• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

People keep saying little things aren't the reason Hillary lost.

She lost by

23,000 votes in Wisconsin
11,000 votes in Michigan
44,000 votes in Pennsylvania

The little things add up and do matter.

Yes, they do. Little things like setting foot in MI & WI. And little things like Comey and her emails. But let's not ignore that her being an assertive female did not play a part as well. The right has hated her and eviscerated her ever since Bubba's 1st term when she wore pants suits, didn't cook and said things like co-presidency. Warren has faced and will face similar problems. But at least at this point, she appears to be running a smarter campaign than Clinton ran in 2008 or 2016.

part of me does buy their philosophy on pragmatism. There is a certain charisma in damning the torpedoes.

Just seems like the democrats can't ever quite get there. Warren and Bernard make the best plays

We need a national primary day. I think it would shorten the expanding period we're currently campaigning and would prevent any single states from disproportionately taking over the process.

I would say multiple primaries that serve as elimination rounds but yeah.

This Dem primary has been going on for over 10 months and most Dems aren’t even that engaged. Shorten the process and more people will be in from day 1.

This Dem primary has been going on for over 10 months and most Dems aren’t even that engaged. Shorten the process and more people will be in from day 1.

Agreed. Times have changed. It doesn't take 10 months to drive home a message anymore. Almost everyone has all the information they will need with a few strokes of the keyboard, if they want it.

no way, people are not going to go out to vote for 'multiple' primaries.

we need to shorten the process and switch to ranked-choice

I get pragmatism and “little things adding up” too...maybe if you’re running against someone like Kasich.

But it’s donald fucking trump. Corrupt, ignorant, boorish and treasonous. Like how many “little things” could possibly add up to reasonably outweigh the worst president ever?

part of me does buy their philosophy on pragmatism. There is a certain charisma in damning the torpedoes.

Just seems like the democrats can't ever quite get there. Warren and Bernard make the best plays

We kinda got there with McGovern and Mondale. Didn't exactly go well.

Castro said if he doesn't raise $800,000 by Halloween, he'll drop out of the race. I wonder if he'll run against Cornyn for Senate next year.

Try to stop being an ass for 1 second. I don't care that he's gay, and as I've said, he is my current favorite candidate. But I do wonder if his being gay is going to affect his electability. My biggest concern in this entire process is that we nominate someone who can win because we have to win this election if we are going to salvage what is remaining of our republic. I similarly believe Warren will have a difficult time winning southern states because of her image as a feisty woman. Sucks that we have to consider such things, but yes, electability is always a factor in deciding who to vote for, and even more so than usual next year. As for Obama, no, that wasn't a concern. He was always more electable than Hillary - as the last 3 general elections have shown us.

Hey, I wasn’t the one who said “my problem with Buttigieg is that he’s gay and homophobes won’t vote for him.” That’s a stupid problem to have, imo.

Electability is bullshit, regardless; run a great campaign, get elected.

no way, people are not going to go out to vote for 'multiple' primaries.

we need to shorten the process and switch to ranked-choice

Maybe in a first round but people won’t be satisfied with a large primary coming down to someone winning who got a few first place voters and a ton of third place voters.

I think three rounds would do it. Rank choice first round to narrow it to four if necessary. Then the next round narrows it to two. Third round winner. Primary ends when then winner gets over half the delegates or whatever we are counting.

Ahh yes living in fantasy world and not the real world. Running a great campaign won’t overcome certain realities like being a woman or being gay, it’s the world we live in. If the great campaign needed an increased turnout of 5% then the built in obstacle of being gay might mean running a super great campaign and needing 8% turnout.

Ahh yes living in fantasy world and not the real world. Running a great campaign won’t overcome certain realities like being a woman or being gay, it’s the world we live in. If the great campaign needed an increased turnout of 5% then the built in obstacle of being gay might mean running a super great campaign and needing 8% turnout.

Oh well. Let's just nominate a straight white guy. No way we lose then.

I mean Palma trolls but he’s right with things like people will vote for the better looking candidate that they would like to get a beer with. It’s like half of you havent learned that the American electorate is dumb, like really really dumb.

Oh well. Let's just nominate a straight white guy. No way we lose then.

Democrats are so weirdly conservative. The last two times the Democrats threw away the electability playbook, Barack Obama and Bill Clinton got elected. The last three times that the Democrats leaned heavily on electability we got Al Gore, John Kerry, and Hilary Clinton.

I’m just sick of folks on here dismissing non-heterosexual male candidates as unelectable. I don’t even like Pete and I thought that cville post was bullshit.

Political progress doesn’t happen by playing it safe and refusing to nominate types of people who have never won an election. Be the first. Canvas for the first. Phone bank for the first. Vote for the first. Quit sitting on your ass posting about how progress isn’t possible because you’re too lazy or scared to do something about it.

Or we could talk about it like grown ups

How would you recommend talking about electability like grown ups?

I’m sorry, but when I was a sophomore in college I became transfixed by this guy named Barack Obama who became the first black POTUS and I - and tens of thousands of others - worked my ass off on the phones and canvassing in ME, NC, and NY to get him elected. Lots of folks did the same. He got elected.

Something tells me folks would do the same for Warren, Buttigieg, etc. Inspire the people and they’ll work for you.

clinton was conservative as hell. what are you talking about?

Back