• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I'd like to put TX in there, but Beto couldn't even beat the most hated asshole in the Senate. It would be great to win TX and I really like Castro. In 2016, I thought he'd have been a much better choice for VP than Kaine.

If the Democratic presidential candidate makes a strong run in TX (some polls have shown Biden actually leading Trump there, other polls have shown Biden and some other potential Dem candidates to be competitive) that might make a difference down the ticket. I'll admit it's a long shot, but the Democrats have definitely made real gains there in the last several years.

The frustrating thing is that the election is there for the taking, imo. I think Trump definitely has a ceiling on his level of support, as the polls have consistently shown since he took office. I don't think he's going to get much more, if any, of the 46% of the popular vote he got last time. He still has a good chance of winning a second term due to two things: the current GOP tilt in the Electoral College, which gives smaller red states an outsized influence, and the Democrats proven ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. This is not a particularly strong Dem field (I don't see an Obama or Bill Clinton type superstar in the bunch, although admittedly it's still fairly early) and they could easily blow it, in spite of all of Trump's vulnerabilities. If they do, there needs to be hell to pay for the party leadership in Congress, the DNC, and elsewhere in 2021.

Bill Clinton was not a superstar by any stretch of the imagination at this point in his first race.

AL is a def loss for Dems barring Roy Moore being the GOP nominee
AZ will be a pick up with Mark Kelly

CO is a toss up it would be nice if Hickenlooper ran
GA could be in play if Stacey Adams isn't VP nominee
ME Collins is in trouble. People are pissed at her voting to kill ACA.
MT could be in play if Bullock or Mayor Collins of Helena runs against this whack job.
NC who is running against Tillis?

KY could be in play if the Dems spend enough money but that's really tough
IA Ernst should win unless they get a tough candidate
TN could be in play if the old governor runs

It will take some luck or the beginnings of a recession. But it's doable.

Stacey Abrams is not running for senate. She could definitely give Perdue a run for his money, but she’s not running, regardless of whether she is the VP nominee (I also don’t think she wants VP, but I don’t have any direct inside baseball accounts for that).

Can everyone calm down on Stacey Abrams for a minute? She was a solid GA governor candidate and could have won if not for some shenanigans, but she’s being put up as some sort of Democratic superstar. I don’t get it, she would be a terrible VP pick and I don’t think even a good Senate candidate. Let her do her thing in GA and build that apparatus. Then let’s see where we are after that.

It's not #nowwecant, #whytry. It's #fightharder, #bebold, #saveamerica. The problem that I see is Democrats are largely using the same, tired playbook. I liked Buttigieg's idea of reclaiming the patriotic language the Republicans have held captive, but after the initial rollout, I haven't heard about it since.

Last I looked his Issues page is organized by those themes.

One election isn’t going to do the job even if the Dems win back Congress. The courts are in Republican control. Media is broken. Democracy is broken. Whoever wins is in charge of fixing it and there will still be a large portion of the electorate who are either unreliable participants in democracy or will do everything in their power to stop any positive change.

I’m just not sure if we can even have a functioning democracy in these circumstances.

Pete is the only Democrat willing to change the structure of our government to fix the damage Republicans have done. Meanwhile Republicans have been bending the fundamentals of government to their will for decades.

Last edited:
Can everyone calm down on Stacey Abrams for a minute? She was a solid GA governor candidate and could have won if not for some shenanigans, but she’s being put up as some sort of Democratic superstar. I don’t get it, she would be a terrible VP pick and I don’t think even a good Senate candidate. Let her do her thing in GA and build that apparatus. Then let’s see where we are after that.

Why would she be a terrible VP pick? She had about ten years in the GA Assembly, a good legal background and stands strongly for what she believes.

As a Senator, she could bring out the vote bigger than ever due to getting screwed the last time.

Why don't you think she would be a good Senate candidate? I think she is one of the only Dems in Georgia who would have a real shot at taking out Perdue.

This Stacy Abrams VP discussion is ridiculous. Sarah Palin was vastly more qualified.

lol. imagine believing this.

Who are the other candidates that are for ending the filibuster, changing the composition of the Supreme Court, getting rid of the Electoral College, and openly speaking up against seeking bipartisan compromise?

The rest of the Dems except maybe Warren believe getting elected will fix everything.

This Stacy Abrams VP discussion is ridiculous. Sarah Palin was vastly more qualified.

Plenty of governors and Senators and House reps are more “qualified” to be VP but they don’t have a following outside their district would have no support.

Last edited:
Why don't you think she would be a good Senate candidate? I think she is one of the only Dems in Georgia who would have a real shot at taking out Perdue.

Presidential election year in a solid red state (it is getting more purple, but it’s not a tossup like some have portrayed it) where voter turnout will be high is a tough sell for anyone. We saw it in 2018 in TX (voted identically to GA every presidential election since 1992) where even with all the factors going in Beto’s favor, it wasn’t enough. The most recent polling I’ve seen was April, but had Perdue above water in favorability and actually more favorable than Abrams.

My initial opinion might have been harsh on Abrams, she would be a solid Senate candidate in GA and if she’s the best Dems can do then run her. It’s just an incredibly tough race to put Abrams through with nothing more than her time in the GA Assembly vs a Senate incumbent. I stand by that she would be a bad VP pick.

Plenty of governors and Senators and House reps are more “qualified” to be VP but they don’t have a following outside their district would have no support.

So, she's like Trump. Great.

So, she's like Trump. Great.

Palin was actually like Trump and she looked like an amazing VP pick on paper.

I think your logic is pretty poor here. You’re saying she’s a poor VP pick because she’s not a Senator or Governor in a state where you admit it would be hard for her to win a statewide election even though she narrowly lost a statewide election by 55,000 votes.

That logic basically only makes that case for blue state Dems to ascend to higher office when the lack of prominent red state Dems is a huge problem.

Palin was actually like Trump and she looked like an amazing VP pick on paper.

I think your logic is pretty poor here. You’re saying she’s a poor VP pick because she’s not a Senator or Governor in a state where you admit it would be hard for her to win a statewide election even though she narrowly lost a statewide election by 55,000 votes.

That logic basically only makes that case for blue state Dems to ascend to higher office when the lack of prominent red state Dems is a huge problem.

When did I admit that ?

She nearly won and that would have been great for her, my native state, and the US Senate.

Doesn't really matter though. Biden isn't going to pick Abrams anyway.

Back