Page 413 of 503 FirstFirst ... 313363403408409410411412413414415416417418423463 ... LastLast
Results 8,241 to 8,260 of 10051

Thread: 2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

So that it's clear what I think about this, I believe her when she says she was fired for being pregnant. The only reason I wrote anything else is shoo suggested there's no evidence otherwise, so I just summarized the shaky evidence I've seen (along with saying there's no chance an administrator was going to actually document firings for pregnancy). If there's a difference in how she described things then and now and in between, I chalk that up to politics and storytelling, and it wouldn't bother me so much to learn it's embellishing.

Quote Originally Posted by 06deacon View Post
    I dunno about that second part. There’s a pragmatism aspect that I think leads folks to incrementalism like Biden. I am probably closer to Chris policy-wise than most. I disagree with some of Warren’s ideas and also think she will not be able to implement a great deal of what she wants to do, particularly with a GOP senate. But I believe her convictions come from a genuine and truthful desire to help the average American such that whatever she’s able to accomplish will be positive. So if she makes it through she’ll have my vote. And my taxes should be raised back, that tax cut was a bullshit giveaway to the donor class.
    I can't square these two thoughts in my head.

And call it cynical or naive, depending on your political persuasion, but Biden's politics aren't pragmatic, they're mostly do-nothing, status quo nonsense. It's easy to be practical when you aren't trying to change anything.

Re: Warren pregnancy stuff

Who gives a fuck
    Birds aren’t real

Donald Trump is the best thing to ever happen to GWB

You might be right. Then again it might be like beach bum deac said that she is conflating others experiences to make a political point, like many other politicians, including Joe Biden, have done. Even if that's the case, as i said, its minor. Just like it was minor when joe biden did it before you posted twitter outrage.

What is more sad is all quickly the claws come out here as soon as some dare to not toe the party line.
    Last edited by ChrisL68; 10-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.

I’ll let him say it but I doubt Chris was pushing for tax cuts.

Fine on Biden, I’m not defending him

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    You might be right. Then again it might be like beach bum deac said that she is conflating others experiences to make a political point, like many other politicians, including Joe Biden, have done. Even if that's the case, as i said, its minor.

What is more sad is all quickly the claws come out here as soon as some dare to not toe the party line.
    That's not it at all. You're just casting doubt to cast doubt. This is a nothing story. All the facts support the same narrative, a narrative she has shared.

Scooter Banks

You might be right. Then again it might be like beach bum deac said that she is conflating others experiences to make a political point, like many other politicians, including Joe Biden, have done. Even if that's the case, as i said, its minor. Just like it was minor when joe biden did it before you posted twitter outrage.

It's not the party line, it's lyin' about a candidate of the party you have already said you don't support (but, yeah, you would support her over the worst President in our nation's history, so there is that).

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    That's not it at all. You're just casting doubt to cast doubt. This is a nothing story. All the facts support the same narrative, a narrative she has shared.
    If all of the facts supported her narrative and she was consistent with how she told the story, then it wouldn't be a story.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2019/10/08...for-pregnancy/

Quote Originally Posted by Shooshmoo View Post
    It's not the party line, it's lyin' about a candidate of the party you have already said you don't support (but, yeah, you would support her over the worst President in our nation's history, so there is that).
    So is it a lie that she told this story in 2007 and omitted the fact that she was fired for being pregnant?

Full 2007 quote:

Scooter Banks

If all of the facts supported her narrative and she was consistent with how she told the story, then it wouldn't be a story.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2019/10/08...for-pregnancy/
    It's a story because you were baited -- it's a story because the right wing made it a story by baiting rubes. That link adds nothing, by the way.

Also lol at Chris comparing this to Biden mixing up what he had for breakfast with the crime bills he authored in the 80s and 90s. Biden can't make it through a day on the campaign trail without telling an incoherent story that's hard to source. That's different from parsing the extremely coherent narrative Warren weaves every day for half-truths.

Could be a lie of omission, could be an intentional lie now, could just be that she didn't bring it up at all in 2007, could be that she knew about it in 2007 but didn't want to bring it up.

Could be anything. All I know is it was 50 fucking years ago.

Scooter Banks

So is it a lie that she told this story in 2007 and omitted the fact that she was fired for being pregnant?
    She explained why she said what she did. It is not an easy thing to either allege that you were discriminated against/accuse someone of discrmination. She probably didn't feel like that interview was an appropriate time to open that can of worms.

By the way " I don't think this is going to work out for me" can be taken in a couple of different ways.

Maybe just maybe the people running for office shouldn’t be so damn old and then they wouldn’t need to recall things from 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeforest22890 View Post
    Could be a lie of omission, could be an intentional lie now, could just be that she didn't bring it up at all in 2007, could be that she knew about it in 2007 but didn't want to bring it up.

Could be anything. All I know is it was 50 fucking years ago.
    Again, as I said, even if you take the worst possible explanation, then it still isn't really a big deal.

Apparently, this wasn't good enough to avoid progressive outrage.

THE quintessential dwarf palmab03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    yeah it's 2&2

also, I'm pretty sure plama has expressed support for the general theory of "pregnant women are less than peak-efficient employees"
    Have an employee now that was scheduled to come back after an early April delivery that just asked for another 6 weeks to bond, so we're forced to bring on temps that we pay 70% more for. It can be true and 2019 at the same time. Gotta deal with it.
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

4 months off where i am a consultant and another 8 months partial pay part time if requested. Great perk but tough to schedule around in a deadline based operation.

Again, as I said, even if you take the worst possible explanation, then it still isn't really a big deal.

Apparently, this wasn't good enough to avoid progressive outrage.
    telling here that chris is finger pointing to the left instead of the right