• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

My guy Larry Levitt weighing in. This in particular I think is an important point.

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/15/pete-buttigieg-campaign-black-voters/

The blowback came immediately. Devine, who has not endorsed a candidate yet in the presidential election, told The Intercept that she did not intend her support for the plan to be read as an endorsement for Buttigieg’s candidacy, and believes the campaign was “intentionally vague” about the way it was presented.

“Clearly from the number of calls I received about my endorsement, I think the way they put it out there wasn’t clear, that it was an endorsement of the plan, and that may have been intentionally vague. I’m political, I know how that works,” she said. “I do think they probably put it out there thinking people wouldn’t read the fine print or wouldn’t look at the details or even contact the people and say, ‘Hey, you’re endorsing Mayor Pete?’”

Asked if she knew if any of the black supporters of the plan were also supporters of Buttigieg, she said she wasn’t sure. “The only ones I really knew were me and Rep. Thigpen,” she said. “I don’t know many — actually, now that I think about it, other than the folks working on Mayor Pete’s campaign, I don’t know of any local elected officials who have endorsed him yet.”

Thigpen, meanwhile, has endorsed Sen. Bernie Sanders for president, and was startled when he learned the campaign had not only attached his name to the plan, but also listed him as one of three prominent supporters atop the letter.

“How it was rolled out was not an accurate representation of where I stand,” Thigpen told The Intercept. “I didn’t know about its rolling out. Somebody brought it to my attention, and it was alarming to me, because even though I had had conversations with the campaign, it was clear to me, or at least I thought I made it clear to them, that I was a strong Bernie Sanders supporter — actually co-chair of the state, and I was not seeking to endorse their candidate or the plan. But what I had talked about was potentially giving them a quote of support in continuing the conversation, because I do think it’s a very important conversation.”

This campaign keeps stepping on rakes in SC. The cost of pissing people off seems much greater than whatever they were hoping to get by announcing the "endorsements."

This campaign keeps stepping on rakes in SC. The cost of pissing people off seems much greater than whatever they were hoping to get by announcing the "endorsements."

They're trying way too hard.

haha well at least warren is trying, my point here being it seems like she's unnecessarily conceding ground

still more clever than an ITC gotcha

yeah, i should've just gone with the bernie bro favorite "why try?"

maybe next time

Or she's being more strategic about gaining ground by getting an early policy win to build momentum.

Seems like Warren is just putting out republican talking points that it can’t all be done at once, sad.

Yeah I suppose my concern with this strategy is it seems to acknowledge the fact that nobody is going to pass M4A next term, and stakes out a more moderate position to begin bargaining with conservatives over.

Anyway, it'll appease rj, I hope, and everybody else who loves their private insurance.

candidate bargains against self 14 months before getting inaugurated

As long as she gets inaugurated, I don't fucking care.

candidate bargains against self 14 months before getting inaugurated

Reality is a biotch.

But Townie thinks you can effectively change 1/7 of our economy (which would the fifth biggest economy in the world) overnight or with a magic wand, because he wants it to be that way.

Must change now! and his way only!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Fuck it all! It doesn't matter if we get to where he wants to be quicker and easier, it has to he HIS way and only HIS way! Fuck reality!!!

Yeah I suppose my concern with this strategy is it seems to acknowledge the fact that nobody is going to pass M4A next term, and stakes out a more moderate position to begin bargaining with conservatives over.

Anyway, it'll appease rj, I hope, and everybody else who loves their private insurance.

More moderate than M4A, sure, but that's a high bar. This is still a big change, and the relatively modest cost sharing seems in line with other OECD countries.

There will be no premiums for kids under 18 and people at or below 200% of the federal poverty level. For individuals above 200% FPL, premiums will gradually scale as a percentage of income and are capped at 5.0% of their income. Starting in year one, the plan will not have a deductible — meaning everyone gets first dollar coverage, and cost sharing will be zero for people at or below 200% FPL. Cost sharing will scale modestly for individuals at or above that level, with caps on out-of-pocket costs. In subsequent years, premiums and cost sharing for all participants in this plan will gradually decrease to zero.

In the last two months or so, we’ve seen Pete carve out a space between Sanders/Warren and Biden. Now we are seeing Warren carve a space between Sanders and Pete.

Reality is a biotch.

But Townie thinks you can effectively change 1/7 of our economy (which would the fifth biggest economy in the world) overnight or with a magic wand, because he wants it to be that way.

Must change now! and his way only!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Fuck it all! It doesn't matter if we get to where he wants to be quicker and easier, it has to he HIS way and only HIS way! Fuck reality!!!

Very normal 60+ year old person posting here.

In the last two months or so, we’ve seen Pete carve out a space between Sanders/Warren and Biden. Now we are seeing Warren carve a space between Sanders and Pete.

Think this is a good summary of where we are. Will be good to continue to thin the heard and put distance between candidates as we go forward.

More moderate than M4A, sure, but that's a high bar. This is still a big change, and the relatively modest cost sharing seems in line with other OECD countries.

Gotta spread rep as I appreciate you spelling out some details.

My concern as GND is my #1 item is that if this approach is what you're taking towards health, just wait til you see what we have to do to save the planet. It's pretty damn radical.

Very normal 60+ year old person posting here.

You post this:

"Anyway, it'll appease rj, I hope, and everybody else who loves their private insurance."

Your passive-aggressive style gets treated in kind. You use buzzwords and sarcasm and cry when you are treated with the same lack of respect you throw out.

Don't name me , insult me and expect not to be treated in the same way.

Last edited:
Back