• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Beto should probably be the VP nominee regardless of the head of the ticket. Maybe Biden/Beto but Gillibrand/Beto would be a very solid ticket. That Kennedy kid would also be a good VP nominee but he’s less well known now.

Hillary got 3.87M votes in Texas (43.2%).
Beto got 4.02M votes in Texas (48.3%).

Doesn’t take much logic to see a candidate who can be competitive in TX and who already has a national fundraising operation would be very competitive in a primary and general election. 48% in TX gets you 50+ in MI, WI, and PA.

Yup. I heard somewhere that if Beto performed as well nationwide with independents as he did in Texas he would win 330+ electoral votes.

I think I’d still prefer him as a VP candidate to Harris or Klobuchar.

Kasich can run (and eat) all he likes. Trump is still beloved by an overwhelming majority of Pubs. And with the war chest he's building up, ain't no Pubs gonna get anywhere near him in a primary. This is the party of Trump.

For the Dems it's murky. I have 2 big fears. First, if Bernie runs and Warren doesn't, he could siphon off a lot of convention delegates early in the process while the other 10+ candidates beat the crap out of each other. Second, fucking Hillary could run. Mark Penn floated that as a trial balloon the other day. Just having Hillary in the field would be a disaster of epic proportions. Some party elders need to sit her ass down and inform her she's done, and all she'd do is hurt the party. It's also increasingly sounding like Biden will run. A 1 term Biden with a rising star as veep may be the best thing for party unity. If it's not Biden, I'm favoring a western governor like Hickenlooper or Inslee (Bullock is too dry) over the senators. And I hate to say it, but geography also matters. With the possible exception of maybe Moulton, we need to avoid a northeasterner. (And when I googled Seth Moulton, after typing in Seth, Moulton wasn't 1 of the enumerated choices.) So I guess gimme Biden, Hickenlooper or Inslee with Harris, Moulton or Brown as veep.

Hillary is a party elder. The other party elders are clueless and think she helps the party.

Hillary is a party elder. The other party elders are clueless and think she helps the party.

She is a party elder. But I believe you exaggerate in your 2nd sentence. I think most Dem operatives, including the Obamas, understand that she is toxic in a general election given how poorly 2016 went. The question is will they stand up to the Clintons, and I don't have an answer to that question. But I will add that the Clintons were not invited on the midterm campaign trail by many Dem candidates. That should be a clue to both the party and the Clintons, but then again the Clintons' egos tend to get in the way of obvious observations.

Big money Dem donors understand that Hillary's arrogance, laziness and incompetence gave Trump the election and wasted their money. They won't do the same again.

I'm always surprised how every election cycle the list of candidates seems to get worse. Its getting harder to determine if I have more apathy for presidential elections or Wake Forest basketball. The Dems run their party like Ron Wellman runs a flagship program, ostracizing their base and playing to a select few supporters with no real chance of winning.

We don't even know who candidates will be. Settle down.

i would agree except bill clinton and obama excited people quite a bit. it was pretty lame that Hillary was anointed so early

I'm always surprised how every election cycle the list of candidates seems to get worse. Its getting harder to determine if I have more apathy for presidential elections or Wake Forest basketball. The Dems run their party like Ron Wellman runs a flagship program, ostracizing their base and playing to a select few supporters with no real chance of winning.

I think Beto/Biden or Biden/Beto is a ticket the Democratic Party should be super excited about. They would win big and could help unite the country. Dems will fuck it up and go Harris/Sanders or something idiotic, allowing some moderate third party candidate to siphon off enough centrist votes to give Trump the win.

She is a party elder. But I believe you exaggerate in your 2nd sentence. I think most Dem operatives, including the Obamas, understand that she is toxic in a general election given how poorly 2016 went. The question is will they stand up to the Clintons, and I don't have an answer to that question. But I will add that the Clintons were not invited on the midterm campaign trail by many Dem candidates. That should be a clue to both the party and the Clintons, but then again the Clintons' egos tend to get in the way of obvious observations.

Hillary was the heavy favorite in both 2008 and 2016, and she blew it both times. Obama wasn't nearly as well-known as Hillary was at the start of the 2008 Democratic primaries, and yet he beat her. Then in 2016 she ran a terrible fall campaign and lost to Trump, in part because she took states like PA, MI, and WI for granted, and didn't visit them much until the last week or so, when it became clear that she was in trouble in those states. I don't think she'll run again because she knows she would lose, but even if she did try again, I don't see the Democrats taking a chance on her for a second time, not against Trump. I don't think she could win the Democratic nomination in 2020 even against weak Democratic opposition.

I think Beto/Biden or Biden/Beto is a ticket the Democratic Party should be super excited about. They would win big and could help unite the country. Dems will fuck it up and go Harris/Sanders or something idiotic, allowing some moderate third party candidate to siphon off enough centrist votes to give Trump the win.

I agree with this in terms of Biden and and a younger candidate. If Biden would announce that he would serve for just one term, and had a dynamic younger running mate like Beto, I could see that ticket winning. Whether the Dems will do it, who knows. As ph said, it's still a long way to 2020.

I think people are really misreading the country if they think Americans, especially Democrats, want to see 74 year old incumbent and 77 year old career politician running against each other for President.

In no universe would Biden ever be VP again.

I don't think Hillary should run -- simply because she lost last time and someone else should get the chane. But I am tired of the BS narrative that she blew it. Of course she made mistakes (like not heading to the midwest at the end), but she lost because a) she is a woman; 2) she was unfairly lied about and denigrated by the right wing smear maching for 25 years and 3) racist rubes were getting payback for having to deal with a black guy being in office for 8 years.

It's crazy to me that we place more blame on her instead of the shitty Americans who voted for Trump or didn't vote for her. It's also crazy to me that we see this narrative from posters on the left on this board, but they are men who also denigrate Pelosi or provide lukewarm/begrudging support to Warren or Gillibrand.

I like Biden a lot, but the idea that the best ticket is old white guy and new white guy who just lost to old white guy is just too perfect.

Back