• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

it really is stupid that South Carolina plays such a pivotal role in determining which Democrat is the general election candidate

Buttigieg focus groups found being gay “a barrier” for nearly all South Carolina voters

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article236516903.html

fify

This has been my problem with Buttigieg. I like him by far the best of the viable candidates (top 5), but I have thought that he would have problems winning any southern states outside of maybe VA.

Biff, any reason why today is the day Klobuchar needs to go away?

Barca, it's not just SC. It's our entire fucking electoral system, beginning with a not so democratic caucus in 1 of our whitest states and ending with our electoral college. Add to that an election season that is now measured in years. By contrast, our European friends appear to manage their elections much better in a time span that is measured in a few months with way less money spent. But yeah, Murca and all.

it really is stupid that South Carolina plays such a pivotal role in determining which Democrat is the general election candidate

Are you uncomfortable letting black democrats have large voice for the general election candidate?

Are you uncomfortable letting black democrats have large voice for the general election candidate?

considering whoever wins the nomination probably won't do any campaigning in the state the second the primary is over, yeah I think South Carolina should go fuck itself. some other, better state should assert its dominance and schedule a primary ahead of SC.

Wasn't the consensus about Buttigieg being gay and electable that the people who wouldn't vote for him because of it aren't voting Democrat any way?

We need a national primary day. I think it would shorten the expanding period we're currently campaigning and would prevent any single states from disproportionately taking over the process.

fify

This has been my problem with Buttigieg. I like him by far the best of the viable candidates (top 5), but I have thought that he would have problems winning any southern states outside of maybe VA.

Biff, any reason why today is the day Klobuchar needs to go away?

Barca, it's not just SC. It's our entire fucking electoral system, beginning with a not so democratic caucus in 1 of our whitest states and ending with our electoral college. Add to that an election season that is now measured in years. By contrast, our European friends appear to manage their elections much better in a time span that is measured in a few months with way less money spent. But yeah, Murca and all.

That shouldn't be your problem with Buttigieg and that it is speaks volumes about your perspective. Was Obama's blackness a problem for you, too? Clinton's gender?

It wasn't because she was a woman, though. If you want to win elections, then you have to campaign. That's the pretty tried and true formula.

There are people who won't vote for a woman for President. I know some of them.

Some of these people are women themselves.

There are people who won't vote for a woman for President. I know some of them.

Some of these people are women themselves.

That's fine, but they're (still) not the reasons that Clinton lost. We shouldn't be nominating presidential candidates based on the opinions of the worst people we know.

That's fine, but they're (still) not the reasons that Clinton lost. We shouldn't be nominating presidential candidates based on the opinions of the worst people we know.

People keep saying little things aren't the reason Hillary lost.

She lost by

23,000 votes in Wisconsin
11,000 votes in Michigan
44,000 votes in Pennsylvania

The little things add up and do matter.

That shouldn't be your problem with Buttigieg and that it is speaks volumes about your perspective. Was Obama's blackness a problem for you, too? Clinton's gender?

Try to stop being an ass for 1 second. I don't care that he's gay, and as I've said, he is my current favorite candidate. But I do wonder if his being gay is going to affect his electability. My biggest concern in this entire process is that we nominate someone who can win because we have to win this election if we are going to salvage what is remaining of our republic. I similarly believe Warren will have a difficult time winning southern states because of her image as a feisty woman. Sucks that we have to consider such things, but yes, electability is always a factor in deciding who to vote for, and even more so than usual next year. As for Obama, no, that wasn't a concern. He was always more electable than Hillary - as the last 3 general elections have shown us.

Back