• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Class warfare is already a reality. How do you think the obscene wealth disparity in this country happened? Just an accident?

I don’t feel personally very threatened by Warren - I am well off but I’m not gonna get hit directly by any wealth taxes anytime soon. I don’t think her economic plans - breaking up banks, going after big tech, the wealth tax, MFA, etc are sustainable or that those programs will be good for the country. In that sense, if the dems won both houses and Warren is POTUS, we could have real danger of class warfare, a struggling economy, and overarching plans with no way to pay for them.

I tend to think gridlock and bipartisan, slow progress is what has made the US great and is the only way to sustain it through the end of my kids’ lives and perhaps beyond. No doubt we will need major programs aimed at the environment, healthcare, dealing with automation and other technological advances.

I just don’t think the answer is to flip the switch in 2021 to simultaneously have the government take the lead on those issues while breaking up huge corporations. And yes, much of this analysis applies to Bernie as well.

Trump is a grave threat. And Warren or Bernie, particularly with a GOP controlled Senate, would be much preferred in my mind. I just am skeptical that either of them can be elected without a full sweep and then I think the “improvement” relative to Trump could be dramatically lessened. Warren and Bernie do not strike me as pragmatists and if they have no need to negotiate they certainly won’t. Probably makes them more noble than most politicians but also more dangerous.

Well just fucking vote for either one of them over trump. Jesus. Too afraid of quick change (that will probably not happen anyway)? This is Donald Trump we are talking about.

Who needs enemies like rubes when you have “friends” like these.

It’s Donald fucking trump who would probably start a war with a NATO ally and use nuclear weapons in his second term.

You think I agree with every plank of the Dem platform? Wealth tax? Etc? No way. But I’ll probably never vote GOP again in my lifetime.

Trump is a grave threat to this country and the effing world. Warren and Sanders have "dangerous ideas." Those ideas are so vewwy vewwy scawwey.

Trump is literally the worst person in the world. Any vote not for the Dem is supporting Trump.

I tend to think gridlock and bipartisan, slow progress is what has made the US great and is the only way to sustain it through the end of my kids’ lives and perhaps beyond. No doubt we will need major programs aimed at the environment, healthcare, dealing with automation and other technological advances.

Just wanted this one to not be lost, it will get buried by the overall awfulness of the rest of the post but it’s brilliant in its total brazen contradiction. Equal and opposing points that net to zero.

Trump is a grave threat to this country and the effing world. Warren and Sanders have "dangerous ideas." Those ideas are so vewwy vewwy scawwey.

They were scary to my family when they lived through the revolution Bernie is preaching.

What revolution is Bernie preaching that could remotely be compared to one that someone feels fortunate to have lived through?

I think you’re just jealous that someone else stole your hot take thunder for a sec.

Great bumper sticker idea

Elizabeth Warren: "It's not like any of my crazy plans will get passed anyway!"

Just wanted this one to not be lost, it will get buried by the overall awfulness of the rest of the post but it’s brilliant in its total brazen contradiction. Equal and opposing points that net to zero.

There is no contradiction there. We will need major programs. Perhaps government programs. Perhaps driven by market forces. Major government intervention in 2 years would likely harm the economy, and create a backlash that will further slow innovation/desire in these areas. When the timeline I propose is “end of my kids’ lives”, and they are 6 and 8, and you juxtapose that horizon with the government going all in in 2021, there is no contradiction.

I get we all hate Trump. I just think the better alternative is a Bloomberg or other centrist as opposed to Warren and/or Bernie. I also think a centrist candidate is more plausible. I could spout nonsense like “a vote for Bernie in the primary is a vote for Trump” (because I don’t think Bernie will beat Trump) but of course I understand that not to be the case. Anyway, lesson learned - this is why posting on the Tunnels makes little sense. Hyperbolic, immature reactions and mischaracterizations eliminate the ability to have decent discourse. I’ll go back to lurking now.

Well on one side there’s that and on the other side there’s a fucking dipshit trying to rob the country blind and drag the world economy down with him. How “never Trumper” can one be if they’re not willing to do like the one thing they can do to get him out?

There is no contradiction there. We will need major programs. Perhaps government programs. Perhaps driven by market forces. Major government intervention in 2 years would likely harm the economy, and create a backlash that will further slow innovation/desire in these areas. When the timeline I propose is “end of my kids’ lives”, and they are 6 and 8, and you juxtapose that horizon with the government going all in in 2021, there is no contradiction.

I get we all hate Trump. I just think the better alternative is a Bloomberg or other centrist as opposed to Warren and/or Bernie. I also think a centrist candidate is more plausible. I could spout nonsense like “a vote for Bernie in the primary is a vote for Trump” (because I don’t think Bernie will beat Trump) but of course I understand that not to be the case. Anyway, lesson learned - this is why posting on the Tunnels makes little sense. Hyperbolic, immature reactions and mischaracterizations eliminate the ability to have decent discourse. I’ll go back to lurking now.

So you're fine with the status quo and Donald because he hasn't really impacted you other than being an ass, whereas you're scared that a progressive might get elected and mess with the status quo which has benefitted you?

I mean at least you're honest about it and there are plenty that feel that way. The best bet IMO overall is for the number of people supporting progressive changes to continue to increase and that's the route we're headed so I'm thankful.

Great bumper sticker idea

Elizabeth Warren: "It's not like any of my crazy plans will get passed anyway!"

Figuratively, not literally.

The last guy won by saying Mexico was going to pay for a wall.

The guy before that had a crazy plan to reform health care that got passed and is now the status quo and the opposition party in all three branches of government couldn't undo it. It's only gotten more popular since.

Going back decades, Medicare itself was a crazy idea now in it's 6th decade.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to the end of your kids lifetime timeline but you might want to read a climate report, just these four years of trump may have straight up fucked us.

Back