• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Are they protesting things that are true or all they making up BS? There’s a big difference.

Either way, I think it’s kind of silly to protest Dem candidates just to draw attention to yourself. At this point, the candidates aren’t really excluding anybody from their own agendas and they’re courting every possible vote. It’s not like early in Bernie’s 2016 campaign where he was running on class and ignoring race and protestors had to shock him into including race in his campaign platform. Every candidate in this election is openly taking about how they will address racism and discrimination. Seems like protestors are just trying to build up their own candidate by fomenting hate for other candidates instead of bringing forgotten issues to the table.

So what’s your criticism of how Pete is handling protestors?

This post sucks.

I have no criticism of how Pete is handling protestors. My criticism of Pete has been pretty consistent. I liked him when he entered the race as a progressive, and I’ve liked him less as he’s moved center, hired bad person Lis, gone back on his pledges about fundraising and transparency, punched left instead of at Trump or Biden, and as we’ve learned more about his very brief career.

If Pete and his policing/racial record has satisfied Ph, in full view of the hundreds of posts Ph has in the fascism thread, that is a meaningful data point to me, so I haven’t leaned heavily on that front. I resent TWMD’s insinuation otherwise.

It's a really poor view of climate activists or social movements in general. To imply that BLM or Sunrise Movement are just in it for attention or a specific candidate is really unfortunate. Also, PH continues to try to force this idea that everyone is the same/policy differences don't matter/we are all on the same team. Activists and organizers do a lot of painstaking unseen work. They take time away from their families/lives, sometimes put jobs/livelihoods at risk, or risk arrest/police violence. To diminish their work like PH is doing is gross.

Why do you say that if you think he’ll be an awful President?

We’ve seen what unqualified and relatively unqualified presidents look like in office. Luckily in 2020, the Democratic Party has plenty of qualified candidates who are ready to do the work of rebuilding the government post-Trump.

Again, Pete is mayor of South Bend. South Bend. Let’s see what he can do as a governor of a purple state. If he’s as good as you think he is, then he’ll do a great job and be back in the presidential picture with stronger credentials come 2024.

Where’s that picture of the white person shouting down the black woman during a black women event? I feel like that happens a lot here to a lesser degree. Maybe frame the question, Ph why do you disagree with BLM protesting Mayor Pete? As one of the only black posters why do you feel Pete is a better candidate for the black community than the other choices? Do you simply believe it’s his ability to implement his policies or is it the actual policies?

I've talked plenty about why I like Pete. Feel free to search for those posts. I'm not a big fan of directly protesting candidates who are directly engaging with voters.

I have no criticism of how Pete is handling protestors. My criticism of Pete has been pretty consistent. I liked him when he entered the race as a progressive, and I’ve liked him less as he’s moved center, hired bad person Lis, gone back on his pledges about fundraising and transparency, punched left instead of at Trump or Biden, and as we’ve learned more about his very brief career.

If Pete and his policing/racial record has satisfied Ph, in full view of the hundreds of posts Ph has in the fascism thread, that is a meaningful data point to me, so I haven’t leaned heavily on that front. I resent TWMD’s insinuation otherwise.

What's your problem with Pete's "policing/racial record?" Seems like the criticisms center around three things:
1. Firing the black police chief for illegally wiretapping racist cops, but not illegally listening to the wiretaps to fire the racist cops.
2. Not increasing the number of black police officers.
3. Police killed Eric Logan.

Pete admits he could have handled #1 differently and been more sensitive to the racial dynamics, but he was between a rock and a hard place.
#2 is dumb. Pete shouldn't be punished because black people don't want to be part of the problem of policing. That's some white "diversity will solve all the problems" BS.
#3 is punishing Pete for being a mayor of a city that has black people. Please tell what Bernie would do to completely stop shitty cops. Eric Logan's brother was the guy holding that BLM protestor who was shooting down black South Bend residents. Get out of here with the concern trolling.

It's a really poor view of climate activists or social movements in general. To imply that BLM or Sunrise Movement are just in it for attention or a specific candidate is really unfortunate. Also, PH continues to try to force this idea that everyone is the same/policy differences don't matter/we are all on the same team. Activists and organizers do a lot of painstaking unseen work. They take time away from their families/lives, sometimes put jobs/livelihoods at risk, or risk arrest/police violence. To diminish their work like PH is doing is gross.

This post is gross and purposefully distorts what I said. I was talking about a specific type of protesting that interferes with direct engagement between Dem candidates and voters. Please explain to me why people would do that if not to draw attention to their cause and/or in support of another candidate.

I'm not diminishing the work of these groups at all. But man, the optics of a white Hispanic man wearing a BLM t-shirt shouting down black people is very shitty.

