• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Yup. Should help clarify things for Chris who’s Bernie-broing this thread for some reason

It's just typical class solidarity nonsense from ChrisL. It's Ellen being friends with George W. Sure he doesn't believe you should be allowed to get married, and he did a decade's worth of war crimes, but you go to the same country club.

Chris hated Bernie and barely tolerates but mostly hates Warren because they're suggesting the ultrarich deserve a haircut and he's a liberal that doesn't want his taxes to go up. He'd just prefer the Biden "nothing will change" approach.

So some conservatism site puts out information that basically confirms Warren's telling of the story and they think it's evidence she was lying. Somehow they can't seem to understand that in 1971, conservatives had so much control over women's bodies that they barred them from working while pregnant.

Can you please add some nuance to this? In 2007, she said "I don't think this is going to work out for me.' I was pregnant with my first baby, so I had a baby and stayed home for a couple of years.""

About what she said in 2007-- "After becoming a public figure I opened up more about different pieces in my life and this was one of them. I wrote about it in my book when I became a U.S. Senator," she said in a statement from her campaign.

I see nothing about a 2012 statement, but see Fox News latching on to this statement as being different than what she is saying now: "I was visibly pregnant. And back in the day, that meant that the principal said to me," Warren said, pausing, "wished me luck and hired someone else for the job." It's not different.

It seems very clear that it was understood and automatic that pregnant women did not keep their jobs after they were 5-6 months pregnant. This is not shocking news, but seems hard for older men to admit for some reason.

The board minutes are useless.
I think you need to tell that to townie, because he made the same point i did that her recollection of the event changed from 2007 to now. Jesus you people are insufferable.

I think you need to tell that to townie, because he made the same point i did that her recollection of the event changed from 2007 to now. Jesus you people are insufferable.

That was directed at Townie, that's why I quoted him in the post. Her recollection did not change. You people, huh? Who am I, Chris?

Last edited:
Love this headline. This is what happens when the incel crowd tries to talk shit about women's bodies.
[h=1]Elizabeth Warren's critics forgot: Pregnancy lasts for nine months[/h] [h=2]Warren skeptics say she lied about pregnancy discrimination. The timeline, and human biology, say otherwise[/h]
A breathless piece in the Washington Free Beacon, a right wing publication, cited minutes from an April 1971 school board meeting in which Warren was offered her job for another year. The anti-Warren social media world exploded with joy — they had her now!

But, as Vox journalist Emily Crockett pointed out on Twitter, it's "trivially easy" to reconcile these facts to Warren's story — if one remembers that pregnancy is a nine-month process. Warren was rehired at 4 months, before she was showing. Two months later, when she would have been visibly pregnant, is when she says she was pressured to leave. It's certainly not uncommon for employers to ask someone to resign rather than to fire them outright, especially in matters such as this.

It's sad to see LK wrapped up in this. The timeline shakes out. This is something about nothing. We already know that Republicans will lie and conduct fake investigations to cast doubt on Democrats will doing everything in their power to stonewall investigations into the truth about their own party.

It's just typical class solidarity nonsense from ChrisL. It's Ellen being friends with George W. Sure he doesn't believe you should be allowed to get married, and he did a decade's worth of war crimes, but you go to the same country club.

Chris hated Bernie and barely tolerates but mostly hates Warren because they're suggesting the ultrarich deserve a haircut and he's a liberal that doesn't want his taxes to go up. He'd just prefer the Biden "nothing will change" approach.

I dunno about that second part. There’s a pragmatism aspect that I think leads folks to incrementalism like Biden. I am probably closer to Chris policy-wise than most. I disagree with some of Warren’s ideas and also think she will not be able to implement a great deal of what she wants to do, particularly with a GOP senate. But I believe her convictions come from a genuine and truthful desire to help the average American such that whatever she’s able to accomplish will be positive. So if she makes it through she’ll have my vote. And my taxes should be raised back, that tax cut was a bullshit giveaway to the donor class.

LK and Chris -- that's the problem. People like them lend credence to and get distracted by the unsubstantiated attacks by right wing media about something irrelevant that happened 45 years ago, which then hits with the same force as our fucking treasonous President committing daily impeachable offenses. "Well, sure Trump and all, but that Warren also has credibility issues and I think we should examine them."

Last edited:
So that it's clear what I think about this, I believe her when she says she was fired for being pregnant. The only reason I wrote anything else is shoo suggested there's no evidence otherwise, so I just summarized the shaky evidence I've seen (along with saying there's no chance an administrator was going to actually document firings for pregnancy). If there's a difference in how she described things then and now and in between, I chalk that up to politics and storytelling, and it wouldn't bother me so much to learn it's embellishing.

I dunno about that second part. There’s a pragmatism aspect that I think leads folks to incrementalism like Biden. I am probably closer to Chris policy-wise than most. I disagree with some of Warren’s ideas and also think she will not be able to implement a great deal of what she wants to do, particularly with a GOP senate. But I believe her convictions come from a genuine and truthful desire to help the average American such that whatever she’s able to accomplish will be positive. So if she makes it through she’ll have my vote. And my taxes should be raised back, that tax cut was a bullshit giveaway to the donor class.

I can't square these two thoughts in my head.

And call it cynical or naive, depending on your political persuasion, but Biden's politics aren't pragmatic, they're mostly do-nothing, status quo nonsense. It's easy to be practical when you aren't trying to change anything.

Re: Warren pregnancy stuff

Who gives a fuck

You might be right. Then again it might be like beach bum deac said that she is conflating others experiences to make a political point, like many other politicians, including Joe Biden, have done. Even if that's the case, as i said, its minor. Just like it was minor when joe biden did it before you posted twitter outrage.

What is more sad is all quickly the claws come out here as soon as some dare to not toe the party line.

Last edited:
I’ll let him say it but I doubt Chris was pushing for tax cuts.

Fine on Biden, I’m not defending him

You might be right. Then again it might be like beach bum deac said that she is conflating others experiences to make a political point, like many other politicians, including Joe Biden, have done. Even if that's the case, as i said, its minor.

What is more sad is all quickly the claws come out here as soon as some dare to not toe the party line.

That's not it at all. You're just casting doubt to cast doubt. This is a nothing story. All the facts support the same narrative, a narrative she has shared.

You might be right. Then again it might be like beach bum deac said that she is conflating others experiences to make a political point, like many other politicians, including Joe Biden, have done. Even if that's the case, as i said, its minor. Just like it was minor when joe biden did it before you posted twitter outrage.

It's not the party line, it's lyin' about a candidate of the party you have already said you don't support (but, yeah, you would support her over the worst President in our nation's history, so there is that).

It's not the party line, it's lyin' about a candidate of the party you have already said you don't support (but, yeah, you would support her over the worst President in our nation's history, so there is that).

So is it a lie that she told this story in 2007 and omitted the fact that she was fired for being pregnant?

Full 2007 quote:

EFz77nKUcAAyPaV

Also lol at Chris comparing this to Biden mixing up what he had for breakfast with the crime bills he authored in the 80s and 90s. Biden can't make it through a day on the campaign trail without telling an incoherent story that's hard to source. That's different from parsing the extremely coherent narrative Warren weaves every day for half-truths.

Back