• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

ziggy says that base for pay an experienced prof. is somewhere slightly under $100k, which tracks for most of academia. they might make a bit more on grants and or book sales but top end of the distribution?

Papa Buttigieg was maybe in the $150-200K range if he was that big time. Philosophy isn't one of the fields that brings in the big $$$. They're not bringing in large grants or running big labs.

Last edited:
Papa Buttigieg was maybe in the $150-200K range if he was that big time. Philosophy isn't one of the fields that brings in the big $$$. They're not bringing in large grants or running big labs.

The top profs in my department pull in 350+ in salary. I'm at a public school at a cash strapped university. Papa B probably did really well for himself.

ziggy says that base for pay an experienced prof. is somewhere slightly under $100k, which tracks for most of academia. they might make a bit more on grants and or book sales but top end of the distribution?

Keep in mind that Notre Dame is a private university and a prestigious one at that. $100k is just above what new hires are getting in my department right now and I'm at a first tier public in a broke system.

Anyway

Keep in mind that Notre Dame is a private university and a prestigious one at that. $100k is just above what new hires are getting in my department right now and I'm at a first tier public in a broke system.

You're in LA in 2019.

The top profs in my department pull in 350+ in salary. I'm at a public school at a cash strapped university. Papa B probably did really well for himself.

PM me if you all looking for a senior professor who students education and gets that NSF $$$.

. I guess my question for good Marxists out there is how we build a revolution of class consciousness in America and the West today about our place as labor. Is it lost now that we're an individualist society? Is it too manifest in culture? There simply won't be another Bernie Sanders in the next or any foreseeable generation. People are only getting more and more beat down.

For me, I've put significant stock in the idea that Warren is sort of the next best thing, the cynic's answer to Bernie. But there's something about Pete that utterly breaks my brain, that smart people have this cognitive dissonance about him and what he represents. He to me is more like a Dem Trump than anyone, not because he's a demagogue but because he's a Harvard/Oxford/McKinsey guy talking about corruption and a Douglass Plan. And seemingly people buy it because of either meritocracy or because they actually think his policy is good! Or they're charmed by him or some such thing. I don't begrudge a Klob voter because Klob tells you exactly who she is, she's quite literally the "no we can't" candidate. I don't begrudge most Biden voters because they're just grilling grandpas having backyard barbecues at their retirement communities. They couldn't tell you who Neera Tanden was to save their lives. I envy that. I don't begrudge Yang voters because more than any other candidate, I think his supporters really like his ideas more than who he is or what he represents. But who is Pete for? Seemingly just the managerial class or some similar hyperspecific

I don’t think I agree with this and we are fucked if you are right. From all the grassroots organizing and electoral work flowing through a variety of different orgs: Sunrise Mvmt, DSA, Our Rev, BLM, Cosecha, labor unions (particularly teachers and other professions seeing increases in mass direct action), we have to be developing working class leaders to push this movement forward. I hope we can already consider folks like Salazar or Tlaib or AOC and many others as furthering this movement beyond Bernie’s role.
IDK there's too much rambling there, but I didn't want to argue, just wanted to brain dump.

Ah fuck. Well my response is in your quote, but hopefully makes sense.

Anyway

Pete was at 11% with voters 18-34 two weeks ago. Bernie went up from 28% to 52%. That's a lot of volatility in just two weeks. Either people had a reckoning over Thanksgiving or there's a polling issue.

Nov 26
Biden 24%
Pete 16%
Warren 14%
Bernie 13%

Dec 10
Biden 29%
Sanders 17%
Warren 15%
Pete 9%

Bloomberg seems to have stolen some of Pete's thunder. He's sitting around 5% across all groups

Hey guys, this is a meaningless discussion, and I am posting meaningless information related to this discussion:

Net worth of candidates;
Michael Bloomberg
$53.4 billion

Donald Trump
$3.1 billion

Tom Steyer
$1.6 billion

John Delaney
$200 million

Michael Bennet
$15 million

Elizabeth Warren
$12 million

Joe Sestak
$6 million

Joe Biden
$9 million

Kamala Harris (out-- too rich)
$6 million

Beto O'Rourke (out - too rich)
$4 million

Bill de Blasio
$2.5 million

Bernie Sanders (clearly has too much money to be trusted)
$2.5 million

Jay Inslee
$2 million

Amy Klobuchar
$2 million

Cory Booker
$1.5 million

Marianne Williamson
$1.5 million

Kirsten Gillibrand
$1 million

Steve Bullock
$1.5 million

Seth Moulton
$1 million

Andrew Yang
$1 million

Julian Castro
$700,000

Tulsi Gabbard
$500,000

Tim Ryan
$500,000

Pete Buttigieg $100,000

Wayne Messam

Deval Patrick

William Weld

Joe Walsh (tied up in unpaid child support).

Weird how y’all continue to conflate personal wealth with one’s ability to represent working class people or not be a class traitor. Buttigieg and Bernie could swap zeros and Buttigieg would still be the McKinsey consultant taking billionaire money and running away from progressive stances.

Weird how y’all continue to conflate personal wealth with one’s ability to represent working class people or not be a class traitor. Buttigieg and Bernie could swap zeros and Buttigieg would still be the McKinsey consultant taking billionaire money and running away from progressive stances.

RawCompassionateCanine.webp

Nope. I don't think anybody is saying that. And if you actually believed it, you would only refer to policy not personal background.

I’m the one arguing policy matters. You seem to be all over the place as to when/if it matters.

Back