Page 421 of 503 FirstFirst ... 321371411416417418419420421422423424425426431471 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,420 of 10051

Thread: 2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Expanding Mod Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    I do have to admit I'm curious what happened to brunette Elizabeth Warren.
    She was too mousey as a brunette.

Also, too shrill.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Now that Trump has brought them into the political arena, my ticket for 2020 is Pop/Kerr!!!

Besides each being brilliant and informed, think of how much fun their press conferences would be.

Quote Originally Posted by avalon View Post
    RT & Fox will play this up.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I feel like Tulsi is being groomed to be the Jill Stein of the race who can siphon off enough Bernie supporters to give Trump a victory in the swing states.

The Doomsday scenario is if Bernie exits for health reasons and endorses Tulsi and Tulsi loses and mounds a third party run.
    Last edited by PhDeac; 10-10-2019 at 12:56 PM.

In what universe would Bernie ever endorse Tulsi

In what universe would Tulsi have a chance?

Tulsi's definitely trying to rile up the anger from the Bernie fans. The problem is that Bernie is also in the race, and is a front runner.

I feel like her most likely role is as Biden's VP candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    In what universe would Bernie ever endorse Tulsi
    It's a doomsday scenario. I think he'll be in the race longer than she is but if his health goes bad, there will be pressure on him to endorse even if any endorsement will just piss off a segment of his base.

No way in hell is Tulsi Biden's VP.

She brings nothing to the ticket for Biden. I don't see her being considered for that slot at all.

It's a doomsday scenario. I think he'll be in the race longer than she is but if his health goes bad, there will be pressure on him to endorse even if any endorsement will just piss off a segment of his base.

I don't see a world where Sanders drops out and endorses anyone other than Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by avalon View Post
    Got to love Bernie.

This doomsday scenario is somewhere between implausible and offensive. Bernie Sanders is many things, but he's not the kind of person or politician who lacks character, foresight, and a broader commitment to "good." He'll endorse Warren or Biden, just like he did Clinton last time. How do we know that? Well, because that's what happened last time.

You're quietly going down the Nate Silver path of using the fact that technically any outcomes has a non-zero chance of happening as an opportunity to smear Sanders. Yes, Ph - a shirtless Bernie Sanders riding a pterodactyl could decide that life is meaningless, drop out of the race, and endorse Tulsi Gabbard while maniacally screaming invectives about Liz Warren as he flies off into the sunset.

Are there any other ridiculous scenarios that we should discuss?
    We're going to be good again.

His support of Hillary was late and half-assed.

Yeah, I don't see Tulsi as Biden's veep, nor do I see Bernie endorsing her. She is too much of a lone wolf and not enough of a team player to get considered by anyone for veep. If Biden were to get the nomination, Klobuchar, Buttigieg or Abrams make a lot more sense. If Warren were to get the nomination, Buttigieg, Booker or Inslee would make sense.

Warren/Inslee is about as close to a dream ticket for me as there could be (in the realm of the realistic). cville, do you like that ticket? Electability? How does it do in the EC?

Inslee will be an easy cabinet choice.

Who knows who Bernie would endorse if he has to drop out some time this year. I think it's weird to assume he would endorse a front-runner because he endorsed Hillary last year after dropping out of a two-person primary.

I know it's still early, and foolish to make predictions, but that hasn't stopped us for the previous 420 pages.

My thinking is that it's becoming increasingly more clear the party is coalescing support around Warren. Clearly the establishment and Clinton wing were never going to throw support to Bernie, but for the last several months it was not clear if they'd mostly be getting behind Biden or Harris or Warren or anyone else. The Tom Perez era has been marred with the stink of the Clinton failure. From agreeing to accept fossil fuel money to kicking Bernie supporters out of party leadership to endorsing Andrew Cuomo to favoring market-based solutions to climate change, the dude (and the establishment party) has not learned a thing from 2016. But the messaging that has remained popular since 2016 is largely Bernie's messaging, so even if the party is going to demonize Sanders and his supporters, they need to find someone electable that's the next best thing.

I recently heard a framing of contemporary American politics I'm sympathetic to.

On Bernie vs Warren and power:

Warren supporters are more educated, and their theory of power is largely meritocratic. To wit, her supporters seem to love that she has a plan for everything. For the educated middle/upper middle class, generally they've seen if you follow the rules you get ahead. That message also tends to resonate with media types, insiders, technocrats, establishment people (even if the politics don't line up, the theory of power does). Bernie's supporters are less educated, more working class and more aggrieved about power structures. They like the populist, grassroots, and frankly angry message that Bernie has. And Bernie by not courting more of the establishment vote alienates his supporters from the mainstream and alienates the mainstream from his voters. It makes it hard, even with a full-throated endorsement of another candidate (which IMO was extremely difficult to give in good faith in 2016) for his supporters to stay enthusiastic for another candidate. I do think though that even if the theory of power is different, the politics are more similar from Bernie to Warren than Bernie to Hillary, and for that reason and because Trump is a complete disaster and hasn't helped defector Bernie Bros at all, Bernie will eventually drop out and endorse Warren (assuming current trends continue and Bernie doesn't somehow pull it out).

For Warren, it depends what she's looking for. If we're in a recession, and she needs a truce with Wall St, Booker makes the most sense. If she were to want to make climate change 1 of her signature efforts (which I kinda doubt), Inslee would make sense. Given her age, if she wants to look for the next young gun with long term potential, Buttigieg makes sense. Of the 3, Inslee makes the least sense from an EC perspective. He doesn't help anything from a geographic perspective, nor would he help any with independents or never Trumper Pubs. I think Booker helps her the most with independents and never Trumper Pubs, Buttigieg after that. The reason I say Booker is we're probably heading into rocky economic waters. We're already in a manufacturing recession. Neither Wall St nor the banks care for Warren in the least, though she is at least much more tolerable than Sanders. Booker is a former Wall St guy who could help make Warren more tolerable to the financial industry, which could be a serious asset in helping her through a recession. And while Booker seems to be nobody's favorite Dem, it's not like he's despised by moderates or the far left. Add to that he's a good looking guy with a seriously hot girlfriend (would be hottest potential 1st girlfriend since Linda Ronstadt back in the day). I see Inslee more likely as Interior Secretary no matter the nominee. Same with Doug Jones as AG.

Rusty Larue
    Booker is a straight charlatan.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Not that hes provided any reasoning or data behind his claim, but Sailor is not wrong in the sense that the polls have an accuracy and prediction problem. They largely indicated a Clinton win in 2016 and many of us were over confident but in the end Trump weeks out a spatial victory. There is a good chance the polls still have a accuracy and prediction problem and it is easy to just believe they are wrong.
    The polls struggled at a state level but not nationally - the polls were within the margin of error for the final popular vote.