• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

No analysis into gambling odds for the election for Donald are needed beyond he is guaranteed to be on the ballot and nobody else is. It's why the various Coastal champs had drastically better odds than Wake to win the ACC - they all still had a better chance of getting to the actual game than anyone else in the Atlantic did.

For general election odds just watch the "which party will win the 2020 presidential election" bet. When I checked a couple days ago those odds were both -115.

That plus 50 cents will buy you a couple gum balls

You're right, I'm just going to go tweet whiny shit hating everything.

Seriously, though, if more people realized that the system is flawed because the rubes votes count more than theirs and got behind the national popular vote interstate compact, and pushed legislators in their state to back it, there's an opportunity to solve the problem. But people on the left just want to bitch about their candidates.

Interesting how there was very little (zero?) chatter from the left on the "flawed" system or the "national popular vote" in 2008 or 2012.

What happened in 2016 to prompt a change in the rules?

Interesting how there was very little (zero?) chatter from the left on the "flawed" system or the "national popular vote" in 2008 or 2012.

What happened in 2016 to prompt a change in the rules?

Uh because the person who won the national popular vote was elected president in 2008 and 2012.

You're right, I'm just going to go tweet whiny shit hating everything.

Seriously, though, if more people realized that the system is flawed because the rubes votes count more than theirs and got behind the national popular vote interstate compact, and pushed legislators in their state to back it, there's an opportunity to solve the problem. But people on the left just want to bitch about their candidates.

I am active with a group working for AVR at the state level. I'm also a donor to the Bernie and Warren campaigns. Talk on the internet and act in real life.

Uh because the person who won the national popular vote was elected president in 2008 and 2012.
B-rad showing some of that sharp intellect that he demonstrated with his understanding of statistics!!

GwryK.png

:bowrofl:

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/15/pete-buttigieg-campaign-black-voters/

The blowback came immediately. Devine, who has not endorsed a candidate yet in the presidential election, told The Intercept that she did not intend her support for the plan to be read as an endorsement for Buttigieg’s candidacy, and believes the campaign was “intentionally vague” about the way it was presented.

“Clearly from the number of calls I received about my endorsement, I think the way they put it out there wasn’t clear, that it was an endorsement of the plan, and that may have been intentionally vague. I’m political, I know how that works,” she said. “I do think they probably put it out there thinking people wouldn’t read the fine print or wouldn’t look at the details or even contact the people and say, ‘Hey, you’re endorsing Mayor Pete?’”

Asked if she knew if any of the black supporters of the plan were also supporters of Buttigieg, she said she wasn’t sure. “The only ones I really knew were me and Rep. Thigpen,” she said. “I don’t know many — actually, now that I think about it, other than the folks working on Mayor Pete’s campaign, I don’t know of any local elected officials who have endorsed him yet.”

Thigpen, meanwhile, has endorsed Sen. Bernie Sanders for president, and was startled when he learned the campaign had not only attached his name to the plan, but also listed him as one of three prominent supporters atop the letter.

“How it was rolled out was not an accurate representation of where I stand,” Thigpen told The Intercept. “I didn’t know about its rolling out. Somebody brought it to my attention, and it was alarming to me, because even though I had had conversations with the campaign, it was clear to me, or at least I thought I made it clear to them, that I was a strong Bernie Sanders supporter — actually co-chair of the state, and I was not seeking to endorse their candidate or the plan. But what I had talked about was potentially giving them a quote of support in continuing the conversation, because I do think it’s a very important conversation.”

Warren releases more info about her planned transition to M4A. I need to read more, but this actually seems like a big deal. She is splitting it into 2 bills. The first bill is an immediate fix with a public option. This is likely to be super popular and a much easier to pass. The full single payor portion would come later as an entirely separate bill. This seems like a really smart way to do this.

https://elizabethwarren.com/plans/m4a-transition?source=soc-WB-ew-tw-rollout-20191115

Her #1-#100 problems are putting the genie of "She's going to take away your private insurance" back in the bottle. It's not going to be easy.

Warren releases more info about her planned transition to M4A. I need to read more, but this actually seems like a big deal. She is splitting it into 2 bills. The first bill is an immediate fix with a public option. This is likely to be super popular and a much easier to pass. The full single payor portion would come later as an entirely separate bill. This seems like a really smart way to do this.

https://elizabethwarren.com/plans/m4a-transition?source=soc-WB-ew-tw-rollout-20191115

You don't think this hands the GOP a midterm 2022 agenda?

If the full public option(including supplemental coverage) is up and going in 2022, the GOP won't have an issue as people will be loving saving so much money.

Stopping universal health care has been a GOP agenda item going back to whenever universal health care was first proposed anywhere in the world. I'm not sure of your point. They're going to do everything to stop anything Warren does anyway. I can't see them supporting the first bill and they won't support the second. There's something to be said for building Dem consensus and getting some momentum for the agenda.

I don't know. I need to read through this more. But my initial impression is if things are going well with the public option, it will be a much easier lift to convince people that single payer is a good idea. Also the hope is that the Senate map looks better at that time making it easier to pass. Now if it's going badly for some reason, that would definitely give them an agenda. But I think that's the case whether the initial bill is a public option or single payer from the jump.

Back