• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Will-To-beat-Trump-Dems-must-practice-a-13999203.php

"If the near future resembles the immediate past, which it often does, the Democratic nominee in 2020 will be, as the Republican nominee was in 2016, the person favored by the party faction for whom government is more a practical than an ideological concern. For Republicans in 2016, the faction — non-college whites — felt itself a casualty of an economic dynamism that has most benefited people who admire this faction least. In 2020, the decisive Democratic faction in the nomination contest is apt to be, as it was in 2016, African-Americans , whose appraisal of government is particularly practical: What will it do regarding health care, employment, schools? For them, packing the Supreme Court, impeaching the president, abolishing the Electoral College and other gesture-promises probably are distractions. African-Americans were at least 20 percent of the vote in 15 of the 2016 primaries, and in all the primaries combined they gave 76 percent of their votes to Hillary Clinton. This is why Trump did not get a chance to defeat Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, who narrowly defeated Clinton among white voters in the primaries. These numbers are from the National Journal’s Josh Kraushaar, who referred to a 2016 Pew survey that found just 27 percent of African-American Democrats identify as liberal, and a plurality describe themselves as moderate. Some of that plurality surely resent the idea of reparations for slavery as a badge of an irremediable damage...

Everything, however, depends on Democrats jettisoning, before they allow it to influence their selection of a candidate, their self-flattering explanation of 2016. As William Voegeli, senior editor of the Claremont Review of Books, has written: “Ascribing the 2016 election to your opponents’ bigotry makes clear that the problem was not that Democrats didn’t do enough to deserve people’s votes, but that the people weren’t good enough to deserve Democrats’ governance. ... One imagines that, sooner rather than later, even Democrats will come to suspect that denigrating people until they vote for you lacks a certain strategic plausibility.”

It’s really strange how often people think democrats should take strategic advice from conservatives. Tell me more, George Will.

George Will thinks black voters don’t want to address racial inequality because more black voters are moderate than liberal.

He’s out of touch with old white conservatives. Why would anyone think he’s in touch with black voters?

Not to mention the strategy he thinks won’t work for Democrats is what has been successful for Republicans.

I’m sure George Will talked to zero black people before writing that trash.

If they knew what was good for them, they wouldn’t need George Will to tell them.

Bernie dropped to a tie for 4th in SC poll at 9% with Harris. Warren at 17% and Pete at 11%.

https://www.axios.com/warren-buttig...ina-aa8115ab-aecc-4d11-9dac-9a63ba012c82.html

Glad to see this. The Pete Facebook groups are always panicking about his low support among black voters. He’s a solid 4th. He was at 0% in the last poll.

Warren leads among young voters. Pete is a clear second among old voters.

The best thing about Biden getting in the race has been that he's negatively affected Bernie's poll numbers more than anyone else, and maybe Harris to a much lesser extent. Warren's and Buttigieg's numbers haven't been affected.

Bernie dropped to a tie for 4th in SC poll at 9% with Harris. Warren at 17% and Pete at 11%.

https://www.axios.com/warren-buttig...ina-aa8115ab-aecc-4d11-9dac-9a63ba012c82.html

Glad to see this. The Pete Facebook groups are always panicking about his low support among black voters. He’s a solid 4th. He was at 0% in the last poll.

Warren leads among young voters. Pete is a clear second among old voters.

Doing what I can in SC to get his name out there. I got a Pete 2020 shirt for Fathers Day so I will be sporting that whenever I can. We going to host an official debate watching party but I work on Thursday nights so I can’t.

He challenges them every show. But there's only so much time in a show.

03b0a61da665fe573ede26b6be96f98a.jpg

In fairness (not in a nice way) to Todd, he may have been too dumb or clueless to pick up on what Scalise was actually saying there. Russert would have immediately noticed, stopped his line of questioning, and asked Scalise to explain what he meant before continuing. Todd, imo, isn't nearly as smart or perceptive as he likes to think he is, and he often misses stuff like this. Or maybe he is just avoiding asking the hard questions. I guess it doesn't matter, really, as the end effect is still the same - guys like Scalise say outrageous stuff and get a pass.

There was a good tweet thread yesterday explaining that the foreign contact for the dossier was when Republicans were doing oppo research on Trump.

I'm not sure what th4 point of saying this was:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-he-might-not-first-gay-president/1475086001/

But, according to Buttigieg, he would not be the first gay president.

In an interview with "Axios on HBO" aired on Sunday evening, Buttigieg asserted that it's "almost certain" he would not be the first gay president.

Buttigieg, the South Bend, Indiana mayor running for the Democratic nomination, had been asked if Americans might react adversely to his sexual orientation.

He responded: "I'll respond by explaining where I want to lead this country. People will elect the person who will make the best president. And we have had excellent presidents who have been young. We have had excellent presidents who have been liberal. I would imagine we've probably had excellent presidents who were gay – we just didn't know which ones."

Back