Page 413 of 468 FirstFirst ... 313363403408409410411412413414415416417418423463 ... LastLast
Results 8,241 to 8,260 of 9347

Thread: 2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

  1. #8241
    Scooter Banks

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    7,565
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    She is running for president. She is getting the same introspection as biden did when he claims that he met with someone when he was vp when it happened two years later.
    If you think these are the same, hmmm. I think you know better than to think a women running for President on the left is treated the same as a man.

  2. #8242
    Quote Originally Posted by 06deacon View Post
    Yup. Should help clarify things for Chris who’s Bernie-broing this thread for some reason
    It's just typical class solidarity nonsense from ChrisL. It's Ellen being friends with George W. Sure he doesn't believe you should be allowed to get married, and he did a decade's worth of war crimes, but you go to the same country club.

    Chris hated Bernie and barely tolerates but mostly hates Warren because they're suggesting the ultrarich deserve a haircut and he's a liberal that doesn't want his taxes to go up. He'd just prefer the Biden "nothing will change" approach.

  3. #8243
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104,956
    So some conservatism site puts out information that basically confirms Warren's telling of the story and they think it's evidence she was lying. Somehow they can't seem to understand that in 1971, conservatives had so much control over women's bodies that they barred them from working while pregnant.

  4. #8244
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooshmoo View Post
    Can you please add some nuance to this? In 2007, she said "I don't think this is going to work out for me.' I was pregnant with my first baby, so I had a baby and stayed home for a couple of years.""

    About what she said in 2007-- "After becoming a public figure I opened up more about different pieces in my life and this was one of them. I wrote about it in my book when I became a U.S. Senator," she said in a statement from her campaign.

    I see nothing about a 2012 statement, but see Fox News latching on to this statement as being different than what she is saying now: "I was visibly pregnant. And back in the day, that meant that the principal said to me," Warren said, pausing, "wished me luck and hired someone else for the job." It's not different.

    It seems very clear that it was understood and automatic that pregnant women did not keep their jobs after they were 5-6 months pregnant. This is not shocking news, but seems hard for older men to admit for some reason.

    The board minutes are useless.
    I think you need to tell that to townie, because he made the same point i did that her recollection of the event changed from 2007 to now. Jesus you people are insufferable.

  5. #8245
    Scooter Banks

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    7,565
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    I think you need to tell that to townie, because he made the same point i did that her recollection of the event changed from 2007 to now. Jesus you people are insufferable.
    That was directed at Townie, that's why I quoted him in the post. Her recollection did not change. You people, huh? Who am I, Chris?
    Last edited by Shooshmoo; 10-08-2019 at 03:33 PM.

  6. #8246
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104,956
    Love this headline. This is what happens when the incel crowd tries to talk shit about women's bodies.
    Elizabeth Warren's critics forgot: Pregnancy lasts for nine months

    Warren skeptics say she lied about pregnancy discrimination. The timeline, and human biology, say otherwise

    A breathless piece in the Washington Free Beacon, a right wing publication, cited minutes from an April 1971 school board meeting in which Warren was offered her job for another year. The anti-Warren social media world exploded with joy — they had her now!

    But, as Vox journalist Emily Crockett pointed out on Twitter, it's "trivially easy" to reconcile these facts to Warren's story — if one remembers that pregnancy is a nine-month process. Warren was rehired at 4 months, before she was showing. Two months later, when she would have been visibly pregnant, is when she says she was pressured to leave. It's certainly not uncommon for employers to ask someone to resign rather than to fire them outright, especially in matters such as this.
    It's sad to see LK wrapped up in this. The timeline shakes out. This is something about nothing. We already know that Republicans will lie and conduct fake investigations to cast doubt on Democrats will doing everything in their power to stonewall investigations into the truth about their own party.

  7. #8247
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    It's just typical class solidarity nonsense from ChrisL. It's Ellen being friends with George W. Sure he doesn't believe you should be allowed to get married, and he did a decade's worth of war crimes, but you go to the same country club.

    Chris hated Bernie and barely tolerates but mostly hates Warren because they're suggesting the ultrarich deserve a haircut and he's a liberal that doesn't want his taxes to go up. He'd just prefer the Biden "nothing will change" approach.
    I dunno about that second part. There’s a pragmatism aspect that I think leads folks to incrementalism like Biden. I am probably closer to Chris policy-wise than most. I disagree with some of Warren’s ideas and also think she will not be able to implement a great deal of what she wants to do, particularly with a GOP senate. But I believe her convictions come from a genuine and truthful desire to help the average American such that whatever she’s able to accomplish will be positive. So if she makes it through she’ll have my vote. And my taxes should be raised back, that tax cut was a bullshit giveaway to the donor class.