As far as policy differences, I don't believe Democrats should engage in Trump style authoritarianism. So any Dem policies in a President Pete administration will likely be approved by Pete, Bernie, Warren, and The Squad. If Congress brings Pete an M4A without any private insurance, he'll sign it or risk being primaried. The differences between Dem candidates are so minute compared to the differences between the candidates and the GOP. I'm discouraged by any Dem candidate poisoning the well for a future nominee. We don't have the privilege of waiting through four more years of Trump because some people won't get on board come November. If you or your organization is more afraid of "Mayo Pete" than Trump, you're the problem.

We’ve seen what unqualified and relatively unqualified presidents look like in office. Luckily in 2020, the Democratic Party has plenty of qualified candidates who are ready to do the work of rebuilding the government post-Trump.

Again, Pete is mayor of South Bend. South Bend. Let’s see what he can do as a governor of a purple state. If he’s as good as you think he is, then he’ll do a great job and be back in the presidential picture with stronger credentials come 2024.

No. Using those kind of "requirements" limits the Dem presidential pool to only blue states.

More from Black Lives Matter South Bend:

Black Lives Matter-South Bend fully supports the actions of our members and allies at the Pete for America press conference held in South Bend, IN yesterday. This protest represents only a fraction of the longstanding pain many Black, Brown, and poor citizens endure in Mayor Pete’s South Bend. Mr. Buttigieg’s pattern of mismanagement and disregard for issues that affect many Black citizens include zero accountability for the police department and its Chief, zero implicit bias testing for officers, zero effort toward a democratically-elected Civilian Review Board with subpoena power, zero urgency in addressing housing the homeless, and zero effort in releasing “The Tapes.” We have called for these necessary changes, but Mr. Buttigieg has not answered sufficiently. If he truly cared about these issues -- if he cared about justice -- Mr. Buttigieg would have first been present at the meeting, and secondly have stood in the back of the room with us. Also, Black Lives Matter-South Bend does not espouse simplistic narratives of what someone must look like to stand up for injustices against Black, Brown and poor people. This is a fact that Mr. Buttigieg and his supporters should already know if they in fact support his so-called “Douglass Plan.”

Pete’s campaign team is pushing a false narrative that this was a violent act committed by a white, Bernie Sanders supporter, who snatched the microphone and pushed black women. Video clearly shows that he did not push anyone nor did he snatch the microphone from anyone’s hand. He grabbed it from the podium as the speaker and audience members attempted to stop a woman from hitting him with a cane. It is important to note that this man is a person of color. This man is also someone who lives in one of the poorest communities in the City of South Bend, sees homes being demolished, asbestos and debris from these demolitions spreading in the air without being properly sprayed (which is an environmental hazard), and the Mayor and his staff are doing little about it.

The event was a perfect example of Pete’s campaign strategy for Black America: 1) Prop up “Black Leaders,” most of whom are on his payroll, to speak on his behalf; 2) Speak about incremental changes at the end of his second term without addressing his years of neglect; 3) Ride his savior complex to the White House, while leaving his South Bend community broken and in disrepair.

What transpired last night is what participatory democracy looks like. It’s easy to focus on the particular protesters, but it takes courage to ask why there is still so much pain in poor communities. We ask people to embody this courage, to not be fooled by false promises and photo ops, and to understand the struggle our community continues to endure from the legacy of Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

Getting dangerously close to “there’s a right and wrong time for protesting” territory. You called climate activists bullies for standing up and holding a sign. You are engaging in some weird shit just to defend your guy.

No. Using those kind of "requirements" limits the Dem presidential pool to only blue states.

No they don’t. Clinton came from Arkansas. Obama came from Illinois. You claim Pete’s ability is to cross the aisle. Let him show that by winning a tough election. He’ll have to win red states to win the general.

Also, don’t generalize based on the current list of candidates. While they’re from the Northeast, Biden, Sanders, and Warren make up as qualified a slate as we’ve had in awhile (in my lifetime at least).

Getting dangerously close to “there’s a right and wrong time for protesting” territory. You called climate activists bullies for standing up and holding a sign. You are engaging in some weird shit just to defend your guy.

This. 100%. Ph is probably the closest poster this board has had to what we called “Bernie Bros” during the 2016 primary cycle.

Don’t be like those dudes, Ph. Pete isn’t perfect and he can be wrong. I don’t see an issue with peaceful protest at a political rally during primary season. I didn’t mind it when BLM interrupted Sanders last time around; I don’t mind it now.

