• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I haven't taken a penny from Social Security or Medicare.

District still won't answer whether loans people took out to start businesses to improve their earning power should have those loans 100% forgiven like he wants to have his student loans forgiven. People take out student loans to improve their earning power. Why shouldn't both be forgiven?

I don’t have student loans.

Are you going to refuse your benefits that you haven’t paid for?

I don’t have student loans.

Are you going to refuse your benefits that you haven’t paid for?

Part of insurance is some people get more. Some get less. Thus far in my life, I've gotten completely screwed in every form of insurance I've participated in. Do I get that money back?

If I get back the premiums (including fair market interest) I've paid and not gotten anything from, I'd be happy to refuse benefits once I've reached that total.

Why not make the cost of going to college equal to the earnings a part time job? Why not change the employment culture that uses college as a way ti weed out (minority) applicants?

You have to meet a certain life expetency to get more out of SS and Medicare than you pay in.

And business loan interest is deductible. Student loan interest should be too.

It seems like most of the complains about addressing student loan debt comes from people whose college education was so cheap and/or subsidized that either their parents could pay for it or they could work part time over the summer to pay for it with no debt. But somehow the worst thing in the world for be for younger people to have it as good as they did.

Boomers killed any national collectivism we had and now we can’t have anything that helps most Americans unless it also helps ourselves first.

Boomers killed any national collectivism we had and now we can’t have anything that helps most Americans unless it also helps ourselves first.

You're right all we did was pay for the generation before us and ourselves. Yes we did, because there were so many of us.

Again, why won't you or anyone of your era answer a simple question: Since the purpose of taking out college loans is to prepare one's self for a career of better earnings, would you support forgiving all the debts people incur to start businesses if the didn't go to college?

If not why? Why should your investment in your future be forgiven but the debt incurred by others for the same reason not be forgiven?

I’d settle for lifting the income cap on student loan interest deduction.

I'd have no problem with somehow fixing interest rates to be much lower or being able to lessen the balance by teaching in the inner city or rural areas, doing other public service or other remedies.

But a total forgiveness of student debt is wrong and would likely backfire on those who run for POTUS. Trump's coalition is mostly from the 70% that didn't go to college. It would give him a boogeyman to attack and could bring out huge numbers of people to vote against the elite who would get a giveaway.

Given all of the controversy swirling around her, I don't think a third-party run by her would be nearly as successful as Jill Stein's 2016 campaign was at taking votes away from Democrats. At this point the accusations against her (that she's a Russian plant) will make her unpalatable to Democrats, especially with Trump as the incumbent POTUS running for a second term, and not as the long-shot GOP candidate that most everyone thought would lose, as he was in 2016. If anything, she may take away more GOP votes than Democrats, as she seems to be more popular with Republicans and Fox News than she is among Democrats.

Back