• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I like your idea of taxing churches to pay for acts of God. We soon may be unable to afford paying for the increasing number of acts of God, and religious folks tend to have more climate deniers among their numbers.

I like your idea of taxing churches to pay for acts of God. We soon may be unable to afford paying for the increasing number of acts of God, and religious folks tend to have more climate deniers among their numbers.

This is a hilarious and amazing idea.

debating is a small part of what makes a good candidate

A very small part. Basically, smile, get your talking points out there and avoid your Rick Perry moment. In 2016, the debates mattered little when it came to choosing the parties' nominees or in the results of the general, though maybe some OWGs got off on Trump's stalking of Hillary. What terrifies me is that despite Trump's buffoonery, criminal conduct and how outside the norm he has been from a historical perspective, there is still a decent chance he gets re-elected.

debating is a small part of what makes a good candidate

Being able to making a convincing case for your political views is a very big part of being a good candidate.

I like the tournament idea because it's one way to milk some media attention and drama which Democrats need to take the focus away from Trump. The odds are pretty decent that Trump live tweets during the debates and media primarily cover that. A tournament would make it harder for Trump to steal the thunder.

I think there are two views of Biden that people can hold simultaneously.

He’s a two time unsuccessful Presidential candidate who was a Senator from a tiny state who would be known for gaffes and a plagiarism scandal if a popular black nominee didn’t feel like he needed an old white guy to help him placate white voters. He’s the past but shouldn’t be the present and future of the party or country.

He’s also a good hearted friendly senator with a good reputation known for working both sides of the aisle. He’s charming Uncle Joe who may be a little handsy and overshare but it comes from a good place. That makes him a safe option in a must win election.

I think there is tension there. I think a lot of people like him but want someone else to earn their vote.

Another important take here (for me anyway) is the next Dem president, especially if they themselves are a technocrat, should embrace the younger progressive part of the party in their cabinet and VP picks so we aren't just left with more old folks come next election cycle. Obama kinda stuck us with Hillary and Biden in that way.

Another important take here (for me anyway) is the next Dem president, especially if they themselves are a technocrat, should embrace the younger progressive part of the party in their cabinet and VP picks so we aren't just left with more old folks come next election cycle. Obama kinda stuck us with Hillary and Biden in that way.

Obama was a young guy with little federal govt experience. So getting an OWG to be veep was seen as helpful at that time (please also remember Obama was not a shoe in for the general in the summer of 2008 when he picked Biden). If Biden lasts and gets the nomination this year, he'll most likely go with someone younger. Buttigieg makes the most sense because he's not going to win a senate seat or governor's mansion in that red a state. He's the most talented fresh face in the party and should be groomed for something important.

I was planning on paying off my student loans this year at year-end in one big swoop, but man this senator warren plan has me thinking it might be better to just leave it and hope for a freebie.

Why? Have you paid off your higher interest loans?

She's got a plan for everything. I want a person who is smart and has plans.

She's got a plan for everything. I want a person who is smart and has plans.

We've had various voting machine systems over the years, but a few years ago we shifted to something cheap and almost foolproof. We get a paper ballot, and we color in the circles next to who we want to vote for, then give it to a person who puts it through a small scanner at the exit door. And they keep the paper ballots just in case. So all you need at each polling place is a couple of scanners and boxes.

Agreed.

"Under my plan, federal elections will get state-of-the-art federal machines, federal ballots, and federal security. The federal government will replace insecure and outdated systems with hand-marked, voter-verified paper ballot machines. To prevent hanging-chads and other confusing ballot designs, we’ll have uniform federal ballots all across the country that are based on easy-to-use design principles. The federal government will also provide every polling location with accessible ballot machines for people with disabilities and conduct research into how to improve voting security and accessibility for all people, including those with disabilities and people for whom English isn’t their primary language.

Through a new independent Secure Democracy Administration, which will replace the Election Assistance Commission and be staffed by civil servants, the federal government will manage the cybersecurity aspects of elections and develop additional security procedures for election administration and the end-to-end handling of ballots. States will implement these additional security measures, and will receive technical assistance and training from the Secure Democracy Administration. In addition, states will be required to conduct risk-limiting audits prior to certifying elections — and we’ll have independent oversight of those audits."

Assuming there is money (a true leap of faith that's not based in reality) to forgive all student debt, it would be huge waste of money. Don't have a heart attack. Here's why.

Let's assume there is about $1.6T in student debt. If the money exists to pay this, it's very wasteful to spend it all on clearing student debt and nothing else. There are many people who have debt who can afford to pay it off.

If an average college costs about $30-40,000/years for all in costs, we'd be talking about seven people per million dollars for a four year full scholarship. That's 7000 scholarships per billion dollars. If you used a third of the $1.6T for full scholarships, you could provide full, four year scholarships for over 3 millions kids or even more if half or more were for trade schools and other training programs.

You could permanently endow tens of thousands (or more) full scholarships with another 1/3 of that money.

This would be much better than sinking it all into one pot.

Last edited:
Why are you worried about how much something is going to cost? You don’t have to do that. You’re a democrat.

This does not line up with history.

Yeah Palma, walk away bro, walk away. Tax payers will bail you out. Amirite PH or amirite?

I don't think you've ever been right about anything. In fact, you are the perfect representative for today's Republicans. Show up with a big mouth and a dumb argument, get your ass laid flat with facts, come back that next day with no shame making another loud, stupid argument and getting shown your ass again. Rinse, repeat.

Back