• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Taken on its own who cares, but Pete’s campaign said he had 400 black endorsements, but it turns out half of them don’t endorse his plan or him, half are white, he is pulling stock photos of Africa, and his campaign isn’t even addressing the story.

Bad look.

I’m not expecting anything, but it would be great to hear LK, Shoo, and Sig respond your post.

For people interested in the health care debate, this working paper was a good read on medicare for all from an economics perspective. I still honestly don't know what the best overall design would be, but I think the paper makes a pretty compelling argument that if our goal is improving the well being of the population, and in particular the well being of the bottom and middle of the income distribution, moving to a program that provides an affordable basic benefit for everyone with an option to pay extra to "top up" with supplemental insurance may be a better approach than M4A. Obviously devil is in the details. Challenge in determining what should and shouldn't be covered in the basic benefit, etc.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w26472?utm_campaign=ntwh&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ntwg2

It’s broader than that. There are plenty of people for whom government = bad regardless of any particular facts. We see that in education as well.

Here’s a question for you. Let’s say a Democrat president sets up a M4A opt-in. Do you think most Republicans will choose the M4A that’s already paid for or choose to pay for private insurance out of pocket because government = bad?

I'd venture a guess a lot of Rs signed up for the ACA so likely.

For people interested in the health care debate, this working paper was a good read on medicare for all from an economics perspective. I still honestly don't know what the best overall design would be, but I think the paper makes a pretty compelling argument that if our goal is improving the well being of the population, and in particular the well being of the bottom and middle of the income distribution, moving to a program that provides an affordable basic benefit for everyone with an option to pay extra to "top up" with supplemental insurance may be a better approach than M4A. Obviously devil is in the details. Challenge in determining what should and shouldn't be covered in the basic benefit, etc.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w26472?utm_campaign=ntwh&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ntwg2

I have to spread rep, but this is a really interesting paper. Thanks for sharing.

I’m not expecting anything, but it would be great to hear LK, Shoo, and Sig respond your post.

Not sure why I'm included here. I've never been on the Butt-train, I've been with Warren.

I just think using a stock photo isn't a big deal at all (because it isn't), and not a fan of the bros' smear campaigns generally.

Not sure why I'm included here. I've never been on the Butt-train, I've been with Warren.

I just think using a stock photo isn't a big deal at all (because it isn't), and not a fan of the bros' smear campaigns generally.

I missed this earlier. I'm not a Pete guy either. I'm not a huge fan of any of the current crop, but plan on supporting the nominee when he/she is eventually chosen.

From the perspective that we need maximum enthusiasm for the eventual nominee from the entire big Democratic tent, this looks like a minor offense to black voters that might dampen enthusiasm from one of the Dem party’s most important demographics. It wouldn’t be a be deal if people would stop talking about it though.

From the perspective that we need maximum enthusiasm for the eventual nominee from the entire big Democratic tent, this looks like a minor offense to black voters that might dampen enthusiasm from one of the Dem party’s most important demographics. It wouldn’t be a be deal if people would stop talking about it though.

Only people talking it are the Bro's and far right websites playing the same smear games. Nobody actually cares.

Only people talking it are the Bro's and far right websites playing the same smear games. Nobody actually cares.

Yeah, so the ‘bro’s should probably shut up about it because if Pete is the nominee everyone has to unite behind him.

Yeah, so the ‘bro’s should probably shut up about it because if Pete is the nominee everyone has to unite behind him.

I think the Bros are only saying that because they still think Bernie is going to win.

I have a tough time seeing them lining up for Pete. They’re pretty convinced he’s a corporate fascist and nobody will support him because he’s gay.

Last edited:

that's why i felt like townie's point was a good one. it's not a big deal as a single event, but when you add up all of pete's gaffes when it comes to misrepresentation and black voters, it's all starting to feel a bit suspect. it's like the dude is viewing his campaign as a final paper in a college course or some shit.

ETA: I also like birdman's post, fwiw.

It just seems like dismissing this as "not that big of a deal" is setting up some issues down the line, assuming that Pete's campaign continues to make outlandish, only partially true claims involving black voters, and should he (shiver) emerge as the nominee in a few months.

Last edited:

It is quite telling that the only point the Times picked about the story is just the image. Glosses over the actual problems. The media bias will only continue to intensify.

Still, post NH, Pete looks like he might be struggling. And his nonwhite support is...nonexistent.

I think the Bros are only saying that because they still think Bernie is going to win.

I have a tough time seeing them lining up for Pete. They’re pretty convinced he’s a corporate fascist and nobody will support him because he’s gay.

I suppose this is easier than engaging with the actual content in question.

As a fan of Bernie who’ll “line up” for whoever the nominee is, these characterizations are annoying. Pete should stop doing bad and dumb things. That’s the story, not whether Bernie Bros are being too mean to him.

As a fan of Bernie who’ll “line up” for whoever the nominee is, these characterizations are annoying. Pete should stop doing bad and dumb things. That’s the story, not whether Bernie Bros are being too mean to him.

That’s fair. Pete should stop fucking up the messaging/delivery. It is way too important to get black voters out in massive percentages next fall to be fucking around with stock footage for your marquee black community policy initiatives.

I just hate to see anybody, bro or not, emphasize and re-emphasize the messaging fuck up. Pete might be the nominee; we all better learn to love each and every one of the front runners, prepare to donate and canvass. I haven’t been paying attention to the Dem primary because I don’t want to have any negative feelings or lack any enthusiasm about any of them.

I already did. I think the Pete campaign is panicking to address the memes that he's doing poorly with black voters. Everybody but Biden is doing poorly with black voters including black candidates.

Posting stock pictures = bad things. Lol.

I already did. I think the Pete campaign is panicking to address the memes that he's doing poorly with black voters. Everybody but Biden is doing poorly with black voters including black candidates.

Wait what? Biden is polling better than anyone with black voters.

Wait what? Biden is polling better than anyone with black voters.

Can you just not read? Re-read the post that you quoted and then ask yourself if your post adequately represents the content in the post that you quoted.

Back