• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Jesus, Beto. Sure you're running as a Democrat?

Not sure if they used the Dixiecrat name but yeah. Then Reagan Democrats and now Republicans.

I’m glad he is running. If he didn’t there would be a big deal of people saying he should have.

Definitely used that name. Strom Thurmond was a Democrat before Civil Rights legislation who became a Dixiecrat then a Republican.

Yikes.

Maybe the idea is to make those who aren't commiting to war with the potential loss of a human life bear more of the cost of the conflict. But, yeah, this guy is a moron.

Definitely used that name. Strom Thurmond was a Democrat before Civil Rights legislation who became a Dixiecrat then a Republican.

Yeah there were Dixiecrats, but not everyone segregationist adopted the Dixiecrat label.

Beto that is among the dumbest ideas of the cycle

Yeah there were Dixiecrats, but not everyone segregationist adopted the Dixiecrat label.

Yes, not everyone who touched a particular ideology immediately migrated to a particular party in 1948.

I mean tying wars into the popularity of taxes isn’t the worst idea as it puts conservatives love of war against their hatred of taxes. All wars are already put on the iou deficient credit card but the hey we want to bomb Iran but it’s going to cost each of you 2 grand to do it might make sense prevail .

I mean tying wars into the popularity of taxes isn’t the worst idea as it puts conservatives love of war against their hatred of taxes. All wars are already put on the iou deficient credit card but the hey we want to bomb Iran but it’s going to cost each of you 2 grand to do it might make sense prevail .

And conversely you could offer up one of your chlidren to the military to avoid paying taxes !

Except we're already paying taxes for wars. A lot of taxes. Seems like a better plan would be to promise a huge tax cut with cuts to the DOD budget and say any new wars will come with a new tax.

Good thread summarizing a lot of why I'm team Warren

I’ve been thinking about Beto’s idea and I don’t hate it. My biggest issue is that the cost is very high on the people who can’t afford it and would typically be sending kids to the war. For the wealthy who won’t send kids, the cost is essentially nothing.

Yikes.

To go along with this we'll also:
1) Tax antivaxxers to cover everyone else's medical bills for measels, etc.
2) Tax dumbasses to cover student loans
3) Tax single people to cover childcare costs
4) Tax churches to cover disaster relief due to Acts of God

Back