• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

#anecdotes and all, but I personally know many people struggling with college debt

coupled with Townie's link, I'm gonna need to see data that it is a general election loser

The problem with those numbers is there is no context. I bet they are hugely net popular in CA, NY, NJ. What about PA? FL? MI? CO? AZ?

The reality is this isn't a national election. Polls should be focusing only on states that are in play.

Using multilevel regression and post-stratification (MRP) we modelled support for the Students Over Special Interests Act. In 38 states and DC, the legislation has net positive support and in 3 states support was neutral (the same share in support and opposed). In 29 states and DC, net support was greater than or equal to +5 and in 16 states and DC net support was greater than +10. Those states are DC, Vermont, Minnesota, Colorado, Oregon, Iowa, Massachusetts, Illinois, Maryland, Pennsylvania, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, California, Maine, New York and Washington.

But also, that's dumb. Policy isn't just for 5 states.

Here's another piece that should drum up some discussion:

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...-obama-2020-democrats-candidates-biden-073025

I think David Klion put it well: Obama’s post-presidency is grating and full of contradictions. He considers himself the leader of the party but refuses to lead. He considers himself a success but the mere fact of Trump’s presidency belies this. He won on hope and counsels hopelessness.

I don't really put so much of the blame or responsibility on Obama's shoulders, I think he's done enough. But the Dem establishment can't help itself, the whole Neera Tanden wing trying to save the country from a Bernie presidency.

I have not read anything that would suggest Obama thinks he is the leader of the party.

Winning the election is these days. That's what matters. Who cares about policy if Trump is re-elected?

You do realize EVERY POTUS changes or adds to their policy after being elected, don't you?

Here's another piece that should drum up some discussion:

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...-obama-2020-democrats-candidates-biden-073025

I think David Klion put it well: Obama’s post-presidency is grating and full of contradictions. He considers himself the leader of the party but refuses to lead. He considers himself a success but the mere fact of Trump’s presidency belies this. He won on hope and counsels hopelessness.

I don't really put so much of the blame or responsibility on Obama's shoulders, I think he's done enough. But the Dem establishment can't help itself, the whole Neera Tanden wing trying to save the country from a Bernie presidency.

another article re: Obama working to block Bernie: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-bernie-sanders-2020-nomination_n_5ddd31a1e4b00149f724793b

Same story as 2016. Bernie's the victim, it's all rigged against him, whiny bros. I'm already exhausted by it. That article is not very compelling, and doesn't really say anything supporting the claim that Obama is currently "working to block Bernie", but go off guys.

it's a rumor, but assuming true, how does "indicated he would speak up to stop Bernie Sanders from becoming the party’s nominee should the Vermont senator make significant gains" not indicate blocking Bernie?

lol scooooop !

“Back when Sanders seemed like more of a threat than he does now, Obama said privately that if Bernie were running away with the nomination, Obama would speak up to stop him,” according to Lizza’s report. It’s unclear exactly what period of time the Politico reporter was referring to.

Sanders, who lost the Democratic primary race to Hillary Clinton in 2016, has remained among the front-runners since announcing his second presidential bid in February. A Quinnipiac University poll conducted nationally last month of likely Democratic voters showed Sanders at 15%, trailing behind Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts at 28% and former Vice President Joe Biden at 21%.

Asked whether Obama would really step in to prevent a Sanders nomination, one adviser told Lizza that he “can’t really confirm that.

“He hasn’t said that directly to me,” said the adviser, who was not identified. “The only reason I’m hesitating at all is because, yeah, if Bernie were running away with it, I think maybe we would all have to say something. But I don’t think that’s likely. It’s not happening.”

it's a rumor, but assuming true, how does "indicated he would speak up to stop Bernie Sanders from becoming the party’s nominee should the Vermont senator make significant gains" not indicate blocking Bernie?

Blocking insinuates rigging. Speaking up is not blocking.

Assuming that it the Ukrainians and a 400 pound guy in his mommy's basement who really hacked the 2016 election, how doesn't that help Trump?

My assuming is as logical as yours.

Assuming that it the Ukrainians and a 400 pound guy in his mommy's basement who really hacked the 2016 election, how doesn't that help Trump?

My assuming is as logical as yours.

perhaps as logical, but nowhere near coherent

Yeah. It’s a shit article.

This is how you know it’s shit. “And if you ask how he got into Harvard or became a Rhodes Scholar, Mayor Pete would probably insist that it had nothing to do with whiteness.” Pete has spoken on his own white privilege plenty of times.

The quote from 2011 isn’t much different than what Obama said throughout his presidency. Doesn’t make it right but it’s not some virulent racism. It also makes the assumption that Pete learned nothing about race between Obama’s first term and the Trump era or between running for mayor and being mayor or from 29 to 37 years old.

Any politician who didnt see their views on racism evolve over the last 8-10 years doesnt deserve to hold elected office.

well, I'm guessing there are a few non-white politicians who might have held pretty steady views

Back