• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Bernie rolls out a Housing for All plan: https://berniesanders.com/issues/housing-all/

I think this is a key issue where Bernie is much more progressive than Warren

Bernie calls for an expansion of public housing through increased public housing stock, housing vouchers, and public land trusts

Warren's plan looks to increase public resources into the private affordable housing market

to me, housing is the biggest issue that doesn't get sufficient attention -- the average American spends 37% of their take-home pay on housing

If Dems win the WH and Senate, they need to pass two laws. First, the statute of limitations for crimes committed by any POTUS before and during their time in office should be stopped until they are out of office. There needs to be a law that puts civil and criminal punishments for breaking the national and international emoluments.

Bernie rolls out a Housing for All plan: https://berniesanders.com/issues/housing-all/

I think this is a key issue where Bernie is much more progressive than Warren

Bernie calls for an expansion of public housing through increased public housing stock, housing vouchers, and public land trusts

Warren's plan looks to increase public resources into the private affordable housing market

to me, housing is the biggest issue that doesn't get sufficient attention -- the average American spends 37% of their take-home pay on housing

TITCR

This is probably the best housing plan that I’ve ever seen from a politician, fwiw.

TITCR

This is probably the best housing plan that I’ve ever seen from a politician, fwiw.

Yeah. It covers a lot of issues.

By the way, going to see your boy Matthew Desmond speak today.

The rent control stuff seems bad, but the rest seems good. Definitely need a ton of investment in new housing and fixing old stock, lead abatement, decarbonization, etc.

That all sounds good. It's kinda like a fifth grader saying he/she will end pop quizzes, expand recess and have pizza for lunch every day.

Where's the money coming from?

The rent control stuff seems bad, but the rest seems good. Definitely need a ton of investment in new housing and fixing old stock, lead abatement, decarbonization, etc.

I think you've spoken out against rent control before

is it a general supply-demand thing for you?

I think you've spoken out against rent control before

is it a general supply-demand thing for you?

Not sure I've talked about it before, and I'm certainly no expert. But my understanding is that the data suggest that rent control policies have largely failed. For example, in San Francisco it seems to have actually raised costs and decreased housing stock. https://www.aeaweb.org/articles?id=10.1257/aer.20181289

It seems like the much better solution to the housing crisis is a huge investment in low and middle income housing. The NIMBY bullshit has to stop.

Edited to add, need to get rid of all the terrible exclusionary zoning policies that are currently stopping builders from building now, too.

Last edited:
In LA, almost every residential project that gets proposed ends up getting a lawsuit filed against it in an extortion attempt which either delays it for multiple years or adds to the cost of the project. Someone simply has to claim that they haven't fully explored the environmental impact. The people filing the lawsuit simply want a payment to go away, its absurd.

we're starting to do work in California -- it's a whole different animal

CA has a state law that prevents public funds for low-income housing from being used on more than 49% of units in a development without a ballot measure

there are workarounds, but it's a pretty discriminatory law that impedes affordable housing development, and even more so, public housing

Not sure I've talked about it before, and I'm certainly no expert. But my understanding is that the data suggest that rent control policies have largely failed. For example, in San Francisco it seems to have actually raised costs and decreased housing stock. https://www.aeaweb.org/articles?id=10.1257/aer.20181289

It seems like the much better solution to the housing crisis is a huge investment in low and middle income housing. The NIMBY bullshit has to stop.

Edited to add, need to get rid of all the terrible exclusionary zoning policies that are currently stopping builders from building now, too.

Rent control from Hollywood to Santa Monica has a glaring hole. If a building is sold and the new owners do "rehab", rent control can go out the window. A perfect example of that was the building where I lived in Beverly Hills. when I moved to OC, I gave that place to a friend. The rent for a really nice 1 BR was $1200. The estate that owned the building sold it. The new owner did "rehab" (that sucked and make the units not as good). During the construction, the tenants were given stipends to find quarters. When it was finished, they were informed the new rents would start at $3500.

Juice, how long have you been in CA?

In LA, almost every residential project that gets proposed ends up getting a lawsuit filed against it in an extortion attempt which either delays it for multiple years or adds to the cost of the project. Someone simply has to claim that they haven't fully explored the environmental impact. The people filing the lawsuit simply want a payment to go away, its absurd.

i've seen true detective season 2

So, the the paper that you cited is based on one hell of an assumption. Because of the Costa Hawkins Act (1995), there has not been any new rent stabilized housing stock added in California in over 20 years. The Ellis Act (1985) makes it fairly easy for landlords in rent controlled jurisdictions to pull protected units off of the rental market. I find it hard to believe that rent control raises costs; it's more likely that the loss of affordable housing stock to the non-rental market, the incredibly high costs of building affordable housing in California, the relative lack of land in San Francisco, and institutional barriers to building have raised costs in SF.

In general, the "consensus" research from economics that proves rent control doesn't work, or causes gentrification, or is generally a bad thing is a lot less consensus than one might think. For example, the paper that you cite actually shows that rent control might be the only thing that has kept low income and elder San Francisco tenants in San Francisco!

Anti-rent control proponents usually position rent control as "the" solution to the housing crisis, as if it is an either/or proposition. In my mind, coupling rent control (tenant protections) with supply-side reforms (e.g., abolishing exclusionary zoning, upzoning SFH-zoned neighborhoods, etc.) is the only way to fix the housing crisis. I'm a "both/and" guy who thinks that you should use all tools at your disposal operating at multiple policy time horizons to fix a crisis of this magnitude.

Back