• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I don't understand the "nothing matters" part of this

I think he's saying that if you don't care which specific method will pay for M4A then "nothing matters."

It's dumb.

Warren and Sanders are going to be pivotal in writing and passing it no matter what.

so, why don't we rely on them instead of a geriatric huckster has been who has dedicated his career to enriching these industries (which makes sense given that they're his constituents) and a novice #nowecanter whose single biggest political accomplishment was revitalizing a college downtown by displacing black homeowners and renters

Last edited:
I think he's saying that if you don't care which specific method will pay for M4A then "nothing matters."

It's dumb.

It's also a straw man argument. The proposals exist. You, itc, RJ, and Biff are welcome to read them. I won't hold my breath.

I'm still under the opinion that we need federal healthcare coverage for everyone. Due to the backlash from Obamacare, I don't think going directly there is the best course. Start with offering it to whomever wants it and let them show everyone how good it is and how much money they save. Then, let it spread until a majority have it.

I seem to recall lots of people asking about those things either before or after the fact.

The difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats let specifics get in the way of a good message. How we pay for shit literally doesn't matter at this stage. Messaging does. Hell, it's how Buttigieg has been able to gain so much ground on the other candidates. There is no "there" there in Buttigieg's policy proposals. It's just great messaging that appeals to midwestern Boomer rubes (and Ph).

If Sanders or Warren is the nominee at least $1.5 B will be spent telling the nation the Dems are taking away your insurance. It will be more prevalent that dick RX and beer combined on an NFL game. It makes no difference whether it's true or not.

This would be the #1-#10 ad issue. It will make chants of "lock her up" seem quaint. You can wish for all you want, but out of ivory towers and in taverns in Western PA, MI, WI and other places this will be the only issue.

It's also a straw man argument. The proposals exist. You, itc, RJ, and Biff are welcome to read them. I won't hold my breath.

You wouldn't have to hold your breath with me. As my most recent post states, it won't matter. All the GOP will say in BILLIONS in ads is "the Dems are taking away your insurance".

It's not true. It sucks, but it is reality.

If Sanders or Warren is the nominee at least $1.5 B will be spent telling the nation the Dems are taking away your insurance. It will be more prevalent that dick RX and beer combined on an NFL game. It makes no difference whether it's true or not.

This would be the #1-#10 ad issue. It will make chants of "lock her up" seem quaint. You can wish for all you want, but out of ivory towers and in taverns in Western PA, MI, WI and other places this will be the only issue.

This will be just as true for a public option.

You wouldn't have to hold your breath with me. As my most recent post states, it won't matter. All the GOP will say in BILLIONS in ads is "the Dems are taking away your insurance".

It's not true. It sucks, but it is reality.

You are freely admitting that the GOP would be lying with these ads right? And your premise seems to be that the ads will work, even though they are lies. So if that is the case, why wouldn't they run the same ads against Biden or Mayor Pete or whatever?

Tax cuts for the wealthy was he question. Not middle class. Hardly ever any opposition to that.

The problem is way more people think they are in the middle class than are actually in it.

You are freely admitting that the GOP would be lying with these ads right? And your premise seems to be that the ads will work, even though they are lies. So if that is the case, why wouldn't they run the same ads against Biden or Mayor Pete or whatever?

Because Bernie and Warren are saying get rid private insurance as a cornerstone and the others aren't. These ads will start as soon as it looks like Warren or Bernie is going to win the nomination.

Read my other posts, I want to get rid of private insurance (other than supplemental). But getting rid of Trump is more important than anything else.

Remember my first choice, Sherrod Brown, isn't running.

Back