• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Any of the Dems is preferable over the disaster we have now.

Warren's my man...er candidate. For now, anyhow.

I sure think Dems can do better than Biden. But hell, he's damn sure better than you know who.

Harris just isn’t doing much to earn votes from what I’ve seen. She occupies a crowded lane with Gillibrand and Booker and to some extent Biden.

Harris just isn’t doing much to earn votes from what I’ve seen. She occupies a crowded lane with Gillibrand and Booker and to some extent Biden.

Gillibrand just can't buy publicity, which is a shame. I don't think that she's hiding. Booker managed to make it a full two months before revealing himself to be a hypocrite without much going on (besides clever branding) to distinguish himself from Biden and Harris.

Biden and Harris are definitely using Clinton's "minimize exposure" tactic. Warren is emulating Sanders, doing a better job tbh, in terms of the flood the market with policy, rhetoric, and ideology and hope that it boosts popularity. Sanders is pushing controversial opinions (e.g., advocating for Palestinian rights to AJC) seemingly as a way of boosting his economic and racial justice bona fides. I'm just not sure it's going to work as well for him with Warren just steamrolling the competition right now.

I wasn't talking about how Harris is polling vis-a-vis her other Dem challengers. Right now, Joe is in the 30s, Bernie the high teens, Warren has reached double digits, and Harris and Buttigieg are in the 7-8% range. What I was talking about was how each of the Dems does in the battleground state polls v. Trump. Right now, Biden does the best by far followed by Sanders. Harris has consistently done the worst v. Trump over the last 2 months or so, and I can't think of a reason why other than she is a female and a person of color. Buttigieg is interesting. His TV performances got him a bump in the Dem primary polls up to that 7-8% range a few months ago, but they haven't moved since then. But a month or 2 ago, Buttigieg was still polling poorly in the state polls v. Trump (he was in Harris territory), and I was assuming this was because he is gay. But in the last 2-3 weeks, his numbers v. Trump have improved a bit, even though his numbers in the Dem primary polls have stayed about the same. I've wondered all along how electable Buttigieg is because of the gay thing, but his recent numbers v. Trump suggest he is becoming more electable. And that has me wondering if it's now worse to be a woman running for president than a gay man, or maybe his recent rise is due to his exceptional communication skills and folks accepting his being gay because he comes across in such a calm and non-threatening manner. Beats me.

Mayor Pete on Desus and Mero.

I love Desus and Mero. Pete did great. Seemed comfortable, was funny, talked himself up in an endearing way. Good shit.

Yeah. He has an impressive ability to deliver the same lines in different formats to different audiences and remain authentic to himself and to those audiences. He doesn't code switch or try to look cool. He's himself. It was funny when he took a swig of what looked like a 40 at the end and Desus said, "Keep it low in case the cops come." I don't think we've ever seen a president candidate drink alcohol out of a brown paper bag before. Yet it didn't look forced.

That ability gives me convince that he can communicate party values to a broad audience while also shoring up the base.

That ability gives me convince that he can communicate party values to a broad audience while also shoring up the base.

Unrelated to this clip, he also seems like a guy that can and will redefine party values for the better.

I love Desus and Mero. Pete did great. Seemed comfortable, was funny, talked himself up in an endearing way. Good shit.

At this point you just have to go all in on Mayor Pete. The guy has a style to articulate policy positions, and communicate with the electorate that nobody else in the field has.

I like Biden as well but he has so much baggage that the progressives will tear him apart on.

Beto has been exposed as a total donk. 70mil in out of state cash, and the media propaganda machine almost bought him a senate seat.

He needs to shack up with his heiress and do old rich white people things, and cut his political career short.

At this point you just have to go all in on Mayor Pete. The guy has a style to articulate policy positions, and communicate with the electorate that nobody else in the field has.

I like Biden as well but he has so much baggage that the progressives will tear him apart on.

Mayor Pete is definitely not shrill.

Guns, trade, to some extent Israel.

On race he's too old to really grasp much nuance, but since he generally gets class stuff right (housing, drug policy, things that disproportionately affect nonwhite people) he skates a little here. He's voted well on race and civil rights legislation, but hasn't translated that to winning nonwhite support because of consistent gaffes and that lack of nuance (and being a septuagenarian white guy).

What is a Bernie race gaffe worse than Warren’s DNA test?

What don’t you agree with on Israel? Warren defended the 2014 shelling of schools and hospitals in Gaza.

Weird that Bernie has by far the most transformative platform, is the only candidate to support NAACP’s moratorium on charters, supports the restoration of voting rights for incarcerated people, has Assata’s Daughters speaking at his rallies, meanwhile Warren is fundraising with charter school billionaires and wants to make imperialism net zero... but those gaffes.

But the Palestinians sending hundreds of shells into Israeli schools, shops and public transportation before the Israelis defended themselves was OK with you. Got it...

Iowa %s (+/- Since last poll)

Biden: 24% (-5)
Sanders: 16% (-9)
Warren: 15% (+6)
Buttigieg: 14% (+13)
Harris: 7% (+0)
Klobuchar: 2% (-1)

Sign of things to come. Iowa is getting a much larger dose of these candidates than everyone else.

If you read more about the polling, Biden and Sanders don't do as well with those more likely to caucus. I like Warren and Pete's chances of finishing 1 and 2 in Iowa. I think they're going to blow up after the first debate and the national numbers will look close to this.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/08/poli...en-sanders-warren-buttigieg-harris/index.html

Back