I’d jump out of my shorts if I was making even $25,000. I’ve been living on like $12,000-15,000 a year for a decade lol.

Wouldn't $25,000 put you in the Top 5% in KS?

That’s great. I don’t know what field you are in, but I hope you continue to do so. And I hope that for any employees you hire, if they fall into one of the tiers for loan forgiveness put forward by Warren that they receive that forgiveness.

Why should you receive loan forgiveness if you can easily afford to pay it?

I am not against some loan forgiveness, especially if you got scammed by colleges over selling bad degrees with little economic employment opportunities. I think there should be some parameters that loans are forgiven, i just don't think the line is everybody not making 100K.

I also think college departments and administrators should be investigated for fraud for criminally overselling degrees in order to keep up their departmental bloat.

Most receptionists are making $40k these days, what are you people with degrees settling for? We built intrastate highways so you can get out of the boonies.

I have student loans. I am not whining about this*

*Because it's not all about me.

Amen. Millennials get criticized constantly by older generations for "killing industries", such as the wedding industry, the beer industry, the housing market, cable TV, chain restaurants, and the list can go on and on. But god forbid millennials and Gen X Americans that were forced to take on tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to go to college ask for some help that will allow them to participate economically in the industries that they are blamed for killing. Everyone benefits from policies such as this. You can argue different standards that need to be met to get forgiveness or the level of forgiveness available, but just straight up rejecting it because "fuck them kids" is just ridiculous.

Most receptionists are making $40k these days, what are you people with degrees settling for? We built intrastate highways so you can get out of the boonies.

2.2/10

Exactly.

So, for those idiots that actually honored their debt obligations, they are hosed for being responsible and managing to pay off their debt or most of their debt?

Why is it good policy to reward people that can't pay their debts and penalize those that do?

Isn't this exactly what happened in the housing crash of 2008? Mega banks are the only ones that benefited when we the people foot the bill for decades to come in terms of government debt and collapsed housing prices.

Back