More from Black Lives Matter South Bend:

Black Lives Matter-South Bend fully supports the actions of our members and allies at the Pete for America press conference held in South Bend, IN yesterday. This protest represents only a fraction of the longstanding pain many Black, Brown, and poor citizens endure in Mayor Pete’s South Bend. Mr. Buttigieg’s pattern of mismanagement and disregard for issues that affect many Black citizens include zero accountability for the police department and its Chief, zero implicit bias testing for officers, zero effort toward a democratically-elected Civilian Review Board with subpoena power, zero urgency in addressing housing the homeless, and zero effort in releasing “The Tapes.” We have called for these necessary changes, but Mr. Buttigieg has not answered sufficiently. If he truly cared about these issues -- if he cared about justice -- Mr. Buttigieg would have first been present at the meeting, and secondly have stood in the back of the room with us. Also, Black Lives Matter-South Bend does not espouse simplistic narratives of what someone must look like to stand up for injustices against Black, Brown and poor people. This is a fact that Mr. Buttigieg and his supporters should already know if they in fact support his so-called “Douglass Plan.”

Pete’s campaign team is pushing a false narrative that this was a violent act committed by a white, Bernie Sanders supporter, who snatched the microphone and pushed black women. Video clearly shows that he did not push anyone nor did he snatch the microphone from anyone’s hand. He grabbed it from the podium as the speaker and audience members attempted to stop a woman from hitting him with a cane. It is important to note that this man is a person of color. This man is also someone who lives in one of the poorest communities in the City of South Bend, sees homes being demolished, asbestos and debris from these demolitions spreading in the air without being properly sprayed (which is an environmental hazard), and the Mayor and his staff are doing little about it.

The event was a perfect example of Pete’s campaign strategy for Black America: 1) Prop up “Black Leaders,” most of whom are on his payroll, to speak on his behalf; 2) Speak about incremental changes at the end of his second term without addressing his years of neglect; 3) Ride his savior complex to the White House, while leaving his South Bend community broken and in disrepair.

What transpired last night is what participatory democracy looks like. It’s easy to focus on the particular protesters, but it takes courage to ask why there is still so much pain in poor communities. We ask people to embody this courage, to not be fooled by false promises and photo ops, and to understand the struggle our community continues to endure from the legacy of Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

I guess you'd be for people jumping onto the stage and stealing the mic at a Bernie event challenging all his votes for the NRA.

Or someone stealing the mic from Warren to attack her.

It wasn’t a Pete campaign event.

Marisol Samayoa, a spokeswoman for the Buttigieg campaign, said the event was not organized by the campaign. Also, Common Council member Karen White, who kicked off the event and called herself a moderator, said it was not meant as a political endorsement.

You cry like a stuck pick if people don't genuflect to your person or your ideas. But the non-answer/Trumpian deflection is perfectly expected.

Seems like Hogg and most of the anti gun protestors are generally ok with Bernie’s gun record the last decade or so. But if protestors on that front or like...idk free trade or something else Bernie is weak on wanted to civilly protest his event I’d be ok with it. And given his past lack of focus on racial equity in his campaign I’d definitely be ok if BLM protestors were at his events making noise.

But it hasn’t happened like that because Bernie is the most popular politician in America.

You cry like a stuck pick if people don't genuflect to your person or your ideas. But the non-answer/Trumpian deflection is perfectly expected.

And you need better autocorrect. We all have things we can work on.

This. 100%. Ph is probably the closest poster this board has had to what we called “Bernie Bros” during the 2016 primary cycle.

Don’t be like those dudes, Ph. Pete isn’t perfect and he can be wrong. I don’t see an issue with peaceful protest at a political rally during primary season. I didn’t mind it when BLM interrupted Sanders last time around; I don’t mind it now.

I have no idea what you’re talking about with the Bernie Bro comp. I’m happily willing to vote for any nominee. I’m far from Pete or bust.

It’s frustrating having these arguments because I’m saying where Pete is wrong and right. But you claim I’m not because I’m defending him from ridiculous claims.

The climate activists didn’t get to bully Pete because he politely gave them a platform and addressed them. What was their point anyway? What about a Pete were they protesting? And you would think we learned our lesson about from last year with respect to Wall State Pete. Pushing that nonsense promotes the idea that Pete would be no different than the Republicans on Wall Street which would depress Dem turnout.

No they don’t. Clinton came from Arkansas. Obama came from Illinois. You claim Pete’s ability is to cross the aisle. Let him show that by winning a tough election. He’ll have to win red states to win the general.

Also, don’t generalize based on the current list of candidates. While they’re from the Northeast, Biden, Sanders, and Warren make up as qualified a slate as we’ve had in awhile (in my lifetime at least).

Clinton was elected in a different less polarized era.

Illinois is a blue state.

I’m not generalizing based on the current candidates at all. I’m saying that if you’re requiring candidates to have been senators or governors, you’re making the road much tougher for red state Democrats like Pete or Abrams or Gillum or Castro. The fact that you’re not forcing the same requirement on Castro shows that you’re not making a good faith argument.

Back