• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I'm not from Tejas so I don't know much about him other than he made the senate race close and raised a buttload of cash. Please splain or at least sum up why you're so sure he's on the ticket.

He’s by far the most charismatic dem, he made a deep red state competitive, he raises a fuck load of money, he’s already put out an ad better than I can remember seeing since Obama, he has no real baggage, and he’s a fresh face.

It’s a bigger indictment of a weak Dem field that he’s going to come in and dominate (IMO). Even if he loses the primary he’s already been silently anointed by Obama and there’s going to be immense pressure to put him on any ticket. The only reason he doesn’t make it as veep at least is if he turns down guaranteed general losers like Bloomberg, Booker, or Warren.

He’s by far the most charismatic dem, he made a deep red state competitive, he raises a fuck load of money, he’s already put out an ad better than I can remember seeing since Obama, he has no real baggage, and he’s a fresh face.

It’s a bigger indictment of a weak Dem field that he’s going to come in and dominate (IMO). Even if he loses the primary he’s already been silently anointed by Obama and there’s going to be immense pressure to put him on any ticket. The only reason he doesn’t make it as veep at least is if he turns down guaranteed general losers like Bloomberg, Booker, or Warren.

Plus his father-in-law can set up a $5Billion SuperPAC to spend on attacking Trump.

Yeah. I’m looking forward to the 2028 and future fields to see some of these 2018 winners emerge.

Okay, I'm open to it. And I like the geography as well. Anything other than someone from the NE.

Washington Governor Jay Inslee believes his focus on the environment will resonate with voters.

It won't

ron-howard-tall-1536x864.jpg

1. Beto O'Rourke. Cost: 19 cents. Verdict: Sell.

O'Rourke is pretty clearly trying to follow the Obama formula of disguising a record of milquetoast centrist liberalism with vague soaring rhetoric. It seems likely to me that this won't work nearly as well as it did in 2008, as lefties have gotten highly suspicious about that kind of bait and switch.

Experience is also an issue. Obama was criticized for only having four years in the Senate before jumping straight into the presidency, while O'Rourke has only been in the House (if elected in 2020, he would be the only former representative to do so since James Garfield). He's also managed to get himself involved in the first bitter media squabble of the primary, thanks to his partisans. They spotted a few Beto-skeptical articles and tweets and immediately leaped to hysterical conspiracy theories about Bernie partisans plotting to take Beto down.

On the other hand, rhetorical charisma is in short supply in this field, and Beto's record isn't that bad. And negative polarization is a big wild card in today's politics. If centrists can talk themselves into the idea that Beto is the victim of a Bernie Bro conspiracy, then they might just unite around him in a classic defensive overreaction. He definitely could win — he's just not anywhere near first place.

JCarolinafan weeps

I enjoyed the paragraph on Hillary Clinton - just a LOL. Disagree with the author that Booker should be a hold, and Warren and Gillibrand should be buys. Booker is dead in the water, and Warren and Gillibrand are 2 of the potential candidates who the Pubs would love to run against. Also his dark horses are completely unrealistic. Zuckerberg? If there is anyone left in the country who doesn't already hate him, they need to watch the 2 part Frontline episodes on Facebook. Being complicit with a genocide probably wouldn't hurt Trump in the Pub primary, but I'd like to think it would still hurt a candidate in the Dem primary.

Once again, I would take the field over anybody mentioned in that article.

I keep seeing tweets from feminists calling people out as misogynist because they don't think certain female politicians would be good presidential candidates.

They keep backing the most unlikable women. First Hillary now pocahontas.

They keep backing the most unlikable women. First Hillary now pocahontas.

Why is Elizabeth Warren unlikeable? She is many things, but I’m not sure that unlikeable is one of them.

Who - among female prospective nominees - on the left would you consider likable? Why do you find them likable?

I don’t like Warren’s voice and she wears glasses 100% of the time. Next.

Some of these liberal female commenters just seem to be working from the false narrative that male presidential candidates are judged solely on their policy positions and that women aren't afforded the same courtesy.

Sure seems like a whole lot of "we're totally fine with a woman, just not *this* woman," for every female candidate.

Sure seems like a whole lot of "we're totally fine with a woman, just not *this* woman," for every female candidate.

Yeah, just two years after watching Hillary Clinton lose.

Hillary, the unlikeable candidate who received more votes than any President in history other than Obama and who would be President if our electoral system wasn't trash.

I don't understand why people think EW is unlikeable, but the misogyny runs deeps with mouthbreathers like Pinocha.

Back