• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I think Bernie is a bad choice for President.

I’m not saying he’s a bad candidate.

Bernie's had the same ideology for 50 years. He had to literally run for President, against the wishes of the Democratic party, for people to learn who he was. Exactly how is he supposed to transfer that recognition?

Bernie's had the same ideology for 50 years. He had to literally run for President, against the wishes of the Democratic party, for people to learn who he was. Exactly how is he supposed to transfer that recognition?

By not getting in the way of other progressives who want to literally run for President. I'm not saying he has to "transfer" anything. I'm saying that Bernie and his supporters should allow the field to emerge and not be deadset on Bernie.

MDMH, would you rather see Bernie run for President and consolidate Progressive support based on his 2016 run or see multiple young Progressive candidates run and boost their name recognition and promote Progressive ideas? If it's the latter, you agree with me so stop arguing.

I think whatever political capital Bernie does have would be best used to anoint and stump for a good candidate, probably one of the three Strick frequently lists.

However, if he does run, I also think his value is not as a viable presidential candidate, but to push the Democrats left and force whatever moderate front-runner emerges to go on record on some key issues.

MDMH, would you rather see Bernie run for President and consolidate Progressive support based on his 2016 run or see multiple young Progressive candidates run and boost their name recognition and promote Progressive ideas? If it's the latter, you agree with me so stop arguing.

I would rather Bernie run because I don't think their are "multiple young progressive candidates" waiting in the wings in case he backs out. I think the progressive options are Bernie or Elizabeth Warren. That was the current status when I started this thread, and I havent heard anything different since.

So is it the party or the popularity of ideas that result in the only 2 bonafide progressive candidates as old people from the bluest New England states?

And Elizabeth Warren is barely, if at all, a progressive.

Then the progressive movement isn’t ready for the big time and has squandered the moment.

An “out of nowhere” Progressive would be huge. Look at how much hype AOC has gotten and she’s not even in office yet.

Then the progressive movement isn’t ready for the big time and has squandered the moment.

An “out of nowhere” Progressive would be huge. Look at how much hype AOC has gotten and she’s not even in office yet.

Disagree. I don't think "lack of presidential candidates" is the same as "squandered moment".

So much of the progressive, er. progress is taking place at a local and regional level.

In fact, I think it's the only way it could be for it to be a long-lasting movement.

I'll grant you "not ready for the big time" though.

That said, even a failed presidential bid, like Bernie's, contributes to the momentum.

Disagree. I don't think "lack of presidential candidates" is the same as "squandered moment".

So much of the progressive, er. progress is taking place at a local and regional level.

In fact, I think it's the only way it could be for it to be a long-lasting movement.
This. The momentum from the Bernie primary campaign has resulted in DSA tripling in size, local/state level Dem Soc political wins all over the country, a huge boost in support for M4A and fight for 15 movements, plus the changes to the super delegate process in the Dem primary.

Bernie has to be one of the most influential losing candidates in history, which makes it difficult to understand why people believe he should be so easily replaced in just 4 years.

Last edited:
I'll grant you "not ready for the big time" though.

That said, even a failed presidential bid, like Bernie's, contributes to the momentum.

And this is the rub that I tried to explain with my hesitancy with DSA endorsing and working on a Bernie campaign. It will by necessity, because of capacity, mean we will sacrifice local organizing to campaign for someone who is not explicitly DSA.

This. The momentum from the Bernie primary campaign has resulted in DSA tripling in size, local/state level Dem Soc political wins all over the country, a huge boost in support for M4A and fight for 15 movements, plus the changes to the super delegate process in the Dem primary.

Bernie has to be one of the most influential losing candidates in history, which makes it difficult to understand why people believe he should be so easily replaced in just 4 years.

Because a younger candidate with more personality would have not lost. Bernie got traction because of the message not the person. That bodes will for progressives if they seize the moment.

Bernie is way too old. Beto is too inexperienced and he didn't win. Stacey Adams didn't win. I like Castro, but he seems too bland and not a big enough personality to run against Trump. He'd be good for VP. I was for Sherrod Brown as VP for Hillary. he'd be good if not for his age and having to replace him in the Senate.

It's so early. Hopefully, someone will explode. Don't sleep on Gavin Newsome.

Because a younger candidate with more personality would have not lost. Bernie got traction because of the message not the person. That bodes will for progressives if they seize the moment.
This finally gets to the heart of our disagreement. I absolutely disagree that a better personality was going to beat Hillary in the Dem primary, unless you think Obama has a twin brother. Hill had that primary sewed up from the get go, with or without the DNC in her pocket. You've made the argument yourself, Hillary scared away any legitimate competition.

I would love for a Gillum, Barbara Lee, El-Sayed, Abrams(to a lesser extent) to run, but I havent heard a whisper. The only possibilities at this point are two older Senators with no charisma.

Hillary and the DNC shooed away the competition because she was very beatable. Bernie’s success shows a likable candidate with his message would have won.

Back