  8. #8248
    Scooter Banks

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    7,565
    LK and Chris -- that's the problem. People like them lend credence to and get distracted by the unsubstantiated attacks by right wing media about something irrelevant that happened 45 years ago, which then hits with the same force as our fucking treasonous President committing daily impeachable offenses. "Well, sure Trump and all, but that Warren also has credibility issues and I think we should examine them."
    Last edited by Shooshmoo; 10-08-2019 at 03:38 PM.

  9. #8249
    So that it's clear what I think about this, I believe her when she says she was fired for being pregnant. The only reason I wrote anything else is shoo suggested there's no evidence otherwise, so I just summarized the shaky evidence I've seen (along with saying there's no chance an administrator was going to actually document firings for pregnancy). If there's a difference in how she described things then and now and in between, I chalk that up to politics and storytelling, and it wouldn't bother me so much to learn it's embellishing.

  10. #8250
    Quote Originally Posted by 06deacon View Post
    I dunno about that second part. There’s a pragmatism aspect that I think leads folks to incrementalism like Biden. I am probably closer to Chris policy-wise than most. I disagree with some of Warren’s ideas and also think she will not be able to implement a great deal of what she wants to do, particularly with a GOP senate. But I believe her convictions come from a genuine and truthful desire to help the average American such that whatever she’s able to accomplish will be positive. So if she makes it through she’ll have my vote. And my taxes should be raised back, that tax cut was a bullshit giveaway to the donor class.
    I can't square these two thoughts in my head.

    And call it cynical or naive, depending on your political persuasion, but Biden's politics aren't pragmatic, they're mostly do-nothing, status quo nonsense. It's easy to be practical when you aren't trying to change anything.

  11. #8251
    Re: Warren pregnancy stuff

    Who gives a fuck
    Birds aren’t real

  12. #8252
    Donald Trump is the best thing to ever happen to GWB

  13. #8253
    You might be right. Then again it might be like beach bum deac said that she is conflating others experiences to make a political point, like many other politicians, including Joe Biden, have done. Even if that's the case, as i said, its minor. Just like it was minor when joe biden did it before you posted twitter outrage.

    What is more sad is all quickly the claws come out here as soon as some dare to not toe the party line.
    Last edited by ChrisL68; 10-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.

  14. #8254
    I’ll let him say it but I doubt Chris was pushing for tax cuts.

    Fine on Biden, I’m not defending him

  15. #8255
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104,956
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    You might be right. Then again it might be like beach bum deac said that she is conflating others experiences to make a political point, like many other politicians, including Joe Biden, have done. Even if that's the case, as i said, its minor.

    What is more sad is all quickly the claws come out here as soon as some dare to not toe the party line.
    That's not it at all. You're just casting doubt to cast doubt. This is a nothing story. All the facts support the same narrative, a narrative she has shared.

  16. #8256
    Scooter Banks

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    7,565
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    You might be right. Then again it might be like beach bum deac said that she is conflating others experiences to make a political point, like many other politicians, including Joe Biden, have done. Even if that's the case, as i said, its minor. Just like it was minor when joe biden did it before you posted twitter outrage.

    What is more sad is all quickly the claws come out here as soon as some dare to not toe the party line.
    It's not the party line, it's lyin' about a candidate of the party you have already said you don't support (but, yeah, you would support her over the worst President in our nation's history, so there is that).

  17. #8257
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    That's not it at all. You're just casting doubt to cast doubt. This is a nothing story. All the facts support the same narrative, a narrative she has shared.
    If all of the facts supported her narrative and she was consistent with how she told the story, then it wouldn't be a story.

    https://www.snopes.com/ap/2019/10/08...for-pregnancy/

  18. #8258
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooshmoo View Post
    It's not the party line, it's lyin' about a candidate of the party you have already said you don't support (but, yeah, you would support her over the worst President in our nation's history, so there is that).
    So is it a lie that she told this story in 2007 and omitted the fact that she was fired for being pregnant?

  19. #8259
    Full 2007 quote:


  20. #8260
    Scooter Banks

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    7,565
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    If all of the facts supported her narrative and she was consistent with how she told the story, then it wouldn't be a story.

    https://www.snopes.com/ap/2019/10/08...for-pregnancy/
    It's a story because you were baited -- it's a story because the right wing made it a story by baiting rubes. That link adds nothing, by the way.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •